New hard drive on Laptop causing poblems reinstalling WinXP

My laptop is a 1800xp laptop. I recently put a new hard drive in, and the
message that kept coming back was the "invalid partition, press "h" to retry"
one. I put my WinXP CD in, and it went to the following screen:

X:/>

Now, how do I start the WinXP installation program? I've tried all sorts,
including winxp.exe, setup.exe and launcher or whatever. Please help!

By the way, no floppy came with the laptop, only a winxp installation CD.
1 answer Last reply
More about hard drive laptop causing poblems reinstalling winxp

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "SkyDragon" wrote:

    | My laptop is a 1800xp laptop. I recently put a new hard drive in, and the
    | message that kept coming back was the "invalid partition, press "h" to retry"
    | one. I put my WinXP CD in, and it went to the following screen:
    |
    | X:/>
    |
    | Now, how do I start the WinXP installation program? I've tried all sorts,
    | including winxp.exe, setup.exe and launcher or whatever. Please help!
    |
    | By the way, no floppy came with the laptop, only a winxp installation CD.

Laptops Hard Drives CD-Rom Windows XP