images not seen in sent emails

I have just updated from win98se to a new computer with winXP. I use Outlook
Express for my mail. When I forward an email message to someone else that has
pictures inserted into it (that I can view fine in my emails) they do not
receive the email with the pictures inserted, but rather as attachments. The
email message body only shows little boxes with red Xs in them. I never had
this problem with OE before. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Steven
10 answers Last reply
More about images emails

    csblue wrote:

    > I have just updated from win98se to a new computer with winXP. I use
    > Outlook Express for my mail. When I forward an email message to
    > someone else that has pictures inserted into it (that I can view fine
    > in my emails) they do not receive the email with the pictures
    > inserted, but rather as attachments. The email message body only shows
    > little boxes with red Xs in them. I never had this problem with OE
    > before. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steven

    There have been many security changes in Outlook Express. Since you have
    a new computer, it includes XP Service Pack 2. Here is some information
    from Microsoft about the changes in OE in XPSP2:

    Outlook Express now has picture handling facilities similar to Outlook
    2003. This prevents senders of spam e-mail from determining whether a
    recipient opens a message. It does this by preventing the automatic
    display of pictures from Internet servers. The user is presented with
    placeholders and the Information Bar gives the user the option to
    display the picture.

    [Pictures and images embedded in HTML e-mail messages can be adapted to
    secretly send a message back to the sender. These are often referred to
    as Web beacons. Spammers rely on information returned by these images
    to confirm active e-mail addresses. Some spam messages contain Web
    beacon images so small that they are invisible to the human eye-but not
    to Outlook Express.

    An improved defense against Web beacons is to stop pictures from
    downloading until you've had a chance to review the message. Outlook
    Express in Windows XP SP2 will now block images automatically in
    messages from people who are not in your address book. This goes a long
    way in preventing the verification of your e-mail address for spammers.
    It makes your e-mail name less useful to spammers and may result in
    your getting less spam over time.

    This feature also minimizes a common annoyance for those using dial-up
    network connections. In earlier versions of Outlook Express, if you
    read an HTML e-mail message with a picture embedded in it, Outlook
    Express would automatically try to connect to the Internet to retrieve
    any reference images. With image blocking in Outlook Express, this will
    no longer happen -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

    Plain text mode is now the default setting with Outlook Express in
    Windows XP Service Pack 2. In plain text mode, Outlook Express uses the
    rich edit control rather than the MSHTML control. This avoids some
    security issues that result from the use of MSHTML by using the rich
    edit control. You can reduce the attack surface by operating in Plain
    Text Mode.

    The following Outlook Express features are not available when running in
    plain text mode:
    - Changing text size
    - Full text searching through the body of a mail message

    Source:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx

    In addition, here is the best site to learn about Outlook Express:

    http://www.insideoe.com

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thank you, Malke, for you informative reply. It did not, however, address my
    problem. I am looking for help right now, not an education. I have plenty to
    keep me busy learning all the new stuff in XP and I am aware of some of the
    things you mentioned and I will study the others when I have the opportunity.

    Meanwhile, I need help with the current problem , which is why I logged on
    to the group. Does anyone have information about my issue and how to resolve
    it?

    Thank you,

    Steven

    "Malke" wrote:

> [...]
    > no longer happen -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx
    >
    > Plain text mode is now the default setting with Outlook Express in
    > Windows XP Service Pack 2. In plain text mode, Outlook Express uses the
    > rich edit control rather than the MSHTML control. This avoids some
    > security issues that result from the use of MSHTML by using the rich
    > edit control. You can reduce the attack surface by operating in Plain
    > Text Mode.
    >
    > The following Outlook Express features are not available when running in
    > plain text mode:
    > - Changing text size
    > - Full text searching through the body of a mail message
    >
    > Source:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx
    >
    > In addition, here is the best site to learn about Outlook Express:

    Ask in the Outlook Express newsgroup.

    "csblue" <csblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    | > no longer happen -
    | > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx
    | >
    | > Plain text mode is now the default setting with Outlook Express in
    | > Windows XP Service Pack 2. In plain text mode, Outlook Express uses the
    | > rich edit control rather than the MSHTML control. This avoids some
    | > security issues that result from the use of MSHTML by using the rich
    | > edit control. You can reduce the attack surface by operating in Plain
    | > Text Mode.
    | >
    | > The following Outlook Express features are not available when running in
    | > plain text mode:
    | > - Changing text size
    | > - Full text searching through the body of a mail message
    | >
    | > Source:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2email.mspx

    | > In addition, here is the best site to learn about Outlook Express:

    OE Tools > Options > Send > Mail Sending Format > HTML > Send pictures with
    messages: Is this option checked?

