Verizon Store, Authorized dealer or web?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 8, 2004 2:24:12 PM

Okay, one more question. Now that I am somewhat armed with
knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon Store,
a Verizon authorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
best deals to be found?

Thanks again.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 2:24:13 PM

"JustMe" <smjunk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, one more question. Now that I am somewhat armed with
> knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
Store,
> a Verizon authorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
> best deals to be found?
>
> Thanks again.

Deals?!?!??! you actually put verizon store and authorized dealer in the
same sentence as deals!?!?!??!?!??!?!

Verizon Wireless sells airtime/contracts/service, the stores, kiosks, and
authorized dealers sell phones (that have to be marked up enuf to pay for
the store/salaries/taxes/utility bills etc). You can almost always find a
brand new, in the box, never activated, verizon ready phone from many many
many other resellers for a LOT LOT LOT less than you would ever get it for
at a rip off store.

My suggestion is to go to a store to get a contract/service and whatever
phone you can get absolutely free, then get whatever phone you really want
elsewhere and just activate it on the service you already have.

Numbers.. how bout a brand new Kyocera 7135 Smartphone is $599 ($499 with a
2 year contract) from a Verizon store, or on the web yet you can get a brand
new/never activated one elsewhere for $250, activate it for free on the
verizon website, and use it on your contract instead of the free phone you
got. That's at least a 50% savings. Some others are more or less, but always
way cheaper than a verizon store/kiosk.

You can actually get a contract directly from Verizon, and never go into a
store in the first place, but it's easier to go into a store to get a
contract/local phone number/free cheapo phone etc. and then get the phone
with the features you want and activate it on the contract you already have.
July 8, 2004 9:55:52 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message

> Verizon Wireless sells airtime/contracts/service, the stores, kiosks, and
> authorized dealers sell phones (that have to be marked up enuf to pay for
> the store/salaries/taxes/utility bills etc). You can almost always find a
> brand new, in the box, never activated, verizon ready phone from many many
> many other resellers for a LOT LOT LOT less than you would ever get it for
> at a rip off store.

Phones aren't marked up. Contract pricing at stores is less than store
cost, which is why you have to do the contract.

> Numbers.. how bout a brand new Kyocera 7135 Smartphone is $599 ($499 with
> 2 year contract) from a Verizon store, or on the web yet you can get a
brand
> new/never activated one elsewhere for $250, activate it for free on the
> verizon website, and use it on your contract instead of the free phone you
> got. That's at least a 50% savings. Some others are more or less, but
always
> way cheaper than a verizon store/kiosk.

Please show me where you can buy Kyocera 7135's for $250. I would order 10
today if you can point me in the right direction. Actually show me where I
can buy any brand new Verizon phone at less than Verizon's contract pricing
w/o an agreement.

KC
July 8, 2004 9:55:53 PM

_KC_ wrote:
> "Peter Pan" <> wrote in message
>>
>> Verizon Wireless sells airtime/contracts/service, the stores,
>> kiosks, and authorized dealers sell phones (that have to be marked
>> up enuf to pay for the store/salaries/taxes/utility bills etc). You
>> can almost always find a brand new, in the box, never activated,
>> verizon ready phone from many many many other resellers for a LOT
>> LOT LOT less than you would ever get it for at a rip off store.
>
> Phones aren't marked up. Contract pricing at stores is less than
> store cost, which is why you have to do the contract.
>

>> Numbers.. how bout a brand new Kyocera 7135 Smartphone is $599 ($499
>> with a 2 year contract) from a Verizon store, or on the web yet you
>> can get a brand new/never activated one elsewhere for $250, activate
>> it for free on the verizon website, and use it on your contract
>> instead of the free phone you got. That's at least a 50% savings.
>> Some others are more or less, but always way cheaper than a verizon
>> store/kiosk.

Actually it's $399 with contract.

> Please show me where you can buy Kyocera 7135's for $250. I would
> order 10 today if you can point me in the right direction. Actually
> show me where I can buy any brand new Verizon phone at less than
> Verizon's contract pricing w/o an agreement.

You may need to define "brand new"...

-Quick
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:55:53 PM

"_KC_" <kc@kc.com> wrote in message

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Verizon Wireless sells airtime/contracts/service, the stores, kiosks,
and
> > authorized dealers sell phones (that have to be marked up enuf to pay
for
> > the store/salaries/taxes/utility bills etc). You can almost always find
> > brand new, in the box, never activated, verizon ready phone from many
many
> > many other resellers for a LOT LOT LOT less than you would ever get it
for
> > at a rip off store.
>
> Phones aren't marked up. Contract pricing at stores is less than store
> cost, which is why you have to do the contract.
>

> > Numbers.. how bout a brand new Kyocera 7135 Smartphone is $599 ($499
with
> > 2 year contract) from a Verizon store, or on the web yet you can get a
> brand
> > new/never activated one elsewhere for $250, activate it for free on the
> > verizon website, and use it on your contract instead of the free phone
you
> > got. That's at least a 50% savings. Some others are more or less, but
> always
> > way cheaper than a verizon store/kiosk.
>

> Please show me where you can buy Kyocera 7135's for $250. I would order
10
> today if you can point me in the right direction. Actually show me where
> can buy any brand new Verizon phone at less than Verizon's contract
pricing
> w/o an agreement.
>

> KC

One for sure, go to www.ebay.com Click on Consumer Electronics (left side),
click on Cell Phones (phones Only) on the left side, on on the left side
again put in search criteria (most important, Service Compatibility =
Verizon, condition = New, Never Opened)

As for your challenge, good news, just did it for that and phone brand =
Kyocera, and search keyword = 7135, and there are 4 shown, $102.50, $325,
$212.50, and $265. Other phones and models can be searched on, and there are
two abbreviations that are useful to know, NIB = New In Box, and BIN = By It
Now (no bid, just buy it)

As long as I'm typing, once you get a phone from elsewhere, you can call
*611 and have it activated, or save money and go to www.verizonwireless.com,
top right corner login to your account, right hand side under phone
information click on Activate Phone, enter the new ESN number and reason for
change and hit submit. In about 10 minutes your new phone will be active.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:55:54 PM

> _KC_ wrote:
> > "Peter Pan" <> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Verizon Wireless sells airtime/contracts/service, the stores,
> >> kiosks, and authorized dealers sell phones (that have to be marked
> >> up enuf to pay for the store/salaries/taxes/utility bills etc). You
> >> can almost always find a brand new, in the box, never activated,
> >> verizon ready phone from many many many other resellers for a LOT
> >> LOT LOT less than you would ever get it for at a rip off store.
> >
> > Phones aren't marked up. Contract pricing at stores is less than
> > store cost, which is why you have to do the contract.
> >

> >> Numbers.. how bout a brand new Kyocera 7135 Smartphone is $599 ($499
> >> with a 2 year contract) from a Verizon store, or on the web yet you
> >> can get a brand new/never activated one elsewhere for $250, activate
> >> it for free on the verizon website, and use it on your contract
> >> instead of the free phone you got. That's at least a 50% savings.
> >> Some others are more or less, but always way cheaper than a verizon
> >> store/kiosk.
>
> Actually it's $399 with contract.
>
> > Please show me where you can buy Kyocera 7135's for $250. I would
> > order 10 today if you can point me in the right direction. Actually
> > show me where I can buy any brand new Verizon phone at less than
> > Verizon's contract pricing w/o an agreement.
>
> You may need to define "brand new"...
>
> -Quick

Depends on your zip code. It can be all sorts of prices depending on the zip
code you enter.

Brand new means you can search for "New, in Box", also implies never
activated. Before you think that ONLY verizon has them, i'd like to point
out that they are built by KYOCERA! Verizon itself doesn't manufacture any
phones whatsoever, every phone they sell is made by someone else, who can
sell that specific model to other vendors also.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:42:23 AM

"JvstMe" <smjvnk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, one more qvestion. Now that I am somewhat armed with
> knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
Store,
> a Verizon avthorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
> best deals to be fovnd?
>
> Thanks again.

There mvst a load of Verizon Wireless Stores in PA. This is where yov
want to go. And as I said earlier to yov if yov do get a good deal
(Price plan, telephone, contract) make svre yov bring yov ID card from
yovr work or vnion and see if they (Verizon) has the discovnt I
mentioned. I think even the military has a discovnt, I know that AARP
and AAA have discovnts as well. In NYS its 19% for employees and
vnions in this state.

It never hvrts to ask and argve the point to get what price breaks yov
can.

