Sign in with
Your question

I cannot figure this out to save my life.

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2009 9:52:21 PM

Every since I've swapped out my old motherboard and upgraded to vista then windows 7 (I had xp) when I play warcraft3 and join a game that's multiplayer, I get horrible fps or what I would call game play lag, it studder then goes smooth, then studders again. Nothing I've done can fix it. I've dl all the updated drivers for my gpu (HIS radeon x1950) all the updates for windows 7, and my motherboard, I've ran it as administrator, I've done the compatibility modes. I even installed vista as a dual boot to see if it would work back in vista and it doesn't. I am just unable to play a simple game like warcraft 3 when I was able to find in windows xp.

Any ideas?

More about : figure save life

October 31, 2009 10:01:55 PM

Oh I have an Athlon 64 3400
2gb of ram running both vista and windows 7 32 bit
HIS Radeon x1950 pro iceq
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2009 6:48:12 AM

are you on a wired, or wireless connection?

im tihnking your ethernet port/controller might be having some issues.

and are you using the same hard drive and ram as before?
is your HDD activity light blinking when the slowdown occurs? it could be having trouble moving data between ram and hdd, which could cause the issue. this is quite common on games that move alot between the two, and WIII is a main cuplrit over on the n10 forums.

if the HDD light is blinking id say either the RAM or HDD is casuing issue, otherwise id assume ethernet.
m
l
Related resources
November 1, 2009 6:57:18 AM

To me it sounds like classic hard-drive lag, either because of multiple OS upgrades (have you tried reinstalling win7?)

or because the HDD is getting old - not sure how valid this is, but i'm convinced hdd performance drops off after a few years regardless of reformats and reinstillations - ive occaisionally bought a new hdd cloned across and then watched the system fly.....
m
l
November 1, 2009 6:59:51 AM

the other thing is maybe a RAM upgrade (bear in mind youll only be able to see 3gb) windows xp runds very happily with 2gb, vista and 7 are happier with a little bit more....

open task manger before you start WOW then when it starts stuttering ctrl-alt-del and see what your memory and cpu has been doing
m
l
November 1, 2009 7:29:38 AM

It could be the firewall jerking you around

Click Control Panel ----> Security Center ----> Windows Firewall--> Allow program through Firewall in the upper left menu ---> Check box for Warcraft 3
m
l
November 1, 2009 2:58:41 PM

will_chellam said:
To me it sounds like classic hard-drive lag, either because of multiple OS upgrades (have you tried reinstalling win7?)

or because the HDD is getting old - not sure how valid this is, but i'm convinced hdd performance drops off after a few years regardless of reformats and reinstillations - ive occaisionally bought a new hdd cloned across and then watched the system fly.....

The hard drive is brand new actually because after I replaced my mobo with another one, although it was older model also, I replaced my hard drive because I couldn't get the motherboard to recongize my sata drive. So I bought a new ide drive.
m
l
November 1, 2009 3:06:31 PM

exit2dos said:
It could be your router. I had to replace mine when I first upgraded to Vista.

MS has a tool for checking your router's compatability:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/defaul...

Thanks for the tool I just ran it and got two parts that were unsupported, but I didn't understand them 100%, I think I have an idea to what they were saying though:

Network Address Translator Type
One primary function of most home Internet routers is Network Address Translation (NAT). Routers providing NAT support assign private IP addresses on the local network. NAT maps these private addresses on the inside network to a public IP address on the outside network so that computers behind the Internet router can communicate with the rest of the Internet. Since Network Address Translators can work in different ways, this test uses Microsoft servers to identify your router's NAT type. Some protocols work better through routers that act as cone-type NATs than routers that act as symmetric-type NATs.

A result of "Not supported" in this test does not impact your basic Internet connectivity. One possible reason for this result may be that your computer is connecting through an Internet router that acts as a symmetric NAT (view the detailed report to determine if this is the case). Microsoft has determined that symmetric NATs can block the traffic of programs that use IPv6 tunneling over IPv4 (see Teredo Overview for details of how this works). Failure to connect using IPv6 may cause these programs to not run or to have a degraded experience. It is also possible that the servers used to determine the NAT type are temporarily unreachable, in which case running the test again later will give a more accurate result.

That was one and the other:

UPnP Support Test

Many applications need to open ports (allow incoming traffic) through an Internet router, particularly when both communicating endpoints are behind different NATs. Modern routers allow hosts to create such open ports using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). This test ensures that the router has UPnP enabled, can support a reasonable number of open ports, and can maintain these settings.

If this test does not succeed, experiences using certain programs may be degraded. However, your basic Internet connectivity should not be affected

Could I be receiving unsupported because I have a vonage router hooked up to my cable modem?
m
l
November 1, 2009 3:23:26 PM

exit2dos said:
It could be your router. I had to replace mine when I first upgraded to Vista.

MS has a tool for checking your router's compatability:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/defaul...

Thanks for the tool I just ran it and got two parts that were unsupported, but I didn't understand them 100%, I think I have an idea to what they were saying though:

Network Address Translator Type
One primary function of most home Internet routers is Network Address Translation (NAT). Routers providing NAT support assign private IP addresses on the local network. NAT maps these private addresses on the inside network to a public IP address on the outside network so that computers behind the Internet router can communicate with the rest of the Internet. Since Network Address Translators can work in different ways, this test uses Microsoft servers to identify your router's NAT type. Some protocols work better through routers that act as cone-type NATs than routers that act as symmetric-type NATs.

A result of "Not supported" in this test does not impact your basic Internet connectivity. One possible reason for this result may be that your computer is connecting through an Internet router that acts as a symmetric NAT (view the detailed report to determine if this is the case). Microsoft has determined that symmetric NATs can block the traffic of programs that use IPv6 tunneling over IPv4 (see Teredo Overview for details of how this works). Failure to connect using IPv6 may cause these programs to not run or to have a degraded experience. It is also possible that the servers used to determine the NAT type are temporarily unreachable, in which case running the test again later will give a more accurate result.

That was one and the other:

UPnP Support Test

Many applications need to open ports (allow incoming traffic) through an Internet router, particularly when both communicating endpoints are behind different NATs. Modern routers allow hosts to create such open ports using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). This test ensures that the router has UPnP enabled, can support a reasonable number of open ports, and can maintain these settings.

If this test does not succeed, experiences using certain programs may be degraded. However, your basic Internet connectivity should not be affected

Could I be receiving unsupported because I have a vonage router hooked up to my cable modem?
m
l
November 1, 2009 3:41:41 PM

I think I am going to go purchase one more stick of ram a gb.

Edit: well added another gig of ram but to no avail. I did notice the cpu spiking toward 100% when I had the game going. Anyway to remedy this? can i overclock an amd 64 3400+ ?
m
l
November 1, 2009 7:19:38 PM

So my cpu is spiking to 100% like crazy, any idea if this is the culprit and how to go about fixing it?

Edit: fixed that but that still didn't help, weird thing is, I can play WoW but not warcraft 3.
m
l
!