Sign in with
Your question

EA = FAIL

Last response: in Video Games
November 4, 2009 3:12:14 PM

I couldn't help but chuckle after reading this...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/dragon-age-l...

I'm an avid gamer and have purchased perhaps a dozen or so PC games (and a few for Wii/DSi) in the past year, but none of them have been EA games... and this just exemplifies why I avoid this particular company. Although I'd love to say I've played Crysis, I haven't. Although I'd love to have tried out Spore, I didn't. Even thought about giving Warhammer Online a try... nope. Hell, I'd love to buy another copy of Battlefield 2 (I gave my first away to a friend years ago), but I'm not going to. The common link? EA. I have zero faith in this company to treat gamers with one ounce of respect. While I'm a hater of DRM, I do try to tolerate it when it... well, when it is tolerable. Thousands and thousands of people lined up to pay $65 for a computer game (Dragon Age: Origins) and many can't even play it? And why exactly didn't it work? I miss the days of buying a game, installing it, playing it, and deleting it. It CAN be that simple. We're not all pirates. There isn't one piece of pirated software (OS, applications or games) on my computer so it's rather insulting to be treated like a criminal.

Maybe just maybe... one person who reads this (and the linked article) will think twice about supporting a company that seems to hate games and gamers. Some companies get it... some don't.

More about : fail

November 4, 2009 4:52:35 PM

I crave an old-school RPG... like BAD... and was actually getting excited about Dragon Age until I realized EA was involved and until I saw the ridiculous pricing. Just charging $15 extra for content that is available at launch? Absurd!

In the mean time I'm waiting for ATI to get with the program and update my 5850 drivers so I can play the Witcher.
November 4, 2009 5:17:27 PM

I agree, I don't have any pirated software, but it does seem that they (and a few other companies) penalise those the genuine customers. Really when you've gone and bought it you just want to play it and don't want all that hassle.
And as far as I can tell this DRM stuff hasn't stop pirating anyway, so surely there is some better means of achieving this.
Related resources
November 4, 2009 11:30:17 PM

In concerns of Dragon Age, I actually had no problem activating my additional content in-game.

The $15 DLC is "The Stone Prisoner" which is free for any new purchase of the game until April 2010. "Warden's Keep" is a $7 purchase that does not come free with a new purchase unless you buy the Digital Deluxe CE.

Anyways, I hope you're wrong on your decision to not purchase this game. I've only played for 8 hours so far and man I am blown away. If you enjoyed BG2, it would be a HUGE mistake to pass up Dragon Age. ;p
November 5, 2009 12:04:45 AM

So, let me understand this. The Collector's Edition I am considering does not have the content on the disc? You still have to download the content that is available at launch. I leave my gaming rig offline due to my adult viewing habits. So this is a major letdown to me. If the content is available and you buy the more expensive version for the content, it should be on there. Please correct me if I am mistaken, otherwise confirm my fears and brace for possible ranting.
November 5, 2009 12:20:18 AM

EA did a very odd thing this "generation" (mostly a console gamer here). They used to be known for piss poor quality titles, few original IP's and a several case of sequelisits.

This generation they've upped their game quality a lot, increased their volume of original IP releases and have toned down the sequel velocity (some). But they made one other change that ruined this great move in the right direct. DRM.

3 steps forward then a backflip to step 1. Smooth.
November 5, 2009 2:23:01 AM

I'm not really seeing what the problem is. I bought the digital (standard) version directly from EA's online store and had no problem installing or getting the game going. I was even able to copy the files from the EADM cache directory and with the serial key install the game on my laptop separate from EADM. Is there even any installed DRM, besides the EADM which can be gotten around as I just mentioned above?

The only DRM type of stuff I've seen is the having to register for the extra content. Ironically in the many "pirating vs DRM" discussions I've been apart - many on this forum - exactly this type of DRM has been suggested as an alternative to more intrusive installed DRM (like SecuRom).

The argument usually goes that giving people who buy the game something special for registering will be a reward for people who actually pay for the game since most likely pirates will not register. Personally I never thought that was a great idea mostly because what stops the pirates from getting the extra stuff anyways? But none the less this type of alternative DRM has been suggested by a great deal of people who dislike the SecuRom type stuff. I guess this just proves there is no way to please everybody.
November 5, 2009 10:42:38 AM

I lost my DLC too, and yes, I loath EA, but I give this one to biowares crap of a website more then anything else. Server constantly dropping you is getting to be a pain though...
!