• Configuration
  • Download
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Live
  • Hotmail
  • Computers
Last response: in Windows 7
August 31, 2010 5:28:26 PM

when I download the hotmail emails onto windows live mail on my computer -running windows 7- all the previously downloaded emails are deleted from the inbox. How do I stop it doing that?

More about : windows live mail deletes emailsfrom account emails downloaded

a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2010 7:44:02 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Look for an option that says "delete the message from the server" or "keep a copy of the message in the server"
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 31, 2010 8:20:11 PM

If you can find it in the documentation or help sections, I recommend using the IMAP protocol so you will always see the same messages no matter whether you access your mail from Windows Live Mail or the webmail interface through your browser.
EDIT: It appears that IMAP isn't supported by Hotmail yet, but that the feature has been requested. Sorry!
m
l
September 7, 2010 6:27:15 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Look for an option that says "delete the message from the server" or "keep a copy of the message in the server"

I guess I did not explain myself correctly-- It is deleting the previous emails from the windows live on the computer.I would have thought that my emails on the computer should be safe.
Also at times I have discovered that the program won't open and any email that I have supposedly saved to documents as per the programs info are therefor not operative either. I am learning to save everything I want in .doc format rather than the email format!
Fortunately there is a copy remaining on the hotmail and sympatico website.
I am used to Outlook so this is going to take a while to get onto I suppose!
Thanks for the reply.
j .
m
l
Related resources
!