Sign in with
Your question

CPU speed comparison

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2003 1:25:13 PM

Maybe someone would be good enough to explain to a novice how to compare CPU speeds.
Back in November 2001 I built a system with the Athlon XP 1600 processor. Speed of 1.4 GHz. If I understand correctly a new Athlon XP Barton 2500+ has a speed of 1.833.

However after a year and a half is the only difference in processing speed .433? I was going to build a new system, but it hardly seems worth it.

I understand that the FSB speed is only how fast information is sent out and not in addition to the processor speed itself.

I must be missing something here. Is my comparsion correct or is there some other way to compare CPU speeds.

Thanks Jim

More about : cpu speed comparison

August 12, 2003 1:35:52 PM

well...amds pr ratings have gotten pretty screwed up with the release of the 800mhz bus intel cpu's...

BTW...the barton has more cache than tbred cpu's...thus it has a slight performance advantage...

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:
August 12, 2003 2:25:07 PM

are you still using palomino here?

<i><font color=purple>
"I'll Take A Quiet Life
A Handshake to Carbon Monoxide" -Th.Y.
</i><font color=purple>
August 13, 2003 9:53:24 AM

heya Lykele;

If you have been in the AMD camp a long time and think you are AMD for life, now may be a good time to rethink that position, Take a look at the Intel benchmarks as of late, AMD is looking pretty sad at the moment, they are getting spanked hard core by intel, the p4c is just killin em.

Time to switch camps, if you want the most bang for your buck your gonna have to suck it up and go Intel.

XeeN
!