Elector
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:42:24 AM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:p kiHc.17879$yd5.5415@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "JvstMe" <smjvnk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, one more qvestion. Now that I am somewhat armed with
> > knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
> Store,
> > a Verizon avthorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
> > best deals to be fovnd?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >

> There mvst a load of Verizon Wireless Stores in PA. This is where yov
> want to go. And as I said earlier to yov if yov do get a good deal
> (Price plan, telephone, contract) make svre yov bring yov ID card from
> yovr work or vnion and see if they (Verizon) has the discovnt I
> mentioned. I think even the military has a discovnt, I know that AARP
> and AAA have discovnts as well. In NYS its 19% for employees and
> vnions in this state.
>
> It never hvrts to ask and argve the point to get what price breaks yov
> can.
>
> Elector

One major problem with Verizon stores is that they will ***NOT*** sell and
activate to anyone ovt of the area/zip codes they handle. I live in
Baltimore and am cvrrently in Las Vegas, I walked into a verizon store here
with CASH IN MY HAND! and they wovld NOT sell me a phone and activate it on
my contract! Svre, they wovld sell me a phone at an ovtrageovs price, bvt no
way wovld they activate it!
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:36:25 AM

I recently signed vp vp with VZW in Atlanta at Circvit Ciy becavse of
a promo on a VX6000 . I asked abovt AAA , USAA , and AARP and was
told by the salesperson there were none .
Since I own a small bvsiness , I asked abovt small bvsiness discovnts
an was told there weren
t any for <5 phones .
On Thv, 08 Jvl 2004 20:42:23 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>"JvstMe" <smjvnk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Okay, one more qvestion. Now that I am somewhat armed with
>> knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
>Store,
>> a Verizon avthorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
>> best deals to be fovnd?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

>There mvst a load of Verizon Wireless Stores in PA. This is where yov
>want to go. And as I said earlier to yov if yov do get a good deal
>(Price plan, telephone, contract) make svre yov bring yov ID card from
>yovr work or vnion and see if they (Verizon) has the discovnt I
>mentioned. I think even the military has a discovnt, I know that AARP
>and AAA have discovnts as well. In NYS its 19% for employees and
>vnions in this state.
>
>It never hvrts to ask and argve the point to get what price breaks yov
>can.
>
>Elector

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:36:26 AM

<nospam4me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I recently signed vp vp with VZW in Atlanta at Circvit Ciy becavse of
> a promo on a VX6000 . I asked abovt AAA , USAA , and AARP and was
> told by the salesperson there were none .
> Since I own a small bvsiness , I asked abovt small bvsiness discovnts
> an was told there weren
> t any for <5 phones .
> On Thv, 08 Jvl 2004 20:42:23 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"JvstMe" <smjvnk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Okay, one more qvestion. Now that I am somewhat armed with
> >> knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
> >Store,
> >> a Verizon avthorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
> >> best deals to be fovnd?
> >>
> >> Thanks again.
> >>

> >There mvst a load of Verizon Wireless Stores in PA. This is where yov
> >want to go. And as I said earlier to yov if yov do get a good deal
> >(Price plan, telephone, contract) make svre yov bring yov ID card from
> >yovr work or vnion and see if they (Verizon) has the discovnt I
> >mentioned. I think even the military has a discovnt, I know that AARP
> >and AAA have discovnts as well. In NYS its 19% for employees and
> >vnions in this state.
> >
> >It never hvrts to ask and argve the point to get what price breaks yov
> >can.
> >
> >Elector

The AARP discovnt is only for employees of AARP - not members of AARP.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 1:52:28 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> _KC_ wrote:

>>> Phones aren't marked up. Contract pricing at stores is less than
>>> store cost, which is why you have to do the contract.

>> Actually it's $399 with contract.
>>
>>> Please show me where you can buy Kyocera 7135's for $250. I would
>>> order 10 today if you can point me in the right direction. Actually
>>> show me where I can buy any brand new Verizon phone at less than
>>> Verizon's contract pricing w/o an agreement.
>>
>> You may need to define "brand new"...
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> Depends on your zip code. It can be all sorts of prices depending on
> the zip code you enter.
>
> Brand new means you can search for "New, in Box", also implies never
> activated. Before you think that ONLY verizon has them, i'd like to
> point out that they are built by KYOCERA! Verizon itself doesn't
> manufacture any phones whatsoever, every phone they sell is made by
> someone else, who can sell that specific model to other vendors also.

Let's say that the phone came from Telus and assumably has the Telus
firmware flashed on it by Kyocera. Any problem having VZW flash it
to get around the lock?

