No 'you have new e-mail'

ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly long
and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running XP home.
Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
PROBLEM: No email information on:
(a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared -something
I did, probably)
(b) Notification area/systray (never there)
I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
TRIED:
(a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
(b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But how?
HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the registry
(wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of incomprehensibles.
--
No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all debate.
5 answers Last reply

    Read the instructions at the top
    100. Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen - Undo
    Click on - Undo

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7C93D023-BFFB-499E-B983-E5379E25A920@microsoft.com,
    Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly
    > long and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running
    > XP home. Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
    > PROBLEM: No email information on:
    > (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared
    > -something I did, probably)
    > (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
    > I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
    > TRIED:
    > (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
    > (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
    > clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
    > show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But
    > how? HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the
    > registry (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of
    > incomprehensibles. --
    > No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all
    > debate.

    Start here:

    Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1/48.asp
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Dave wrote:
    > ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly
    > long and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running
    > XP home. Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
    > PROBLEM: No email information on:
    > (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared
    > -something I did, probably)
    > (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
    > I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
    > TRIED:
    > (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
    > (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
    > clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
    > show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But
    > how? HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the
    > registry (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of
    > incomprehensibles.

    No joy. Two responses too 'techie' forme me and my limited experience. With
    respect, are you sure this is a 'New Users' group?
    I also note that noone anywhere anytime is prepared to discuss the role and
    function of the 'Past Items' box in the right clicked "Customized
    Notifications" window of the task bar systray
    --

    "Dave" wrote:

    > ME: A newbie. Just acquired first PC (three months ago) after a fairly long
    > and chequered life. Desktop. All the bells and whistles, running XP home.
    > Outlook Express. Broadband connection.
    > PROBLEM: No email information on:
    > (a) Welcome screen (there in the begining and then disappeared -something
    > I did, probably)
    > (b) Notification area/systray (never there)
    > I have few emails (lucky me) and either service would satisfy.
    > TRIED:
    > (a) Tweek UI download (twice) Nil result.
    > (b) Systray icon resting very quietly in 'Past Items' section of right
    > clicked Customised/Customized Notifications window. No amount of 'always
    > show' changes it's position. Needs to be awoken and put to work. But how?
    > HOPE: Someone's got an answer that doesn't involve trips to the registry
    > (wherever that may be) or alterations to long strings of incomprehensibles.
    > --
    > No emails pls. Public and open discussion is only way to go in all debate.

    Dave,

    The role and function of Past Items in Customize Notifications.
    By Henry Gibson. :-D

    Past Items are items that were, at least at one time, in the Notification
    Area. These items or the software that they came from may or not be still
    on the machine. If any of the software is not running at the time, but
    still on the machine they are considered Past Items because they are not
    currently present in the Notification Area. If they are history, as it
    were, XP doesn't know that and they need to be removed from the list
    manually.

    Description of Notification Area Settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771

    Disable the SSDP Discovery service, see this...

    Notification area icons are missing at startup
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/trayicons.htm

    This service does not need to be running.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4FA98DF5-B204-48C3-A1DC-DF3B64503503@microsoft.com,

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:49:09 -0700, Dave wrote:

    > No joy. Two responses too 'techie' forme me and my limited experience. With
    > respect, are you sure this is a 'New Users' group?
    > I also note that noone anywhere anytime is prepared to discuss the role and
    > function of the 'Past Items' box in the right clicked "Customized
    > Notifications" window of the task bar systray

    Dave, perhaps you would find using TweakUI more comfortable for this? It is
    one of the Power Toys for XP and can enable/disable the mail notification
    on the welcome screen by simply clicking a box. You can download TweakUI
    here:

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Email Windows XP