Sign in with
Your question

Windows counting down?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 15, 2003 1:22:18 AM

A few months ago I upgraded my dad's pc. From what I remember it had the following:

P4 1.8a oc'd to 2.4GHz
Asus P4S533
512MB Samsung PC3200
Nspire 420W PSU
ATI 3D Rage Pro (He's not a gamer)

He called me the other night and explained to me that he'll be on the pc and suddenly a window pops up and it reads, "Windows is shutting down in 1:00..." and then it counts down to 0 and shuts off. What the hell could this be? Is it a Windows problem or a hardware problem? Is my dad insane? I'm going to go to my father's on Sunday for a barbeque and would rather be enjoying burgers and dogs than working on his pc. TIA.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

More about : windows counting

August 15, 2003 1:29:54 AM

isn't that the msblast virus?
August 15, 2003 1:32:07 AM

LOL! I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who's an IT guy and he says my dad got that virus that was going around! I had heard about it when I was on vacation but didn't pay much attention to it so I wasn't sure what it did. It's pretty funny actually. Is there a patch that I can download and put on a CD? My father says he gets this message almost immediately and downloading a patch might take too long.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.
Related resources
August 15, 2003 1:44:28 AM

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll be installing a firewall on his pc now. I have Norton Firewall 2001. Is Zone Alarm or any other freebees out there any better? Thanks again.

August 15, 2003 2:13:21 AM

The built in Firewall on Windows XP is enough to stop this. If you have a broadband connection, you'll want to get something a bit better, though. Zone Alarm is adequate, but not as good as Norton Firewall. I'd recommend picking up Norton Internet Security 2003. Just a personal opinion.
-Brett
August 15, 2003 3:09:35 AM

I'm told the solution to the limited time is to click Start-->Run and type Shutdown -a

This will circumvent the 1 minute timer.

Use the other tips to clean up the virus then Download microsoft's security patch. Get the firewall software.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2003 4:51:29 AM

Security software has done nothing for me but waste my time. I've never actually had a virus execute, but I have found a couple in unexecuted files, and the problem was, the virus definition patterns for the scanner were out of date. You've already gotten the virus before you download the pattern update! And they waste valuable rescources.

Firewalls have never been easy for me to use, as it's darned near impossible for me to know which people are supposed to have what access.

I've found the easiest thing to do is, not open files from untrusted sources! But that doesn't work with THIS virus!

But not to worry, the WINDOWS PATCH has been around for quite a while now, I haven't patched in a long time yet I already have the patch needed to prevent the msblast problem!

So I've found running a virus program ineffective and a waste of rescources, best simply to keep your OS updated and not open files from untrusted sources.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 15, 2003 4:56:32 AM

True, but if you do any kind of file-sharing then a good AV program is indispensable for use against older viruses. NAV has saved me on more than a few occasions.
-Brett
August 15, 2003 6:33:02 AM

aye...

Me too...NAV is a great anti-virus...

Norton internet security is a great firewall...

Remember kids...don't transfer without protection...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2003 1:00:58 PM

Hey Black_Cat this virus definitely promotes the need for a good firewall, this is not an email virus, I use Zone Alarm Pro, Office Depot has a killer deal on ZAP right now its like $19.95 with a $10.00 mail in rebate. I do not use the Nortons Firewall, I did but took it back to the store, IMO its garbage compared to ZAP, I've been using ZAP now for 3 years, and its stopped many intrusions dead in their tracks.

If your Dads already got the virus you'll need the removal tool and the patch.

Heres the removal tool, instruction page, and download link.
<A HREF="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data..." target="_new">http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...;/A>

Heres the downloadable patch.
<A HREF="http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=23..." target="_new">http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=23...;/A>

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
August 15, 2003 2:28:04 PM

Gotta agree with 4ryan6 here...

Im a lowly A+ tech, but been doing it in the corp enviornment for 4+ years now. I have had on more than one occassion, seen the NAV folder itself infected. LMAO.
I HATE going to non gear head friends to "help" them with their pc's, and find the y have the garbage Norton sys works installed, mucking up everything.

I use the FREE AVG anti virus. from www.grisoft.com
It has successfully cleaned nasty worms that mcafee or nav, just dont seem to be able to handle. AND ITS FREE!

NAT beats software firewalls any day, though I have had similar success with either ZAP or sysgate..wont use norton, too many headaches with supporting their other apps on other people's machines

Centralization <b><i>ISN'T</i></b> the answer, it's the <b>PROBLEM!</b>
August 16, 2003 4:26:02 PM

Thanks for all the opinions, folks. Since my father's computer skills are seriously lacking (he's still living in the 1950's) I was wondering which software firewall is the EASIEST to work with? I would like to spend $0 but then again it would be worth the money to not a get phone call every time the firewall confuses my dad.

!