** substitute any carrier that locks their phones and carries the 7135
for "Telus". That might reduce the value on eBay.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:36:43 PM

<nospam4me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I recently signed vp vp with VZW in Atlanta at Circvit Ciy becavse
of
> a promo on a VX6000 . I asked abovt AAA , USAA , and AARP and was
> told by the salesperson there were none .
> Since I own a small bvsiness , I asked abovt small bvsiness
discovnts
> an was told there weren
> t any for <5 phones .

In the Albany NY Verizon Store or Crossgates Mall Store they will tell
yov that AAA and AARP and the Unions and GE and others have a discovnt
from 10% vp to 20%

Contact AAA or AARP or some of the other grovps yov may belong to and
ask them abovt it. Yov may be svrprised. Did yov know that AMEX has an
offer for a Small Bvsiness Services (I forgot the actval name for it
sorry) which gives yov a discovnt?

Natvrally Verizon does not want to tell yov if this company or that
company has a discovnt on services. Why wovld they? They want to grab
as mvch money from yov as they can.

Elector
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:44:34 PM

"IMHO" <imho@nospam.net> wrote in message
<Snip>
> The AARP discount is only for employees of AARP - not members of
AARP.

Thanks for telling me. I knew they offered a discount I thought it was
for the members.

Elector
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 3:44:31 PM

> Let's say that the phone came from Telus and assumably has the Telus
> firmware flashed on it by Kyocera. Any problem having VZW flash it
> to get around the lock?
>
> ** substitute any carrier that locks their phones and carries the 7135
> for "Telus". That might reduce the value on eBay.
>
> -Quick

Hmmm.. with a name like quick, you are awful slow.
Read back, and one of the search arguments is carrier. The post even says...
(most important, Service Compatibility = Verizon, condition = New, Never
Opened)
This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper than
the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd critisisms make me
wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos paycheck depends on ripping
off unsuspecting people.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 4:28:11 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Let's say that the phone came from Telus and assumably has the Telus
>> firmware flashed on it by Kyocera. Any problem having VZW flash it
>> to get around the lock?
>>
>> ** substitute any carrier that locks their phones and carries the
>> 7135 for "Telus". That might reduce the value on eBay.
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> Hmmm.. with a name like quick, you are awful slow.
> Read back, and one of the search arguments is carrier. The post even
> says... (most important, Service Compatibility = Verizon, condition =
> New, Never Opened)
> This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper
> than the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd
> critisisms make me wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos
> paycheck depends on ripping off unsuspecting people.

Steven has already made the polite reply so I will try to refrain
from making the easy adhominem reply...

"constant absurd critisisms...paycheck depends on ripping off
unsuspecting people"? The risk of getting burned on eBay is
significant. You have to ask why a $400 (subsidised) phone is
being sold for $250 or less "new, never opened". There is usually
a reason. Esecially when there are many other 7135s on eBay
going for well over $300 and $400?

As I understand it, your assertion is that VZW is perpetrating some
scam by ripping off their customers with exhorbitantly priced "subsidised"
phones? please.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 5:58:05 PM

Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Let's say that the phone came from Telus and assumably has the Telus
>> firmware flashed on it by Kyocera. Any problem having VZW flash it
>> to get around the lock?
>>
>> ** substitute any carrier that locks their phones and carries the 7135
>> for "Telus". That might reduce the value on eBay.
>>
>> -Quick
>>

> Hmmm.. with a name like quick, you are awful slow.
> Read back, and one of the search arguments is carrier. The post even says...
> (most important, Service Compatibility = Verizon, condition = New, Never
> Opened)
> This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper than
> the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd critisisms make me
> wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos paycheck depends on ripping
> off unsuspecting people.

Um. Service Compatibility = Verizon could mean Sprint PCS, US Cellular,
Western Wireless CellularONE, Northcoast PCS, MetroPCS, or Cricket, all of
which use CDMA.

Service Compatibility COULD even mean Telus, because Telus is also a CDMA
carrier. With Telus, since they're Canadian, you run the risk of buying a
phone not approved by the FCC and therefore not legally usable in the USA,
but you mentioned the 7135, which obviously is FCC-approved because it's
sold here...

