Adding a new user

I added a new user last night and it was unknowingly added as "computer
adminstrator". At the time, both the original adminstrator was still
available as was the new account. However, when we restarted the computer
this morning, only the new profile is available. Is there anything I can do
to restore the old profile back to where they were? System restore does not
work I get an error message. Does anyone have any other ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about adding user

    LNLLawson wrote:

    > I added a new user last night and it was unknowingly added as
    > "computer
    > adminstrator". At the time, both the original adminstrator was still
    > available as was the new account. However, when we restarted the
    > computer
    > this morning, only the new profile is available. Is there anything I
    > can do
    > to restore the old profile back to where they were? System restore
    > does not
    > work I get an error message. Does anyone have any other ideas?

    It is normal for the built-in Administrator account to become hidden
    when you add another user account with administrative permissions. If
    you want to show it, use MVP Kelly Theriot's tweak:

    Enable/Disable Administrator on the Welcome Screen (Line 5)

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "LNLLawson" <LNLLawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I added a new user last night and it was unknowingly added as "computer
    > adminstrator". At the time, both the original adminstrator was still
    > available as was the new account. However, when we restarted the computer
    > this morning, only the new profile is available. Is there anything I can
    do
    > to restore the old profile back to where they were? System restore does
    not
    > work I get an error message. Does anyone have any other ideas?

    As well as what Malke said, be advised that it is not best practice to use
    the built-in Administrator account on a daily basis. Create (as you have
    done) a user with Admin rights and use that on a daily basis. One of the
    reasons for this is, that if your User account gets corrupted, then the ONLY
    way into the machine is via the built-in Administrator account. If that is
    the only Admin account on the machine and has corrupted, then your only
    recourse would be to a repair install of XP.

    HTH

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:37:21 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > "LNLLawson" <LNLLawson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any other ideas?
    >
    > As well as what Malke said, be advised that it is not best practice to use
    > the built-in Administrator account on a daily basis. Create (as you have
    > done) a user with Admin rights and use that on a daily basis. One of the
    > reasons for this is, that if your User account gets corrupted, then the ONLY
    > way into the machine is via the built-in Administrator account. If that is
    > the only Admin account on the machine and has corrupted, then your only
    > recourse would be to a repair install of XP.

    Great advice! We set up this computer with "users" just because there
    are so many potential adult and children users... not really knowing
    *why* it was a good thing other than the kids would not be able to
    accidently do something harmful to it.

Computers Windows XP