worthless activation

Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a lawyer that you
only bought 25 uses of it ?

Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall the os
etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is capable of throwing
at you, and every time you have to activate brings you closer to having to ask
every time one of these annoyances crashes you for permission to use your
machine again from someone so bored of reading the same numbers over and over
again all day long that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the machine ?

And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my 50th
activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?

I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.

And if anyone cares this is on a registered copy less than a year old.

More about worthless activation

    There is no limit to the number of times you can activate
    Windows XP installed on the same computer. If you are
    unable to activate via the internet, then select the alternative
    option to "activate by phone".

    How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Husky wrote:
    > Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a
    > lawyer that you only bought 25 uses of it ?
    >
    > Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall
    > the os etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is
    > capable of throwing at you, and every time you have to activate
    > brings you closer to having to ask every time one of these annoyances
    > crashes you for permission to use your machine again from someone so
    > bored of reading the same numbers over and over again all day long
    > that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the machine ?
    >
    > And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my
    > 50th activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?
    >
    > I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.
    >
    > And if anyone cares this is on a registered copy less than a year old.

    First paragraph - incorrect.
    Second paragraph - usually your own fault.
    Third paragraph - insanity.
    Fourth paragraph - personal choice.
    Fifth paragraph - registration is optional, activation is mandatory.

    Simply put - other than you making a statement that you are considering not
    using a Microsoft product anymore - everything you stated is due to
    ignorance of the facts about activation, poor maintenance of the machine
    (ignorance of how to properly maintain a Windows computer) and/or just
    ranting and raving because of some unknown event that has happened to you.

    You can activate your copy of Windows XP (if an OEM copy - 'on the same
    hardware' should be added) an unlimited number of times. Depending on how
    often and the circumstance - you may find yourself required to call and
    actibvate over the telephone instead of the Internet.

    While there are bugs in Windows XP - a majority of computer problems
    (evident even by these newsgroups) are user issues - either by direct
    interaction or by the attempted use of obselete hardware/software. A
    reinstall of a system should hardly ever be "necessary" - given proper
    maintenance. Yes - hardware can and will go bad - this is a valid reason -
    and it can be disheartening to find out that you had purchased an OEM
    version of Windows XP and when your motherboard and hard drive fried from
    that lightning strike - the copy of Windows XP went with it because you
    cannot get the manufacturer to replace it since your PC is out of warranty.
    To be perfectly honest however, that would usually be the fault of the OEM
    that sole you the PC for customizing the copy of Windows XP so much.. If
    your machine was that old and you replaced the motherboard and hard drive
    and reinstalled Windows - you would probably activate it with no problem if
    the copy of Windows was a generic OEM.

    The fact about activation is it is unlimited - you can do it as often as you
    want as many times as you want and Microsoft has even stated that when
    Windows XP support ends, the activation necessity will somehow be "removed".
    If you are having trouble with activation by Internet - you try telephone
    activation.. if you have to talk to a MS representative instead of the
    automated line - you tell them your story.. Then you are reactivated. To
    put it in simplest terms - if you wanted to reactivate your copy of Windows
    XP without interacting with anyone - you could reinstall and do so every 121
    days.

    First of all - what caused this rant? Can we help solve this problem so
    that your machine will not be so unreasonably unstable that you have to
    reinstall this often? Are you performing tests opf some sort that requires
    you to start at a certain point every so often? Have you ever considered an
    imaging product to backup your system after a fresh installation/activation?

    If this was more of a trolling expedition - I expect you to get a few more
    hits with or without your further participation. Otherwise - perhaps you
    should consider learning about your system, how to secure and stabilize it
    and how to basically maintain/troubleshoot it and see if all of your worries
    don't just go away... I'll wait for an answer before I assist further..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Husky wrote:
    > Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a lawyer that you
    > only bought 25 uses of it ?

    Well, no. Why should they? There's no such limitation/

    > Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall the os
    > etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is capable of throwing
    > at you, and every time you have to activate brings you closer to having to ask
    > every time one of these annoyances crashes you for permission to use your
    > machine again from someone so bored of reading the same numbers over and over
    > again all day long that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the machine ?