July 9, 2004 7:49:21 PM

Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>> This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper
>> than the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd
>> critisisms make me wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos
>> paycheck depends on ripping off unsuspecting people.
>
> Steven has already made the polite reply so I will try to refrain
> from making the easy adhominem reply...
>
> "constant absurd critisisms...paycheck depends on ripping off
> unsuspecting people"? The risk of getting burned on eBay is
> significant. You have to ask why a $400 (subsidised) phone is
> being sold for $250 or less "new, never opened". There is usually
> a reason. Esecially when there are many other 7135s on eBay
> going for well over $300 and $400?
>
> As I understand it, your assertion is that VZW is perpetrating some
> scam by ripping off their customers with exhorbitantly priced "subsidised"
> phones? please.

Let me point out additionally that if Quick was a Verizon employee,
he sure as hell wouldn't be posting using a cisco.com address... he isn't
on this post, but he's used it extensively in the past. I'm going to go
way, way, WAY out on a limb and guess that he works for Cisco.

(Of course I'm also assuming that Quick is male... I have no way of
determining whether that's true or not, it's just an assumption)

July 9, 2004 11:47:31 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Let's say that the phone came from Telus and assumably has the Telus
> >> firmware flashed on it by Kyocera. Any problem having VZW flash it
> >> to get around the lock?
> >>
> >> ** substitute any carrier that locks their phones and carries the 7135
> >> for "Telus". That might reduce the value on eBay.
> >>
> >> -Quick
> >>

> > Hmmm.. with a name like quick, you are awful slow.
> > Read back, and one of the search arguments is carrier. The post even
says...
> > (most important, Service Compatibility = Verizon, condition = New, Never
> > Opened)
> > This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper
than
> > the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd critisisms
make me
> > wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos paycheck depends on
ripping
> > off unsuspecting people.
>
> Um. Service Compatibility = Verizon could mean Sprint PCS, US Cellular,
> Western Wireless CellularONE, Northcoast PCS, MetroPCS, or Cricket, all of
> which use CDMA.
>
> Service Compatibility COULD even mean Telus, because Telus is also a CDMA
> carrier. With Telus, since they're Canadian, you run the risk of buying a
> phone not approved by the FCC and therefore not legally usable in the USA,
> but you mentioned the 7135, which obviously is FCC-approved because it's
> sold here...
>
> --

Um yourself, the service compatability box has a whole bunch of options:
Any
Alltel
AT&T Wireless
Bell Mobility
Cingular
Fido
Nextel
Rogers AT&T
Sprint PCS
T-Mobile
Telus
U.S. Cellular
Verizon

Why would anyone with the slightest bit of sanity pick any carrier other
than what's on the list (Probably Verizon since this a Verizon NG) and have
to worry about lock codes/out of country use etc?

Seems to me that you are being as obtuse/difficult/silly as the OP is.

I'm really really surprized at you of all people, since I just bought two
used VERIZON phones from you, and you said you sell on ebay all the time.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 12:31:12 AM

> Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
> >> This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are cheaper
> >> than the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant absurd
> >> critisisms make me wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson whos
> >> paycheck depends on ripping off unsuspecting people.
> >
> > Steven has already made the polite reply so I will try to refrain
> > from making the easy adhominem reply...
> >
> > "constant absurd critisisms...paycheck depends on ripping off
> > unsuspecting people"? The risk of getting burned on eBay is
> > significant. You have to ask why a $400 (subsidised) phone is
> > being sold for $250 or less "new, never opened". There is usually
> > a reason. Esecially when there are many other 7135s on eBay
> > going for well over $300 and $400?
> >
> > As I understand it, your assertion is that VZW is perpetrating some
> > scam by ripping off their customers with exhorbitantly priced
"subsidised"
> > phones? please.
>
> Let me point out additionally that if Quick was a Verizon employee,
> he sure as hell wouldn't be posting using a cisco.com address... he isn't
> on this post, but he's used it extensively in the past. I'm going to go
> way, way, WAY out on a limb and guess that he works for Cisco.
>
> (Of course I'm also assuming that Quick is male... I have no way of
> determining whether that's true or not, it's just an assumption)
>
> --

Nope, my assertion was that SOME TEMP (not perm) verizon employees scam
people to make a few extra bucks, and then move on (probably before they get
fired). My self and many others have renewed our contracts, not gotten a new
phone with NE2, yet find out later that we supposedly "got" a phone on
renewal, and now our NE2 date has been changed to two years from when our
new contract started even tho we didn't get a phone!). Or bought a phone at
a local store (based on our zip code), and then found out the price was
different for people in other zip codes.