    Assuming you have the option enabled, do the forwarded messages display
    properly in your copy viewed from Sent Items folder? If so, the problem's
    not on your end.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    csblue wrote:
    > I have just updated from win98se to a new computer with winXP. I use
    > Outlook Express for my mail. When I forward an email message to someone
    > else that has pictures inserted into it (that I can view fine in my
    > emails) they do not receive the email with the pictures inserted, but
    > rather as attachments. The email message body only shows little boxes
    > with red Xs in them. I never had this problem with OE before. Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steven

    Yes, it is.
    Steven

    --
    ~PA Bear

    csblue wrote:
    > Yes, it is.
    > Steven
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > OE Tools > Options > Send > Mail Sending Format > HTML > Send pictures
    > > with messages: Is this option checked?
    > >
    > > Assuming you have the option enabled, do the forwarded messages display
    > > properly in your copy viewed from Sent Items folder? If so, the
    > > problem's not on your end.
    > > --
    > > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > > OE General newsgroup:
    > >
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
    > >

    > > csblue wrote:
    > > > I have just updated from win98se to a new computer with winXP. I use
    > > > Outlook Express for my mail. When I forward an email message to
    > > > someone else that has pictures inserted into it (that I can view fine
    > > > in my emails) they do not receive the email with the pictures
    > > > inserted, but rather as attachments. The email message body only
    > > > shows little boxes with red Xs in them. I never had this problem with
    > > > OE before. Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > >
    > > > Steven

    Well, in my sent folders the messages have both in the message body; first
    the little boxes with red Xs, and then, below that, the actual pictures.
    Hmmmm... any ideas?

    Steven

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > > Assuming you have the option enabled, do the forwarded messages display
    > > properly in your copy viewed from Sent Items folder? If so, the problem's
    > > not on your end.
    >
    > --
    > ~PA Bear
    >
    > csblue wrote:
    > > Yes, it is.
    > > Steven
    > >
    > > "PA Bear" wrote:
    > >
    > > > OE Tools > Options > Send > Mail Sending Format > HTML > Send pictures
    > > > with messages: Is this option checked?
    > > >
    > > > Assuming you have the option enabled, do the forwarded messages display
    > > > properly in your copy viewed from Sent Items folder? If so, the
    > > > problem's not on your end.
    > > > --
    > > > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > > > OE General newsgroup:
    > > >
    > > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    Important: Disable scanning of outgoing and incoming messages by your
    anti-virus application. It provides no additional protection and may be
    causing the problem.

    And this is your copy of an HTML message with inserted/embedded pix which
    you've Forwarded?

    Are both of these options unchecked?...

    Tools > Options > Read > Read all messages in plain text

    Tools > Options > Security > Download images > ...

    If not, uncheck 'em and then look again at your copy of the sent Forwarded
    message.

    Another test: Create a new HTML message with inserted/embedded pix and send
    it to yourself. When you open this message, do the inserted/embedded pix
    display as expected?
    --
    ~PA Bear

    csblue wrote:
    > Well, in my sent folders the messages have both in the message body; first
    > the little boxes with red Xs, and then, below that, the actual pictures.
    > Hmmmm... any ideas?
    >
    > Steven
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > > Assuming you have the option enabled, do the forwarded messages
    > > > display properly in your copy viewed from Sent Items folder? If so,
    > > > the problem's not on your end.
    > >
    > > --
    > > ~PA Bear
    > >
    > > csblue wrote:
    > > > Yes, it is.
    > > > Steven

    Okay, I did everything you suggested. I disabled the in/out scanning by the
    av program.
    Yes, both options were unchecked in tools, options (I had done that at
    earlier suggestions).
    Then I created a new email with an embedded pic and sent it to myself and it
    came out fine.
    Therefore, I resolve that the virus scanner was the final culprit.
    I forwarded the same email to my wife's computer just to make sure and it
    came out fine too.

    Thank you so much for your help, Pa Bear.

    I really appreciate your sticking with me.

    Steven

    "The unexamined life is not worth living"

    "A man once said, He who knows he knows, knows nothing;
    and he who knows he knows nothing, really knows"

    YW, Blue, and thanks for posting back.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    csblue wrote:
    > Okay, I did everything you suggested. I disabled the in/out scanning by
    > the av program.
    > Yes, both options were unchecked in tools, options (I had done that at
    > earlier suggestions).
    > Then I created a new email with an embedded pic and sent it to myself and
    > it came out fine.
    > Therefore, I resolve that the virus scanner was the final culprit.
    > I forwarded the same email to my wife's computer just to make sure and it
    > came out fine too.
    >
    > Thank you so much for your help, Pa Bear.
    >
    > I really appreciate your sticking with me.
    >
    > Steven
    >
    > "The unexamined life is not worth living"
    >
    > "A man once said, He who knows he knows, knows nothing;
    > and he who knows he knows nothing, really knows"
    >

    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > Important: Disable scanning of outgoing and incoming messages by your
    > > anti-virus application. It provides no additional protection and may be
    > > causing the problem.
    > >
    > > And this is your copy of an HTML message with inserted/embedded pix
    > > which you've Forwarded?
    > >
    > > Are both of these options unchecked?...
    > >
    > > Tools > Options > Read > Read all messages in plain text
    > >
    > > Tools > Options > Security > Download images > ...
    > >
    > > If not, uncheck 'em and then look again at your copy of the sent

Email Microsoft Windows XP