    Perhaps you should spend a little time learning how to use and maintain
    a computer, rather than mindlessly venting near-gibberish.

    > And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my 50th
    > activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?

    Nope. That is, assuming that you know so little about computers and
    software that you actually have to re-install the OS 50 times.

    > I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.

    If you can't manage to get a Windows PC to run without problem for a
    year or two, I'd pay to watch you try Linux. It'd be a laugh-riot.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Would you care to show us where this 25 use limit is pointed out?

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a lawyer
    > that you
    > only bought 25 uses of it ?
    >
    > Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall the os
    > etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is capable of
    > throwing
    > at you, and every time you have to activate brings you closer to having to
    > ask
    > every time one of these annoyances crashes you for permission to use your
    > machine again from someone so bored of reading the same numbers over and
    > over
    > again all day long that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the
    > machine ?
    >
    > And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my 50th
    > activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?
    >
    > I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.
    >
    > And if anyone cares this is on a registered copy less than a year old.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    Husky

    Even if the activation limit was a reality, anybody who has to re-activate
    24 times really shouldn't own a computer..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a lawyer
    > that you
    > only bought 25 uses of it ?
    >
    > Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall the os
    > etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is capable of
    > throwing
    > at you, and every time you have to activate brings you closer to having to
    > ask
    > every time one of these annoyances crashes you for permission to use your
    > machine again from someone so bored of reading the same numbers over and
    > over
    > again all day long that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the
    > machine ?
    >
    > And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my 50th
    > activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?
    >
    > I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.
    >
    > And if anyone cares this is on a registered copy less than a year old.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:35:00 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >There is no limit to the number of times you can activate
    >Windows XP installed on the same computer. If you are
    >unable to activate via the internet, then select the alternative
    >option to "activate by phone".
    >
    >How to activate Windows XP
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

    If you haven't upgraded your machine often enough, or re-installed the OS for
    whatever reason, and activated the MS liar software a minimum of 25 times, you
    don't know what you're talking about.

    The software that calls you liar and thief starts every time you run the
    machine.

    I replaced wheel mice maybe 5-6 times. each one triggering something in the
    liar monitor. I didn't bother to track it because activation took less than a
    minute. Now every time something blows up and the liar software tells you to
    reactivate, it's going to be a minimum of one hour listening to a machine that
    can't help you, then handed off to someone where your language is a 2nd
    language to them assuming they can read the numbers correctly the 1st few
    times.
    I guess they assumed the numbers they threw out could be argued as your fault,
    assuming you hadn't written them down as they were said.

    From now on every time this machine gets the urge, it's back to the same
    endless garbage on EVERY activation until I do switch to a BETTER OS.. Where
    are you Amiga ??????????

    Husky wrote:
    > If you haven't upgraded your machine often enough, or re-installed
    > the OS for whatever reason, and activated the MS liar software a
    > minimum of 25 times, you don't know what you're talking about.
    >
    > The software that calls you liar and thief starts every time you run
    > the machine.
    >
    > I replaced wheel mice maybe 5-6 times. each one triggering something
    > in the liar monitor. I didn't bother to track it because activation
    > took less than a minute. Now every time something blows up and the
    > liar software tells you to reactivate, it's going to be a minimum of
    > one hour listening to a machine that can't help you, then handed off
    > to someone where your language is a 2nd language to them assuming
    > they can read the numbers correctly the 1st few times.
    > I guess they assumed the numbers they threw out could be argued as
    > your fault, assuming you hadn't written them down as they were said.
    >
    > From now on every time this machine gets the urge, it's back to the
    > same endless garbage on EVERY activation until I do switch to a
    > BETTER OS.. Where are you Amiga ??????????

