Temp Files

I use Norton SystemWorks One Button Checkup. The clean up span shows a
number of temp files that need to be removed but I cannot find. An example is
DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR\Bbrdl.bmp

I've tried search; temp files with no success. Any suggestion where files
like this might be located?
11 answers Last reply
More about temp files

    Maybe they're gone already.

    Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    Click the Folders icon and look around

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9ED81DBD-E5E8-44AD-9670-1876B30FBADE@microsoft.com,
    RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I use Norton SystemWorks One Button Checkup. The clean up span shows a
    > number of temp files that need to be removed but I cannot find. An
    > example is
    > DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR\Bbrdl.bmp
    >
    > I've tried search; temp files with no success. Any suggestion where files
    > like this might be located?

    It is maybe a hidden folder.Just use show hidden files and check it.

    --
    alderessy

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Maybe they're gone already.
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    > Click the Folders icon and look around
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:9ED81DBD-E5E8-44AD-9670-1876B30FBADE@microsoft.com,
    > RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > I use Norton SystemWorks One Button Checkup. The clean up span shows a
    > > number of temp files that need to be removed but I cannot find. An
    > > example is
    > > DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR\Bbrdl.bmp
    > >
    > > I've tried search; temp files with no success. Any suggestion where files
    > > like this might be located?

    Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp files
    they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden files with
    no joy.

    Robert Thurman

    If Windows is on C:, paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...

    C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:CBCAA914-2B0B-4BBD-B7ED-8570C58AD137@microsoft.com,

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > If Windows is on C:, paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...
    >
    > C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Windows is on C drive but when I inserted
    C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR
    in Run I got a message that it couldn't be found on the drive.

    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:CBCAA914-2B0B-4BBD-B7ED-8570C58AD137@microsoft.com,
    > RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Maybe they're gone already.
    > >>
    > >> Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    > >> Click the Folders icon and look around
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:9ED81DBD-E5E8-44AD-9670-1876B30FBADE@microsoft.com,
    > >> RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    > > Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp
    > > files they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden
    > > files with no joy.
    > >
    > > Robert Thurman

    I copied and pasted that from your original post. So either you typed it
    incorrectly or _1STMPO.DIR does not exist.

    Paste this in and see what you get
    C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR

    Pasting this in
    C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP
    should get you the same thing as pasting in %tmp%

    DOCUME~1 is short for Documents and Settings

    BOBTHU~1 should be short for Bob Thurman

    LOCALS~1 is short for Local Settings

    %tmp% is a variable that shows where the logged on user's, your, temporary
    files are located.

    Here..

    In news:4CF68A9F-DF3E-4939-B9ED-8537114DA3F7@microsoft.com,
    RS BOBTHU~1 <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> If Windows is on C:, paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...
    >>
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Windows is on C drive but when I inserted
    > C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR
    > in Run I got a message that it couldn't be found on the drive.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:CBCAA914-2B0B-4BBD-B7ED-8570C58AD137@microsoft.com,
    >> RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    >>> Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp
    >>> files they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden
    >>> files with no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Robert Thurman

    It worked for me. Thanks

    regards,
    werner

    "RS Thurman" <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe they're gone already.
    >>
    >> Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    >> Click the Folders icon and look around
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:9ED81DBD-E5E8-44AD-9670-1876B30FBADE@microsoft.com,
    >> RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > I use Norton SystemWorks One Button Checkup. The clean up span shows a
    >> > number of temp files that need to be removed but I cannot find. An
    >> > example is
    >> > DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\_ISTMPI.DIR\_1STMPO.DIR\Bbrdl.bmp
    >> >
    >> > I've tried search; temp files with no success. Any suggestion where
    >> > files
    >> > like this might be located?
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp
    > files
    > they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden files
    > with
    > no joy.
    >
    > Robert Thurman

    Glad to hear it, Werner. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23CaNzmJiFHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > It worked for me. Thanks
    >
    > regards,
    > werner
    >
    > "RS Thurman" <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe they're gone already.
    >>>
    >>> Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK |
    >>> Click the Folders icon and look around
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:9ED81DBD-E5E8-44AD-9670-1876B30FBADE@microsoft.com,
    >>> RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    >> Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp
    >> files
    >> they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden files
    >> with
    >> no joy.
    >>
    >> Robert Thurman

    To Wesley Vogel

    Using your suggestion went to Run and typed
    C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP

    There I found ISTMP.DIR folders that contained the files I needed to delete.

    I greatly appreciate your help.

    Glad you go it taken care of. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2D549303-04B9-4FEF-9668-BC9736642599@microsoft.com,
    RS Thurman <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > To Wesley Vogel
    >
    > Using your suggestion went to Run and typed
    > C:\DOCUME~1\BOBTHU~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP
    >
    > There I found ISTMP.DIR folders that contained the files I needed to
    > delete.
    >
    > I greatly appreciate your help.

    "Are we having fun yet"

    regards and thanks.

    > Glad to hear it, Werner. Keep having fun. :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:%23CaNzmJiFHA.500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Bullwinkle. J. Moose <moose.nyc@nospam.verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> It worked for me. Thanks
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> werner
    >>
    >> "RS Thurman" <RSThurman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for your suggestion. Although the %tmp% listed several tmp
    >>> files
    >>> they were not the ones I was looking for. I also checked hidden files
    >>> with
    >>> no joy.
    >>>
    >>> Robert Thurman

Norton Microsoft Windows XP