Just got new Think Center. Did come with modem. Bought USR 5998B. Holds
connection fine for about 10 minutes. Then I get bumped off - every time.
Is not the phone line (other computer works fine). Lowered modem speed to
very low (I'm rural dial-up). Still no change. Do I need to return the
modem? Is there are recommended modem for XP? Can't surf for answers as I
can't hold a connection long enough. Please help...

Malke

LC wrote:

> Just got new Think Center. Did come with modem. Bought USR 5998B.
> Holds
> connection fine for about 10 minutes. Then I get bumped off - every
> time.
> Is not the phone line (other computer works fine). Lowered modem
> speed to
> very low (I'm rural dial-up). Still no change. Do I need to return
> the
> modem? Is there are recommended modem for XP? Can't surf for answers
> as I
> can't hold a connection long enough. Please help...

Go to Device Manager and find the entry for your modem. Double-click it
to get its Properties. Look for a Power Management tab and click it.
Uncheck the box next to, "Allow Windows to turn off this device while
not in use". Apply and OK out.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the modem. Get them from
the device mftr.'s website for your specific modem.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

help, I am new to these discussion groups and am trying to ask a new
question, but clicking on that does nothing so I am butting in here for help.
--
glysdijc

Mr. C wrote:

> help, I am new to these discussion groups and am trying to ask a new
> question, but clicking on that does nothing so I am butting in here
> for help.

The reason you are having difficulties is that you are using the web
interface which is simply awful. Set up a newsreader and access the
newsgroups that way. Here is information to help you with that. After
you've set up your newsreader - and have gone to the links that help
you make good posts - come back and make a *new* post with all
pertinent details for help.

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Have you tried help F1 for 'never disconnect' or 'disconnect if idle for'