    Okay - ignore all my other responses to you..
    In your world you are correct. Deal with it there. =)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:46:27 -0500, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >XP without interacting with anyone - you could reinstall and do so every 121
    >days.
    >
    >First of all - what caused this rant? Can we help solve this problem so
    >that your machine will not be so unreasonably unstable that you have to
    >reinstall this often? Are you performing tests opf some sort that requires
    >you to start at a certain point every so often? Have you ever considered an
    >imaging product to backup your system after a fresh installation/activation?
    >
    >If this was more of a trolling expedition - I expect you to get a few more
    >hits with or without your further participation. Otherwise - perhaps you
    >should consider learning about your system, how to secure and stabilize it
    >and how to basically maintain/troubleshoot it and see if all of your worries
    >don't just go away... I'll wait for an answer before I assist further..

    About the only thing that can be said is if you haven't reached the 25 modem
    activation limit yet, you don't know what you're talking about or in for.
    That installation serial of yours is trash after 25 activations.

    And still they miss the point that MS is calling anyone using their software a
    bunch of liars and thieves. And they let a DUMB machine make that decision.

    Why should you have to 'ACTIVATE' something you've already paid for more than
    once ?

    Husky wrote:
    > About the only thing that can be said is if you haven't reached the
    > 25 modem activation limit yet, you don't know what you're talking
    > about or in for. That installation serial of yours is trash after 25
    > activations.

    No such limit - none - zero - zilch.

    > And still they miss the point that MS is calling anyone using their
    > software a bunch of liars and thieves. And they let a DUMB machine
    > make that decision.

    No - that doesn't happen either.

    > Why should you have to 'ACTIVATE' something you've already paid for
    > more than once ?

    You paid for the usage - not the product. Ever activated a credit card?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:36:35 -0400, "Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org>
    wrote:

    >Would you care to show us where this 25 use limit is pointed out?

    Hit the limit, they'll tell you in Spanish, Thai, or Yiddish.

    Husky wrote:
    > Hit the limit, they'll tell you in Spanish, Thai, or Yiddish.

    There is no limit. You are mistaken.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:03:39 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Husky
    >
    >Even if the activation limit was a reality, anybody who has to re-activate
    >24 times really shouldn't own a computer..

    When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all by voice to
    a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international caller on the other
    end when it fails.

    You don't need to reinstall the OS 25 times, upgrading software, replacing old
    worthless parts, upgrading hardware, any time you reboot the machine the liar
    software checks your last few changes.

    If you use something it acquires wear and tear. requiring upgrading, replacing
    parts.

    But no sense really arguing with the MS robot dogs. You all seem to have been
    bought off ages ago by MS.

    Husky wrote:
    > When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    > 25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all
    > by voice to a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international
    > caller on the other end when it fails.

    Doesn't exist. No limit on activation.
    You are just incorrect.
    When you are wrong - you are just wrong - no matter what it is.
    There is no limit on the number of times you can activate a license of
    Windows XP.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Then you are the only one that has hit the fictitious 25 limit.
    It is also noted that you ignored the request for a source for the 25
    activation limit.
    I have known some who are well beyond that.
    Even the harshest critics of Microsoft activation know there is no such
    limit.
    You did not hit a limit, but you may think you have.
    Post proof of your claim.
    Also explain why you seem to be the only one affected.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    > 25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all by
    > voice to
    > a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international caller on the
    > other
    > end when it fails.
    >
    > You don't need to reinstall the OS 25 times, upgrading software, replacing
    > old
    > worthless parts, upgrading hardware, any time you reboot the machine the
    > liar
    > software checks your last few changes.
    >
    > If you use something it acquires wear and tear. requiring upgrading,
    > replacing
    > parts.
    >
    > But no sense really arguing with the MS robot dogs. You all seem to have
    > been
    > bought off ages ago by MS.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:34:12 -0500, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Husky wrote:
    >> When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    >> 25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all
    >> by voice to a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international
    >> caller on the other end when it fails.
    >
    >Doesn't exist. No limit on activation.
    >You are just incorrect.
    >When you are wrong - you are just wrong - no matter what it is.
    >There is no limit on the number of times you can activate a license of
    >Windows XP.

