No 'you have new e-mail'

July 12, 2005 8:18:03 AM

ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly long
and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running XP home.
Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
PROBLEM: No email information on:
(a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared -something
I did, probably)
(b) Notification area/systray (never there)
I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
TRIED:
(a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
(b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But how?
HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the registry
(wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of incomprehensibles.
--
No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all debate.

More about : mail

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:12:29 PM

Read the instructions at the top
100. Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen - Undo
Click on - Undo

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7C93D023-BFFB-499E-B983-E5379E25A920@microsoft.com,
Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly
> long and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running
> XP home. Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
> PROBLEM: No email information on:
> (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared
> -something I did, probably)
> (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
> I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
> TRIED:
> (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
> (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
> clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
> show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But
> how? HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the
> registry (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of
> incomprehensibles. --
> No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all
> debate.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:51:12 AM

Start here:

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Dave wrote:
> ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly
> long and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running
> XP home. Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
> PROBLEM: No email information on:
> (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared
> -something I did, probably)
> (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
> I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
> TRIED:
> (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
> (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
> clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
> show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But
> how? HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the
> registry (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of
> incomprehensibles.
Related resources
July 15, 2005 10:49:09 AM

No joy. Two responses too 'techie' forme me and my limited experience. With
respect, are you sure this is a 'New Users' group?
I also note that noone anywhere anytime is prepared to discuss the role and
function of the 'Past Items' box in the right clicked "Customized
Notifications" window of the task bar systray
--

"Dave" wrote:

> ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly long
> and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running XP home.
> Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
> PROBLEM: No email information on:
> (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared -something
> I did, probably)
> (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
> I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
> TRIED:
> (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
> (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
> clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
> show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But how?
> HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the registry
> (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of incomprehensibles.
> --
> No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all debate.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 1:17:19 PM

Dave,

The role and function of Past Items in Customize Notifications.
By Henry Gibson. :-D

Past Items are items that were, at least at one time, in the Notification
Area. These items or the software that they came from may or not be still
on the machine. If any of the software is not running at the time, but
still on the machine they are considered Past Items because they are not
currently present in the Notification Area. If they are history, as it
were, XP doesn't know that and they need to be removed from the list
manually.

Description of Notification Area Settings
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771

Disable the SSDP Discovery service, see this...

Notification area icons are missing at startup
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

This service does not need to be running.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4FA98DF5-B204-48C3-A1DC-DF3B64503503@microsoft.com,
Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> No joy. Two responses too 'techie' forme me and my limited experience.
> With respect, are you sure this is a 'New Users' group?
> I also note that noone anywhere anytime is prepared to discuss the role
> and function of the 'Past Items' box in the right clicked "Customized
> Notifications" window of the task bar systray
> --
> No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all
> debate.
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly
>> long and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running
>> XP home. Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
>> PROBLEM: No email information on:
>> (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared
>> -something I did, probably)
>> (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
>> I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
>> TRIED:
>> (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
>> (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
>> clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
>> show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But
>> how? HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the
>> registry (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of
>> incomprehensibles. --
>> No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all
>> debate.
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:15:21 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:49:09 -0700, Dave wrote:

> No joy. Two responses too 'techie' forme me and my limited experience. With
> respect, are you sure this is a 'New Users' group?
> I also note that noone anywhere anytime is prepared to discuss the role and
> function of the 'Past Items' box in the right clicked "Customized
> Notifications" window of the task bar systray

Dave, perhaps you would find using TweakUI more comfortable for this? It is
one of the Power Toys for XP and can enable/disable the mail notification
on the welcome screen by simply clicking a box. You can download TweakUI
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

--
Sharon F