Unable to safely remove hardware

July 12, 2005 7:52:01 AM

Hi,

Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were lost
recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell me how
do I get the icon back?

Thanx
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:36:22 PM

Hi,

Have you tried restarting the computer? Sometimes the taskbar icons don't
show up and require a restart or two to have them show up again.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were lost
> recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell me
> how
> do I get the icon back?
>
> Thanx
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:42:09 PM

you say 'some of the icons' in the lower right, so that makes me think that
nothing is really wrong, just needs to be changed a bit. Check to see how
you have them set, to always show, hide when inactive, etc. To do that,
first right click your taskbar>properties, and see if the Hide Inactive
Icons box is checked. Then, if that box is checked, click the 'customize'
box next to it, and there you will find some options for how you want
certain icons displayed.

"EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were lost
> recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell me
> how
> do I get the icon back?
>
> Thanx
July 13, 2005 2:27:02 AM

Its lost for quite a few days already, and I've restarted numerous time, what
else can I do to get them back

Thanx
Ed

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried restarting the computer? Sometimes the taskbar icons don't
> show up and require a restart or two to have them show up again.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were lost
> > recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell me
> > how
> > do I get the icon back?
> >
> > Thanx

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:31:01 AM

Hi Ivee

I know this function, I've always choose "hide when inactive" for most of
the icons, including the "safely remove hardware" icon. But now the icon,
together with power icon, and sound icon is lost totally. When I tried to
customise the setting again, it shows all these icons as "past icons". I
could get the sound and power icon back by setting in the respective file in
control panel, but it seems that these 2 icons would go lost again after the
next restart of the computer. As for the "safely remove hardware" icon, I do
not know how to get it back. Can you help me on this.

Thanx
Ed

"lvee" wrote:

> you say 'some of the icons' in the lower right, so that makes me think that
> nothing is really wrong, just needs to be changed a bit. Check to see how
> you have them set, to always show, hide when inactive, etc. To do that,
> first right click your taskbar>properties, and see if the Hide Inactive
> Icons box is checked. Then, if that box is checked, click the 'customize'
> box next to it, and there you will find some options for how you want
> certain icons displayed.
>
> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were lost
> > recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell me
> > how
> > do I get the icon back?
> >
> > Thanx

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:01:43 PM

okay, try this..
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm

> Hi Ivee
>
> I know this function, I've always choose "hide when inactive" for most of
> the icons, including the "safely remove hardware" icon. But now the icon,
> together with power icon, and sound icon is lost totally. When I tried to
> customise the setting again, it shows all these icons as "past icons". I
> could get the sound and power icon back by setting in the respective file
> in
> control panel, but it seems that these 2 icons would go lost again after
> the
> next restart of the computer. As for the "safely remove hardware" icon, I
> do
> not know how to get it back. Can you help me on this.
>
> Thanx
> Ed
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> you say 'some of the icons' in the lower right, so that makes me think
>> that
>> nothing is really wrong, just needs to be changed a bit. Check to see
>> how
>> you have them set, to always show, hide when inactive, etc. To do that,
>> first right click your taskbar>properties, and see if the Hide Inactive
>> Icons box is checked. Then, if that box is checked, click the
>> 'customize'
>> box next to it, and there you will find some options for how you want
>> certain icons displayed.
>>
>> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were
>> > lost
>> > recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell
>> > me
>> > how
>> > do I get the icon back?
>> >
>> > Thanx

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:08:37 PM

hope you got my last post. for some reason, some of my posts are not
displaying for me.

"EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ivee
>
> I know this function, I've always choose "hide when inactive" for most of
> the icons, including the "safely remove hardware" icon. But now the icon,
> together with power icon, and sound icon is lost totally. When I tried to
> customise the setting again, it shows all these icons as "past icons". I
> could get the sound and power icon back by setting in the respective file
> in
> control panel, but it seems that these 2 icons would go lost again after
> the
> next restart of the computer. As for the "safely remove hardware" icon, I
> do
> not know how to get it back. Can you help me on this.
>
> Thanx
> Ed
>
> "lvee" wrote:
>
>> you say 'some of the icons' in the lower right, so that makes me think
>> that
>> nothing is really wrong, just needs to be changed a bit. Check to see
>> how
>> you have them set, to always show, hide when inactive, etc. To do that,
>> first right click your taskbar>properties, and see if the Hide Inactive
>> Icons box is checked. Then, if that box is checked, click the
>> 'customize'
>> box next to it, and there you will find some options for how you want
>> certain icons displayed.
>>
>> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Some of the icons on the bottom right hand corner of the screen were
>> > lost
>> > recently, including the "Safely remove Hardware" icon. Anyone can tell
>> > me
>> > how
>> > do I get the icon back?
>> >
>> > Thanx

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:43:09 PM

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

lvee wrote:
> hope you got my last post. for some reason, some of my posts are not
> displaying for me.
>
> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ivee
> >
> > I know this function, I've always choose "hide when inactive" for most
> > of the icons, including the "safely remove hardware" icon. But now the
> > icon, together with power icon, and sound icon is lost totally. When I
> > tried to customise the setting again, it shows all these icons as "past
> > icons". I could get the sound and power icon back by setting in the
> > respective file in
> > control panel, but it seems that these 2 icons would go lost again after
> > the
> > next restart of the computer. As for the "safely remove hardware" icon,
> > I do
> > not know how to get it back. Can you help me on this.
> >
> > Thanx
> > Ed
> >
> > "lvee" wrote:
> >
> > > you say 'some of the icons' in the lower right, so that makes me think
> > > that
> > > nothing is really wrong, just needs to be changed a bit. Check to
> > > see how
> > > you have them set, to always show, hide when inactive, etc. To do
> > > that, first right click your taskbar>properties, and see if the Hide
> > > Inactive Icons box is checked. Then, if that box is checked, click
> > > the 'customize'
> > > box next to it, and there you will find some options for how you want
> > > certain icons displayed.
> > >
> > > "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:38:47 AM

Thanks, PA Bear...I forgot all about the Google Groups, I appreciate
the link.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:54:14 PM

Well, I subscribed and replied before I read all the info, Shame on me.. and
I do not like what I see..how can I post from the Google Groups w/out my
email addy being attached.?

news:o OMY9w$hFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> lvee wrote:
>> hope you got my last post. for some reason, some of my posts are not
>> displaying for me.
>>
>> "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ivee
>> >
>> > I know this function, I've always choose "hide when inactive" for most
>> > of the icons, including the "safely remove hardware" icon. But now the
>> > icon, together with power icon, and sound icon is lost totally. When I
>> > tried to customise the setting again, it shows all these icons as "past
>> > icons". I could get the sound and power icon back by setting in the
>> > respective file in
>> > control panel, but it seems that these 2 icons would go lost again
>> > after
>> > the
>> > next restart of the computer. As for the "safely remove hardware" icon,
>> > I do
>> > not know how to get it back. Can you help me on this.
>> >
>> > Thanx
>> > Ed

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:39:51 PM

AFAIK you need to use a valid address for authentication if you post using
Google Groups.

Better: Stick with OE as you're using now and access the MS newsgroups using
the MS newsserver news://msnews.microsoft.com. No subscriptions or
passwords and you can "munge" your address.

OE Tools > Options > Read > Get XX headers at a time (uncheck this option)

OE View > Current View > Make sure your settings here aren't hiding any
(unread) messages.
--

lvee wrote:
> Well, I subscribed and replied before I read all the info, Shame on me..
> and I do not like what I see..how can I post from the Google Groups w/out
> my email addy being attached.?

> news:o OMY9w$hFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > lvee wrote:
> > > hope you got my last post. for some reason, some of my posts are not
> > > displaying for me.
> > >
> > > "EAKAZ" <EAKAZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:12:47 PM

Ya, I guess that's what I'll do, but it irks me that you can't post w/out
having your addy show, well, I have the fake one listed in OE, and that's
what shows while I'm in the Google Groups, but if I post from Google, my
real addy shows in OE...bummer.

!