    You aren't the only one that doesn't have a clue what you're talking about, so
    let me provide PROOF.

    http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof1.jpg
    http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof2.jpg

    The word "EXCEEDED" plainly means a LIMITATION in every dictionary I've ever
    read.

    Final comment by the operator this will happen EVERY time it needs reactivation
    from now on.
    Voice activation ONLY !

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:19:24 -0600, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >Then you are the only one that has hit the fictitious 25 limit.
    >It is also noted that you ignored the request for a source for the 25
    >activation limit.
    >I have known some who are well beyond that.
    >Even the harshest critics of Microsoft activation know there is no such
    >limit.
    >You did not hit a limit, but you may think you have.
    >Post proof of your claim.
    >Also explain why you seem to be the only one affected.

    Take your foot of your mouth long enough to read my previous post with PROOF1
    and PROOF2 jpg's...

    http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof1.jpg
    http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof2.jpg

    It's amazing this loyalty to a clearly illegal company. Monopolies are
    definitely illegal.
    You may throw out brand x exists as some sort of argument that M$ is NOT a
    monopoly, all that proves is that M$ doesn't create their monopoly the same as
    criminals in the 20's did by eradicating the competition.

    I wish there were another choice. Apple won't survive much longer unless they
    merge with M$.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I never even suggested "brand x", that is your attempted misdirection of
    this thread.
    Your reference to monopolies clearly shows how desperate you are to foist
    this fiction.
    Monopoly has nothing to do with this thread except for you to some how
    change the subject from your lost point.

    There is nothing on those links to support the 25 limit.
    I suggest you look at those images again, especially the parts you seem to
    have missed.
    Hint: The word "error" is part of it.
    That message will come up if the activation system believes that key has
    been installed on more computers than licensed.
    So if Windows has been installed on more than one computer you have exceeded
    the number of activations.

    You need to get your facts straight.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
    > Take your foot of your mouth long enough to read my previous post with
    > PROOF1
    > and PROOF2 jpg's...
    >
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof1.jpg
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof2.jpg
    >
    > It's amazing this loyalty to a clearly illegal company. Monopolies are
    > definitely illegal.
    > You may throw out brand x exists as some sort of argument that M$ is NOT a
    > monopoly, all that proves is that M$ doesn't create their monopoly the
    > same as
    > criminals in the 20's did by eradicating the competition.
    >
    > I wish there were another choice. Apple won't survive much longer unless
    > they
    > merge with M$.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    NOTHING in the links you supplied says "anything" about a 25 time activation
    limit. It says that you need a 25 digit activation key. What you are seeing
    is normal. If you do nothing to your system for 180 days, the system resets
    to ZERO and you can activate over the internet as you first did. If you
    change things a lot, expect to have to make that phone call.

    But, there are even ways around that. I test scads of hardware and software
    and have had to only activate once.

    Now, instead of having an attitude, why don't you ask how that can be done -
    if you are something other than a TROLL!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:19:24 -0600, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Then you are the only one that has hit the fictitious 25 limit.
    >>It is also noted that you ignored the request for a source for the 25
    >>activation limit.
    >>I have known some who are well beyond that.
    >>Even the harshest critics of Microsoft activation know there is no such
    >>limit.
    >>You did not hit a limit, but you may think you have.
    >>Post proof of your claim.
    >>Also explain why you seem to be the only one affected.
    >
    > Take your foot of your mouth long enough to read my previous post with
    > PROOF1
    > and PROOF2 jpg's...
    >
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof1.jpg
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof2.jpg
    >
    > It's amazing this loyalty to a clearly illegal company. Monopolies are
    > definitely illegal.
    > You may throw out brand x exists as some sort of argument that M$ is NOT a
    > monopoly, all that proves is that M$ doesn't create their monopoly the
    > same as
    > criminals in the 20's did by eradicating the competition.
    >
    > I wish there were another choice. Apple won't survive much longer unless
    > they
    > merge with M$.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    well, you caught on...it's just a big huge plot by MS to, at first, lull you
    into complacency, then, just as you get fairly comfortable with their
    software, they hit you with the full treatment.. they mess with your mind,
    your soul, your sanity..you begin to wonder just how many time are they
    going to make you activate before you will no longer have the strength to
    continue the process...The next thing you know, they will be snooping in
    your yard, your place of employment...checking to see if you are near, or
    have EXCEEDED your limit of 25 activations, and, just like Big Brother, they
    will be waiting for you when you do..oh, yes indeedy, they most certainly
    will.
    Then they'll start asking questions, ..like, 'How long have you been hearing
    voices in your head? that sort of thing. SO, you are right to be so
    paranoid..really, and please, don't let the MS robot dogs tell you anything
    different, no matter how many of them sound sane, sound like they know what
    they are talking about, or appear to be rational, because, well it's all
    part of the plot.

