WinXP -insists on doing "consistency check" on one drive a..

I'm running WinXP home edition with SP 1, my WD 160 HD is partioned "C"
and "D", at boot-up it insists on doing a "consistency check" on D:, and
finds nothing wrong and continues the boot-up .
This all started a couple of days ago after I accepted a MS security
upgrade, I also made the mistake of geting a ATI card driver update from
MS at the same time.
Before I downloaded these two upgrades I had to "upgrade" the MS
"Upgrade software to get the MS Upgrade page.
I have since deleted the ATI driver upgrade and went back to my old
driver.
I have searched and found a couple of suggestions for the problem.
One that the system is not writing back all of the cached-hard-disk-
drive information before it turns off the computer. The solution is a
patch for this bug in Service Pack 1 for WinXP(SP1), but as I said I
already have SP1 installed, So is there part of SP1 that I can run
again?
Two it might be the "WaitToKillAppTimeout" setting in the registry, mine
is set at 20000 which I believe is pretty much standard.
So "What me do now?"(G)
Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, this consistency
checking is driving me nuts.

Wannabe.

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT. Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager

Look in the right pane for the BootExecute value. It normally reads:

autocheck autochk *

on one line. This is a REG_MULTI value, so it could contain other lines, as well such as:

PDBoot.exe
autocheck autochk *

Since I have Raxco's Perfect Disk installed.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

<Wannabe> wrote in message news:Xns9692B22278F97GJP@216.168.3.44...
> I'm running WinXP home edition with SP 1, my WD 160 HD is partioned "C"
> and "D", at boot-up it insists on doing a "consistency check" on D:, and
> finds nothing wrong and continues the boot-up .
> This all started a couple of days ago after I accepted a MS security
> upgrade, I also made the mistake of geting a ATI card driver update from
> MS at the same time.
> Before I downloaded these two upgrades I had to "upgrade" the MS
> "Upgrade software to get the MS Upgrade page.
> I have since deleted the ATI driver upgrade and went back to my old
> driver.
> I have searched and found a couple of suggestions for the problem.
> One that the system is not writing back all of the cached-hard-disk-
> drive information before it turns off the computer. The solution is a
> patch for this bug in Service Pack 1 for WinXP(SP1), but as I said I
> already have SP1 installed, So is there part of SP1 that I can run
> again?
> Two it might be the "WaitToKillAppTimeout" setting in the registry, mine
> is set at 20000 which I believe is pretty much standard.
> So "What me do now?"(G)
> Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, this consistency
> checking is driving me nuts.
>
> Wannabe.

Thanks for the reply Doug..
Yes it does say autocheck autochk *.
Along with a host of other settings for REG DWORD, so what me do now?(G)

Wannabe