First installation

Building my own PC and will be installing XP Home (with SP2).

Question: which is recommended - NTFS file system or FAT32?
8 answers Last reply
More about first installation

    NTFS - it's more secure.

    FAT32 has some favor because of it's accessibilty using a DOS boot disk (for
    file recovery). But, I feel, that problem has been overcome with the advent
    of free utilities that'll read NTFS from DOS.

    "Gary D." wrote:

    > Building my own PC and will be installing XP Home (with SP2).
    >
    > Question: which is recommended - NTFS file system or FAT32?

    Hi

    NTFS.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:14:29 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >NTFS.

    Thanks!

    In news:4em9d1da08nou0b0v9nn9nbnddg015four@4ax.com,
    Gary D. <ignore@notvalid.net> typed:

    > Building my own PC and will be installing XP Home (with SP2).
    >
    > Question: which is recommended - NTFS file system or FAT32?

    As far as I'm concerned, NTFS. The only reason to use FAT32 is if
    you expect to dual-boot with an older operating system that
    doesn't support NTFS.

    Gary D. wrote:
    > Building my own PC and will be installing XP Home (with SP2).
    >
    > Question: which is recommended - NTFS file system or FAT32?

    Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
    option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
    capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
    on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
    vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

    To answer your questions without getting too technical is
    difficult, but has been handled quite well by the late Alex Nichol in
    the article here:

    FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

    Somewhat more technical information is here:

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

    Choosing Between File Systems
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

    NTFS file system
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:24:43 -0600, Bruce Chambers
    <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

    >Gary D. wrote:
    >> Building my own PC and will be installing XP Home (with SP2).
    >>
    >> Question: which is recommended - NTFS file system or FAT32?
    >>

    > Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
    >option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
    >capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
    >on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
    >vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.
    >
    > To answer your questions without getting too technical is
    >difficult, but has been handled quite well by the late Alex Nichol in
    >the article here:
    >
    >FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
    >http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm
    >
    > Somewhat more technical information is here:
    >
    >Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463
    >
    >Choosing Between File Systems
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp
    >
    >NTFS file system
    >http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

    Thanks Bruce. That's just the sort of information I was looking for!
    I tried searching the web for information but didn't find anything as
    good as these links.

    From what I've read, it looks likely that I'll opt for NTFS.

    Not to mention the fact that on a drive larger that 32Gb the only option
    presented is NTFS, because you cannot format drives larger than 32GB in
    Fat32 under Win XP
    But anything over 8Gb should be NTFS anyway, more security, and better use
    of dsk space.

    In news:%234nj8qRiFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Raztax <lol@yeahright.com> typed:

    > Not to mention the fact that on a drive larger that 32Gb the
    > only
    > option presented is NTFS, because you cannot format drives
    > larger
    > than 32GB in Fat32 under Win XP

    True, but it's important to also note that Windows XP will
    happily use larger FAT32 partitions if they are first created
    externally with FDISK from an older version.

    > But anything over 8Gb should be NTFS anyway, more security, and
    > better use of dsk space.

    Agreed.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

File System Microsoft Windows XP