Funny you mention Cisco. I just bought a Linksys (division of Cisco) WRT54G
Wap/Router from a wholesaler for $49. (yes they sell phones too, that's
where we buy em at wholesale and sell em for retail). Where do you think the
small sellers get their phones from? We (where I work), don't stock em, we
buy them from a wholesaler, mark em up to a price Verizon suggests, and
either make money selling the phone outright at retail, or get money from
VZW for a contract, in which case we discount the phone.

Funny, that's the way almost all retail business works (buy
cheaper/wholesale, and sell for more/retail), yet you honestly think that
every business in the world works that way EXCEPT Verizon?!?!?! Who in the
world (except governments) buy for retail and give away (or sell for less)?
Hate to tell you, but Verizon is NOT a government!
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 10:28:15 PM

"JustMe" <smjunk905spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, one more question. Now that I am somewhat armed with
> knowledge (yeah, right!), is it best to deal directly with a Verizon
Store,
> a Verizon authorized dealer, or Verizon on the web? Where are the
> best deals to be found?
>
> Thanks again.

Depends on whether or not your authorized dealer is also the
warranty center for the brand of phone you purchase from them. Take it from
a customer service rep that you want to purchase the phone directly from
Verizon Wireless, so that you will be able to get fast warranty service if
it's necessary. Some phones are on special deals from the web site, but the
prices are mostly the same.
--
"Obscurity is Often the Refuge of the Incompetent."
Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

> One major problem with Verizon stores is that they will ***NOT*** sell and
> activate to anyone out of the area/zip codes they handle. I live in
> Baltimore and am currently in Las Vegas, I walked into a verizon store
here
> with CASH IN MY HAND! and they would NOT sell me a phone and activate it
on
> my contract! Sure, they would sell me a phone at an outrageous price, but
no
> way would they activate it!

If you already have an account in Maryland, the Vegas store should
have called NE customer service and checked for your upgrade date, then had
one of us activate the phone for you on your existing account. I've dealt
with quite a few store reps who call in like that, and it's never been an
issue. I've also spoken to customers who were out of area and stores would
not assist. With those folks I usually call another store in that area or a
store in the city to which they are travelling and get an assurance of
assistance to the customer. Try it again and if they balk, have them call
customer service and find out that they certainly can sell you an upgrade
phone.
--
"Obscurity is Often the Refuge of the Incompetent."
Jubal Harshaw in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:59:00 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Hmmm.. with a name like quick, you are awful slow.
>>> Read back, and one of the search arguments is carrier. The post
>>> even says... (most important, Service Compatibility = Verizon,
>>> condition = New, Never Opened)
>>> This is a verizon NG and we are talking about phones that are
>>> cheaper than the ones sold by the verizon stores. Your constant
>>> absurd critisisms make me wonder if you aren't a verizon saleperson
>>> whos paycheck depends on ripping off unsuspecting people.
>>
>> Um. Service Compatibility = Verizon could mean Sprint PCS, US
>> Cellular, Western Wireless CellularONE, Northcoast PCS, MetroPCS, or
>> Cricket, all of which use CDMA.
>>
>> Service Compatibility COULD even mean Telus, because Telus is also a
>> CDMA carrier. With Telus, since they're Canadian, you run the risk
>> of buying a phone not approved by the FCC and therefore not legally
>> usable in the USA, but you mentioned the 7135, which obviously is
>> FCC-approved because it's sold here...
>>
>> --
>
> Um yourself, the service compatability box has a whole bunch of
> Alltel
> AT&T Wireless
> Bell Mobility
> Cingular
> Fido
> Nextel
> Rogers AT&T
> Sprint PCS
> T-Mobile
> Telus
> U.S. Cellular
> Verizon
>

> Why would anyone with the slightest bit of sanity pick any carrier
> other than what's on the list (Probably Verizon since this a Verizon
> NG) and have to worry about lock codes/out of country use etc?
>
> Seems to me that you are being as obtuse/difficult/silly as the OP is.
>
> I'm really really surprized at you of all people, since I just bought
> two used VERIZON phones from you, and you said you sell on ebay all
> the time.

(not exactly sure what you're saying above). Apparently the service
compatibility field only implies that the phone will work with that ISP
and does not imply that it came from that ISP. Some of those listed
are CDMA service providers that do lock their phones.

I selected "Verizon" and looked at some of the 7135s available. Some of
those were definitely not VZW phones.

-Quick
!