FRIED MOBO!?

dogus1

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Oh bother!

Last week I determined that my power supply shorted out. This occured after a massive gaming romp in which I forgot to utilize my cooling methods -- that is, placing a BOX FAN against the case. Oh well. My bad. PLEASE, don't comment on that issue -- I know it's bad.

ANYWAY, I assume due to either the excessive heat or the shittiness of the generic power supply ... I tested the power supply and it was indeed shot, so I bought a new, much better Antec True power 430 watts.

Well, my computer STILL won't work -- so now I'm afraid that other components (namely, my motherboard) were fried when my power supply shorted out. Obviously, this is likely, but let me just get some opinion -- here's what happens:

With my new power supply, the computer does start -- just very briefly ... the power lights come on, my numerous fans spin, and then ... the power shuts off without warning after about two seconds, and then my PC speaker starts an obnoxious cacophony of two notes, playing octaves, up and down ... the pc speaker does this, despite the lack of power, until I unplug the cable from the power supply.

I assume this is some kind of error warning, and I assume it is bad news, but by all means, please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
does your mobo manual not have error codes listed?

It sounds like something is still shorting out...that is the only reason why the psu would turn on and shut off...

You will need to add/reove components until you find the cause of the short...

Make sure your motherboard is not shorting out on the chasis!

How many bits are in a nibble?