    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:03:39 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    > <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Husky
    >>
    >>Even if the activation limit was a reality, anybody who has to re-activate
    >>24 times really shouldn't own a computer..
    >
    > When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    > 25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all by
    > voice to
    > a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international caller on the
    > other
    > end when it fails.
    >
    > You don't need to reinstall the OS 25 times, upgrading software, replacing
    > old
    > worthless parts, upgrading hardware, any time you reboot the machine the
    > liar
    > software checks your last few changes.
    >
    > If you use something it acquires wear and tear. requiring upgrading,
    > replacing
    > parts.
    >
    > But no sense really arguing with the MS robot dogs. You all seem to have
    > been
    > bought off ages ago by MS.
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:25:27 -0400, "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)"
    <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Husky
    >
    >You have way too many preconceptions about computing in general and
    >Microsoft in particular to ever overcome your problems.. changing to another
    >platform requires a level of understanding that clearly you could not
    >muster..
    >
    >I would suggest that you either quit computing completely, or listen to
    >people that may be able to give you the knowledge to make computing fun..
    I've been at it for more than 20 years. It was a pain arguing with a machine
    then, and it's even harder arguing with those that believe the machine is
    infallible.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Husky wrote:
    > Did MS tell you in lettering large enough that didn't require a lawyer that you
    > only bought 25 uses of it ?
    >
    > Seems every time you upgrade your machine, crash, have to reinstall the os
    > etc.. in general come up face to face with every bug MS is capable of throwing
    > at you, and every time you have to activate brings you closer to having to ask
    > every time one of these annoyances crashes you for permission to use your
    > machine again from someone so bored of reading the same numbers over and over
    > again all day long that you seriously consider taking a hammer to the machine ?
    >
    > And they wonder why there's piracy... This time next year after my 50th
    > activation are they going to tell I can' activate at all ?
    >
    > I'm thinking I'll say goodbye to MS long before I reach that date.
    >
    > And if anyone cares this is on a registered copy less than a year old.

    Congratulations on a very successful troll post.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca\windowsxp

    Proof of what?

    "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message news:sltjd1dh0gmjo27meusuljtn0fsflnfscj@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:34:12 -0500, "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Husky wrote:
    >>> When you hit it and MS hasn't bought you out get back here.
    >>> 25 is the limit on the serial for your OS by modem. 26- xxx are all
    >>> by voice to a machine that's programmed to fail, and an international
    >>> caller on the other end when it fails.
    >>
    >>Doesn't exist. No limit on activation.
    >>You are just incorrect.
    >>When you are wrong - you are just wrong - no matter what it is.
    >>There is no limit on the number of times you can activate a license of
    >>Windows XP.
    >
    > You aren't the only one that doesn't have a clue what you're talking about, so
    > let me provide PROOF.
    >
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof1.jpg
    > http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/bev/proof2.jpg
    >
    > The word "EXCEEDED" plainly means a LIMITATION in every dictionary I've ever
    > read.
    >
    > Final comment by the operator this will happen EVERY time it needs reactivation
    > from now on.
    > Voice activation ONLY !
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "" wrote:
> [...]
    > stabilize it
    > >and how to basically maintain/troubleshoot it and see if all
    > of your worries
    > >don't just go away... I'll wait for an answer before I
    > assist further..
    > >
    > >--
    > >Shenan Stanley
    > > MS-MVP
    >
    > About the only thing that can be said is if you haven't
    > reached the 25 modem
    > activation limit yet, you don't know what you're talking about
    > or in for.
    > That installation serial of yours is trash after 25
    > activations.
    >
    > And still they miss the point that MS is calling anyone using
    > their software a
    > bunch of liars and thieves. And they let a DUMB machine make
    > that decision.
    >
    > Why should you have to 'ACTIVATE' something you've already

