matching CPU?clock speed on new nForce2

RatLabGuy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Hi, folks, I've been out of the "loop on PC hardware for a little while now, so I need a quick suggestion/help on a mobo upgrade.
I have a kt266A board (1800+, 512m 266 DDR) that is failing on me, need sto be replaced. Shooting for an nForce board, maybe Epox, but not stuck on any in particular? Anyway, I was thinking of going ahead and getting a Barton 333 2500+ while I was at it to get ahead on the performance boost.
To save money, I'd prefer not to change ou the memory too - is it possible to run the memory CPU asynchronously like this? Is this crazy?
This is a stats/lab machine, so stability is key over overclocking etc.

Oh, I've also noted some board are listed as "use 1.5v AGP only". What's up with that?

Thanks guys!

Question Reality - Its a lot less real than you think

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
that means that they don't follow agp 3.0 standards...this does not necissarly mean it cannot run agp 8x...just that it runs an 8x card with a 1.5v signaling voltage (pretty weird IMO)...

Well if you get a dual channel board it won't be so bad...i mean...you will add latency by running the mem asynch from the bus...but dual channel will help you out and provide the cpu with more than enough banwith...assuning you have two modules...

So it is not crazy...but if you have some dough...pc2700 or 3200 (for overclocking) would add some performance...i am gonna estimate that you are gonna get a 10-15% performance decrease...which is not too bad if ya need to save some coin...

i recomend the 8rda+ and the NF7-S mobos

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue: