Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Master of Orion II and Windows 7 - graphical glitch

Last response: in Video Games
November 1, 2009 1:45:15 AM

I'm trying to get my favorite game to work on Windows 7.

The game works fine if you set compatibility at least at 640x480. However, the color pallette seems off as if it needed to go lower than 16bit to work correctly.

I had made it worked on Vista no problem I just don't rememember what I did exactly as it was a few years ago.

Has anyone installed this back on Win7?

Could it be my graphic card settings? The lowest resolution it goes is 800x600 and 16bit color depth.
November 1, 2009 10:55:04 AM

there doesn't seem to be much information out there currently regarding Moo2 and windows 7. I just came across this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=324477

this was obtained by doing google search 'masters of orion 2 running on windows 7'. The suggestion was to use DOSBox though I have never used dosbox.

Perhaps as time goes by more user data will become available as people with windows 7 try to get old classic games such as Moo2 working on the new operating system and a 'best solution' will be found. However there currently doesn't seem to be a best solution.

I remember playing Moo2 to death a few years back, at the highest level of difficulty it did present a challenge. A good starting position was essential, otherwise it was game over within the first few turns. However once I had finally mastered the game a couple of things did eventually put me off it. The first thing was it became quite easy to exploit the AI with the right technology, namely in ship-to-ship combat the ability to teleport troops from the player's ships to enemy AI ships and by that means take over the enemy AI ships and add them to the player's fleet. The second thing that put me off was the inability to use tractor beam technology in ship battles without the game crashing after a time. However the fault may have been due to modern and incompatible nvidia graphic card technology.

Might try space empires V next.

Score
November 2, 2009 6:38:34 AM

yea i used dosbox but i didnt try it with win7 but should be the same
ps top game but i preferred orion 1
Score
Related resources
November 2, 2009 8:58:39 PM

I'm with ya , you have to force the screen size and idk. I love Moo2, and I'm having problems too.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
February 6, 2010 7:08:33 PM

Hi,
I figured out you have to kill explorer.exe process. I don't know why, but it works!
By the way, this problem is in more old games... like Age Of Empires etc...

i hope it help ;) 
Score
July 16, 2010 3:07:05 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I figured out you have to kill explorer.exe process. I don't know why, but it works!
By the way, this problem is in more old games... like Age Of Empires etc...

i hope it help ;) 

Another option is to open the Display control panel in Win7, then click the adjust resolution tab, then leave that window open. When you launch Orion95.exe the colors should be fine. I discovered this solution for Fallout 1 when I used Google to look for the graphical issues for that game.

This only fixes the colors in Moo2. The game is still unstable and crashes constantly.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2010 11:26:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!