    Although I legally own my copy of XP, i chose not to activate windows,
    living in England and not the US or any other country, it is perfectly
    legal to by pass the windows activation, I prefer my anonymity, the
    less information I send to Microsoft, the better, plus I can use this
    copy of XP on many different PC (obviously not at the same time :P)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-worthless-activation-ftopict396721.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1308982
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are confusing the issue. Product Activation is mandatory
    and "registration" is entirely optional.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sparda" wrote:

    | Although I legally own my copy of XP, i chose not to activate windows,
    | living in England and not the US or any other country, it is perfectly
    | legal to by pass the windows activation, I prefer my anonymity, the
    | less information I send to Microsoft, the better, plus I can use this
    | copy of XP on many different PC (obviously not at the same time :P)
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On 18 Jul 2005 21:35:36 -0400, Sparda <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    >Although I legally own my copy of XP, i chose not to activate windows,
    >living in England and not the US or any other country, it is perfectly
    >legal to by pass the windows activation, I prefer my anonymity, the
    >less information I send to Microsoft, the better, plus I can use this
    >copy of XP on many different PC (obviously not at the same time :P)

    Interesting, how do you avoid the remind me NAG ?
    Or for that matter, how do you get it to work past the 30 day grace period
    allowed before needing to activate ?

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Husky wrote:
    > Interesting, how do you avoid the remind me NAG ?
    > Or for that matter, how do you get it to work past the 30 day grace
    > period allowed before needing to activate ?

    They could have cracked it.. generated a false number (but working one.)..
    Downloaded a volume license copy of Windows XP and used it.. Used one of
    the many methods on the Internet for getting past activation...

    Or..

    More likely.. Mistook "registration" for "activation".

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You can't. You need to activate Windows XP within
    thirty days of installation.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Husky" wrote:

    | Interesting, how do you avoid the remind me NAG ?
    | Or for that matter, how do you get it to work past the 30 day grace period
    | allowed before needing to activate ?
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:05:47 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >You can't. You need to activate Windows XP within
    >thirty days of installation.

    Guy says he does it with a registered version. I want to know how...

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Guy" is full of beans....

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Husky" wrote:

    | Guy says he does it with a registered version. I want to know how...
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > "Guy" is full of beans....
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > Technologies:

    > -----------------------------
    >
    > "Husky" wrote:
    >
    > | Guy says he does it with a registered version. I want to
    > know how...

    Hello, I havent been keeping track, but i use reset5.02 to disable the
    activation, this dose only work upto service pack1, but i don’t
    intend on upgrading to SP2, if it works, then why upgrade, lots of
    compnays (infect the majority) still use windows 2000 with win 2k
    servers, whats the point upgrading if it alredy works. Plus from past
    experiance i have discovered that upgrading from one SP to another
    causes general instability and anoyance, alot of the updates that MS
    provide (including SP2) just have a feel good factor "I have all
    updates... My PC must be secure". Obviusly this is not so, and as such
    i am behind a hardware firewall and ontop of that run a personal
    firewall (ZA Pro to be exact) along side spybot S & D and AntiVir
    (compleat with automated internal update server), basicly i refer you
    back to "if it works, why upgrade?"

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-worthless-activation-ftopict396721.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1313790
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > basicly i refer you back to "if it works, why upgrade?"

    Sooner or later, you become obsolete.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Perhaps the same problems that cause instability in your computer are
    related to your need to use such things as reset5.02.

