Need advice for Motherboard

JizZ

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2003
I'm putting together a new system, but I don't really have any idea which motherboard/ram combination i should get. Here's what im definately getting:

P4 3.0GHz 800FSB HT
Radeon 9800pro
Western Digital 120GB 7200rpm 8MB Cache

Now, i've been reading through all the articles but theres so much information i'm really confused at to what I should buy. One article said I should try to match ram and motherboard fsb, but there isn't any ram that even gets close to 800mhz, so should I just buy the highest supported by my mobo?

I've been looking at getting an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard and 2x512mb Corsair PC3700 DDRAM. If there is a better motherboard and/or ram, or if are there any known problems with the motherboard, could you please say? I'm looking to buy the best there is to get without overclocking, and am not too worried about price. Thanks :)

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok this is gonna get a bit confusing but bear with me...

ddr ram runs 2x the speed specified (hence double data rate)

your cpu's fsb runs 4x the speed specified (hence quad data rate)

now lets do a little math...

pc3200 runs at 400mhz (ddr)...bring that down to it's single data rate speed (divide by 2) and we get 200mhz...

your 800mhz cpu's fsb is Quad data rate...divide by 4 and we get 200mhz...so you see you will be running pc3200 synchrnous with you cpu's fsb...

For p4's i would recomend a high quality memory as they seem to be pretty picky...for your system i would recomend corsair pc3200LL or kingston's hyper X...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile: