Sign in with
Your question

Windows is just restarting on its own

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2003 7:31:28 PM

Everytime i connect to my dsl an error message comes up after a few minutes that says shutdown initiated by the nt authority\system because the remote procedure call service terminated unexpectadly. It gives me a 60 second countdown then restarts on its own. Does anybody know how to fix this? It is really just about the most anoying thing ever.

Running windows xp professional
radeon 9000 pro
pentium 3 700
384 mb ram

<b>Best pickup line ever:</b>
<font color=blue>Are your parents retarded?</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Because you are sure special</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xafgoat on 08/12/03 05:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : windows restarting

August 12, 2003 9:11:29 PM

Are you logged as Administrator on the system?

Make sure both the Remote Procedure Call are set to automatic under Services.

Disable auto-shutdown in your Network settings.

---
The difference between theory and practise in practise is greater than the difference between theory and practise in theory.
Related resources
August 12, 2003 9:15:43 PM

"MSBlaster" is considered a time bomb.

Its code directs infected computers to assault Microsoft's support Web page with a barrage of requests beginning this Saturday. This type of attack is referred to as "denial of service." The attacks are also programmed to occur any day from September to December, then the 16th to the 31st of each month starting next year.

It does this at random, not everytime the computer is on the network.

---
The difference between theory and practise in practise is greater than the difference between theory and practise in theory.
August 12, 2003 9:42:43 PM

Sounds like you got the W32.Randex virus!

It does exactly as you described and will make the system shut down after 60 sec. The virus has been very active since monday morning (GMT), and has spread all over the world. Search for an update against the W32.Randex! I´m using Norton´s antivirus which is secure against the Randex.

Are you using antivirus at all?

---
August 12, 2003 10:01:35 PM

Actually i dont have an anti virus right now, which one would anyone recomend that is rather inexpensive?

<font color=red>Because you are sure special</font color=red>
August 12, 2003 10:07:34 PM

First I´d download a time-trial or shareware version of Norton Antivirus or any other big security manufactor RIGHT NOW and make a complete scan of the system!!!

I know Norton is very up-to-date with their protection, Norton´s the only one I´ve ever used, ever needed!

---
August 12, 2003 11:45:37 PM

Well downloaded the new windows security patch and norton anti virus which couldnt fix it but gave me a link to get rid of the virus and now everything is running smoothly. Thanks for the help guys, this forum is the best.

<font color=red>Because you are sure special</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xafgoat on 08/12/03 07:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 13, 2003 10:54:50 AM

i had the same problem yesterday morning. i went to windows update and downloaded all the critical updates one by one because when i tried them all at once it kept on bombing. after all of them were installed properly, the whole proccess took 3 hours because of the constant crashes. i then ran the disk checker.

i was on several times later that morning and a couple of times this morning (i have to log on and off several times so i can fax things (resume's)) and the problem has gone away so far. i don't have any virus software and i'm running xp home sp1. at 1st i thought it was the demo of tron 2.0 that i downloaded on saturday, thank goodness it wasn't cause i spent 13 hours, 10 min. downloading it. WOW! what a game.
!