    "if it works, why upgrade?"
    Perhaps it does work.
    Or perhaps it seems to work but you can not see that it is broken.

    Service Packs have not caused me any problems, but then I take care of my
    computers so the Service Packs install smoothly.

    --

    "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I havent been keeping track, but i use reset5.02 to disable the
    > activation, this dose only work upto service pack1, but i donâ?Tt
    > intend on upgrading to SP2, if it works, then why upgrade, lots of
    > compnays (infect the majority) still use windows 2000 with win 2k
    > servers, whats the point upgrading if it alredy works. Plus from past
    > experiance i have discovered that upgrading from one SP to another
    > causes general instability and anoyance, alot of the updates that MS
    > provide (including SP2) just have a feel good factor "I have all
    > updates... My PC must be secure". Obviusly this is not so, and as such
    > i am behind a hardware firewall and ontop of that run a personal
    > firewall (ZA Pro to be exact) along side spybot S & D and AntiVir
    > (compleat with automated internal update server), basicly i refer you
    > back to "if it works, why upgrade?"

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-worthless-activation-ftopict396721.html
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On 19 Jul 2005 20:35:36 -0400, Sparda <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > "Guy" is full of beans....
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > > Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > > -----------------------------
    > >
    > > "Husky" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Guy says he does it with a registered version. I want to
    > > know how...
    >
    >Hello, I havent been keeping track, but i use reset5.02 to disable the
    >activation, this dose only work upto service pack1, but i don’t
    >intend on upgrading to SP2, if it works, then why upgrade, lots of
    >compnays (infect the majority) still use windows 2000 with win 2k
    >servers, whats the point upgrading if it alredy works. Plus from past
    >experiance i have discovered that upgrading from one SP to another
    >causes general instability and anoyance, alot of the updates that MS
    >provide (including SP2) just have a feel good factor "I have all
    >updates... My PC must be secure". Obviusly this is not so, and as such
    >i am behind a hardware firewall and ontop of that run a personal
    >firewall (ZA Pro to be exact) along side spybot S & D and AntiVir
    >(compleat with automated internal update server), basicly i refer you
    >back to "if it works, why upgrade?"

    Why upgrade from win 3.01 ? Because you'll get trampled in the advancing
    technology is why if you don't..
    And SP2 is a big improvement.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > > basicly i refer you back to "if it works, why upgrade?"
    >
    > Sooner or later, you become obsolete.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    It dose take a long time for a OS to become obsolete, for example you
    can (if you want) play Grand Theft Auto 3 or vice city on windows 98.
    And as i said most companys still use windows 2000 with win 2k
    servers, this is probably due to cost benifit analysys showing that
    the cost vastly out wighs the benifit. From microsofts point of view
    windows 2000 went obsolete a few months ago (they officaly stoped
    providing support) how ever i can safly say it will be a year or 2
    after long horns release that win 2003 domain (with ither xp or long
    horn clints) will out wight win 2000, as such software vendors will be
    obliged to make there software compatible with as many versions of
    windows as posible (probably from 2000 up). But thats the point any
    way, you only upgade when it no longer works, which as i have said
    will be several years from now.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-worthless-activation-ftopict396721.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1314052
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > On 19 Jul 2005 20:35:36 -0400, Sparda
    > <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"" wrote:
    > > > "Guy" is full of beans....
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Carey Frisch
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > > >
    > > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > > > Technologies:
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > > > -----------------------------

