Help on Downloads and Updates

bobw

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

I thought my system was doing better but the technicians where I bought it
say it is time for a Clean Install. They will do the high-tech items and I
will do the lift and pull. I have two questions:
1. AV and Firewall. I want to have a firewall that monitors outgoing
traffic and an anti-virus program ready before I go on the internet, so: If
I download now to my e: drive, will it install to my c: drive when I double
click at the appropriate time?
2. MS Updates. After the SP2 disk is installed, I still have a lot of
updates to download. Does it matter what sequence I use to update? Just take
them from the top or start from the bottom? Should I be on automatic?

I am running XP Pro (SP2) IE6 OE6 on a HP nx9010 notebook with an Omega HDD
(e: drive/removable).
BobW.

Hi

What reason(s) have you been given for a 'Clean' install of XP?

A free Firewall is Zonealarm -
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads
A free AV program is AVG -
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

Both can be installed from the E drive to the C drive when needed.

A good idea is to set Windows Updates to Automatic. That way your system
will receive the Critical/Security Updates it needs.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I thought my system was doing better but the technicians where I bought it
> say it is time for a Clean Install. They will do the high-tech items and
> will do the lift and pull. I have two questions:
> 1. AV and Firewall. I want to have a firewall that monitors outgoing
> traffic and an anti-virus program ready before I go on the internet, so:
> If
> I download now to my e: drive, will it install to my c: drive when I
> double
> click at the appropriate time?
> 2. MS Updates. After the SP2 disk is installed, I still have a lot of
> updates to download. Does it matter what sequence I use to update? Just
> take
> them from the top or start from the bottom? Should I be on automatic?
>
> I am running XP Pro (SP2) IE6 OE6 on a HP nx9010 notebook with an Omega
> HDD
> (e: drive/removable).
> BobW.

bobw

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Will Denny,
To make a long story even longer: HP software may be designed together to
work together but, they are not always successful. I have had this system
for 18 months. Two weeks after purchase Memories Disk crashed the system and
it required a clean install. I had a PSC 1350 all-in-one and had the same
software problems as everyone else. After getting new software the psc blew
up. HP Manila said they don't stock parts for it anymore (I had it 14
months). I replaced the printer function with a HP Deskjet 5740, NO PROBLEMS.
But, I replaced the scanner function with a HP Scanjet 3770 and it cannot
live with HP Image Zone. I downloaded the new version (300mb) plus a
critical update but the scanner still does not deliver "as advertised". And
the beat goes on. I am 67 and this is my first system. A disappointment.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What reason(s) have you been given for a 'Clean' install of XP?
>
> A free Firewall is Zonealarm -
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads
> A free AV program is AVG -
> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5
>
> Both can be installed from the E drive to the C drive when needed.
>
> A good idea is to set Windows Updates to Automatic. That way your system
> will receive the Critical/Security Updates it needs.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I thought my system was doing better but the technicians where I bought it
> > say it is time for a Clean Install. They will do the high-tech items and
> > will do the lift and pull. I have two questions:
> > 1. AV and Firewall. I want to have a firewall that monitors outgoing
> > traffic and an anti-virus program ready before I go on the internet, so:
> > If
> > I download now to my e: drive, will it install to my c: drive when I
> > double
> > click at the appropriate time?
> > 2. MS Updates. After the SP2 disk is installed, I still have a lot of
> > updates to download. Does it matter what sequence I use to update? Just
> > take
> > them from the top or start from the bottom? Should I be on automatic?
> >
> > I am running XP Pro (SP2) IE6 OE6 on a HP nx9010 notebook with an Omega
> > HDD
> > (e: drive/removable).
> > BobW.

Hi

What kind of XP CD have you got - Recovery, OEM or Retail? You may be able
to run a 'Repair' install of XP, instead of a 'Clean' install. Please have
a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding a 'Repair'
install:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> Will Denny,
> To make a long story even longer: HP software may be designed together to
> work together but, they are not always successful. I have had this system
> for 18 months. Two weeks after purchase Memories Disk crashed the system
> and
> it required a clean install. I had a PSC 1350 all-in-one and had the same
> software problems as everyone else. After getting new software the psc
> blew
> up. HP Manila said they don't stock parts for it anymore (I had it 14
> months). I replaced the printer function with a HP Deskjet 5740, NO
> PROBLEMS.
> But, I replaced the scanner function with a HP Scanjet 3770 and it cannot
> live with HP Image Zone. I downloaded the new version (300mb) plus a
> critical update but the scanner still does not deliver "as advertised".
> And
> the beat goes on. I am 67 and this is my first system. A disappointment.
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What reason(s) have you been given for a 'Clean' install of XP?
>>
>> A free Firewall is Zonealarm -
>> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads
>> A free AV program is AVG -
>> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5
>>
>> Both can be installed from the E drive to the C drive when needed.
>>
>> A good idea is to set Windows Updates to Automatic. That way your system
>> will receive the Critical/Security Updates it needs.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "BobW" <BobW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I thought my system was doing better but the technicians where I bought
>> >it
>> > say it is time for a Clean Install. They will do the high-tech items
>> > and
>> > will do the lift and pull. I have two questions:
>> > 1. AV and Firewall. I want to have a firewall that monitors
>> > outgoing
>> > traffic and an anti-virus program ready before I go on the internet,
>> > so:
>> > If
>> > I download now to my e: drive, will it install to my c: drive when I
>> > double
>> > click at the appropriate time?
>> > 2. MS Updates. After the SP2 disk is installed, I still have a lot of
>> > updates to download. Does it matter what sequence I use to update?
>> > Just
>> > take
>> > them from the top or start from the bottom? Should I be on automatic?
>> >
>> > I am running XP Pro (SP2) IE6 OE6 on a HP nx9010 notebook with an Omega
>> > HDD
>> > (e: drive/removable).
>> > BobW.

bobw

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Will Denny,
I should finish answering your question on why I think they want a clean
install. HP (like many others) wants everything on the startup menu and
leaves tons of dirt after uninstall. I believe they are after the dirt left
by many installs/uninstalls of the psc 1300 series all-in-one and Image Zone.

My disks: 1) hp notebook, Operating System CD, MS Windows XP Pro SP1 (only
for distribution with an HP PC. 2) hp notebook driver recovery CD. 3) MS
Windows XP (SP2) CD.

Many thanks for your interest and assistance.
BobW.