Sign in with
Your question

on-board video won't disable?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 16, 2003 12:26:57 AM

A friend of mine recently brought over his computer, after he messed around in the bios and ended up so his computer wouldn't even post. No problem, I reset his bios, everything good, post happens. Here's the problem. He has an ECS K7SEM rev.1 motherboard, which has on-board graphics and a 4x agp port. He has a geforce 4 mx 440 card (crappy though it may be....still better than onboard). After resetting the bios, I can't find an option to turn the on-board off! The manual for this board can be found <A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/manual_k7s.htm" target="_new">Here</A> . The manual shows an option to turn it off in the bios, but I can't find it on his bios on his computer! (I've triple and quadrople checked). He has a pretty recent bios, version 1.1b, <A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7sem.htm" target="_new">click to see which version</A> . What gives with me not being able to find the option to turn off the onboard video?

More about : board video disable

August 16, 2003 1:19:09 AM

if you the MX card does it work? Could it be that the bios will autosense the absence of a connection to the onboard video...

Also...do you have the orginal bios version that came with the board...could be that they removed that feature...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 3:55:31 AM

I would flash the BIOS with the last available Flash.

In The CMOS Set Up Find
Integrated Peripherals Option

Find______________Set To
Init Display First = AGP Slot
AGP VGA Selection = AGP Slot
AGP Auto Calibration = Disable
Sys Share Mem Size = 0

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 08/15/03 11:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 5:59:27 AM

Are you using the AGP card? Most chipsets automatically disable onboard video when you insert a card! Why? AGP only supports 1 device! Your AGP is disabled by the chipset, this is why BIOS can no longer find it and it's disabled!

So why did the "disable onboard video" option appear when you were using the onboard video? The automatic disabling feature only works when an AGP card is installed, so that the option to turn off onboard video manually would only be needed if a PCI video card is used.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 6:00:36 AM

I believe my post is more likely given what I've seen in the past.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 1:54:35 PM

Yes you're right, according to what I could find in the manual, the chipsets got to handle it, the few CMOS options even available, do not directly disable the onboard video. Do you think thats an efficient M/B design, or would a direct blockout be better, I know thats probably the cheaper way to address the issue.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 7:34:10 PM

I think when you have onboard AGP graphics and an AGP slot, that's the ONLY way to make the chipset is so that it automatically detects a card in the slot and turns off the onboard AGP.

Older boards used a jumper to turn off onboard AGP because the onboard graphics wasn't on the chipset, but on a separate graphics chip. But we know that an electronic switch is just as effective as a jumper.

August 16, 2003 9:37:11 PM

Thanks for all your replies.
Ok, here's what happended. Last night, after trying everything I could think of, and it still not loading the graphics card, I finally gave up, and made this post. Then I went to bed. This afternoon (I had to work today), I came home, and tried the vid card in my system. Then I put the card back in my freinds computer. And it works!!
You know what I think the problem was? :redface: I don't think I had the card seated all the way in. :redface:
Yeah Crash, the board did auto detect the card. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2003 10:53:31 PM

Five Gold Stars for Crashman

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
!