Soyo 5EA BIOS upgrade

duke

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
I've inherited PC based on a Soyo 5ea board (no longer suppoted by them). I need to update the BIOS to fit a larger hard drive and would appreciate some advice. The current BIOS shows during boot as Award v4.51PG with extension v1.0a. The Soyo site has an update 5ea-d5 dated 1998-04-02. Is this my best (only?) option, or are there any other sources of upgrades? Thanks for all advice,

Duke

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
probably that is your best option...

you could press pause durring startup...there will be a long string of numbers on the bottom of the screen...you could go to awards website and type em in...they will find the newest bios for your board...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are third party BIOSes for a lot of older boards, some guy figured out how to hack old BIOS to support larger drives and started a free BIOS movement. You can try www.wimsbios.com to get more information, or google your board.

If all else fails, you can add a bootable PCI IDE adapter, which would have it's own BIOS and be treated by the motherboard as a SCSI card. Simply add the card and set the motherboard to boot off SCSI first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>