My problem is an intermittent beeping noise. This noise
mainly occurs when doing ANYTHING. When idle, the noises
do not occur. The manual vaguely talks about error beeps,
but the beeps I hear might be once, twice, or as much
as six times. Any ideas?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
The beepps the manual talks about are just at start-up and if you hear them your computer won't boot, so that's not it. First of all, what makes you think it's the motherboard? Eny program can use the PC-speaker to make beeps. IMO it's a program that monitors sys temps, I use Winbond Hardware Doctor and it makes sometimes makes some unexplained beeps.
Do this:
Start -> Run -> "taskmgr" -> Processes
Arrange them by "User Name" and start closing processes that have your user name next to them: Windows won't let you close processes that will harm you in any way (it will show a warning before you close any process but ignore it). Don't close explorer.exe, svchost, svshost, iexplorer.exe. If the problem did stop, identify the process that was making the beeps then run msconfing and take it off the start-up tab.
If anything goes wrong when closing processes just reboot and all the processes will be there again.

I had a much better usertitle but was caught trying to hack me a better one so I got my current title as a punishment

scalewiz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
Thanks. I uninstalled all the hardware monitoring
and gigabyte programs, and turned it off in Bios.
The beeping stopped. I will now go forwards one
at a time to find the problem.

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
the bleeping is caused by the smart fan function found in the bios. Turn it off and that should sort it out!

pain is getting your balls chopped off by a combine harvester...