    > > > know how...
    > >
    > >Hello, I havent been keeping track, but i use reset5.02 to
    > disable the
    > >activation, this dose only work upto service pack1, but i
    > don’t
    > >intend on upgrading to SP2, if it works, then why upgrade,
    > lots of
    > >compnays (infect the majority) still use windows 2000 with
    > win 2k
    > >servers, whats the point upgrading if it alredy works. Plus
    > from past
    > >experiance i have discovered that upgrading from one SP to
    > another
    > >causes general instability and anoyance, alot of the updates
    > that MS
    > >provide (including SP2) just have a feel good factor "I have
    > all
    > >updates... My PC must be secure". Obviusly this is not so,
    > and as such
    > >i am behind a hardware firewall and ontop of that run a
    > personal
    > >firewall (ZA Pro to be exact) along side spybot S & D and
    > AntiVir
    > >(compleat with automated internal update server), basicly i
    > refer you
    > >back to "if it works, why upgrade?"
    >
    > Why upgrade from win 3.01 ? Because you'll get trampled in the
    > advancing
    > technology is why if you don't..
    > And SP2 is a big improvement.
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

    Service Pack 2 is a big improvment on Win 3.01? I dare say it is, but
    there igo agian been pedantic. Obviusly win 3.01 can be said not to
    work becasue it wouldnt not do what i requier, which is play DirecX 9
    games. You may now wonder why I use XP over 98 or even XP over 2000,
    well, im not sure why i use xp over 2000, there is no reason why i
    should (guess this gose back to most companys using win 2000) I could
    do every thing I wanted to do on windows 2000, the reasons for xp over
    98 are fairly obviuse, 1. More stable 2. NTFS support 3. Back ground
    services act more like deamons 4. Some recent games (such as san
    andras) wont work on 98. What do you mean service pack instalments go
    smoothly? of course they apar to install smoothly, untill you
    disccover your printer prints all letters as question marks and
    windows thinks you have DirecX 7 installed.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-worthless-activation-ftopict396721.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1314704
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Sparda wrote:
    > It dose take a long time for a OS to become obsolete, for example you
    > can (if you want) play Grand Theft Auto 3 or vice city on windows 98.
    > And as i said most companys still use windows 2000 with win 2k
    > servers, this is probably due to cost benifit analysys showing that
    > the cost vastly out wighs the benifit. From microsofts point of view
    > windows 2000 went obsolete a few months ago (they officaly stoped
    > providing support) how ever i can safly say it will be a year or 2
    > after long horns release that win 2003 domain (with ither xp or long
    > horn clints) will out wight win 2000, as such software vendors will be
    > obliged to make there software compatible with as many versions of
    > windows as posible (probably from 2000 up). But thats the point any
    > way, you only upgade when it no longer works, which as i have said
    > will be several years from now.

    As I said.. "Sooner or later.."

    I know of places with NT 4.0 servers and Windows 98 workstations - not
    usually by choice, but by financial limitation (not enough money for the
    hardware upgrade, not enough money for the necessary software
    upgrade/modification.)

    In technology, life of an OS seems to be about 10-15 years ... tops. After
    that, you "have to upgrade". However, usually - those who only upgrade at
    that point don't have to upgrade anymore - as their services have also
    lapsed into obsolescence.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Carey has forgotten more about Activation than you ever knew about Windows.
    Most of the items you talk about having replaced have nothing to do with
    activation. Go to the Microsoft.com website and search on "XP Activation."
    How activation works is mostly public information which you can read at your
    leisure.

    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:35:00 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>There is no limit to the number of times you can activate
    >>Windows XP installed on the same computer. If you are
    >>unable to activate via the internet, then select the alternative
    >>option to "activate by phone".
    >>
    >>How to activate Windows XP
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890
    >
    > If you haven't upgraded your machine often enough, or re-installed the OS
    > for
    > whatever reason, and activated the MS liar software a minimum of 25 times,
    > you
    > don't know what you're talking about.
    >
    > The software that calls you liar and thief starts every time you run the
    > machine.
    >
    > I replaced wheel mice maybe 5-6 times. each one triggering something in
    > the
    > liar monitor. I didn't bother to track it because activation took less
    > than a
    > minute. Now every time something blows up and the liar software tells you
    > reactivate, it's going to be a minimum of one hour listening to a machine
    > that
    > can't help you, then handed off to someone where your language is a 2nd
    > language to them assuming they can read the numbers correctly the 1st few
    > times.
    > I guess they assumed the numbers they threw out could be argued as your
    > fault,
    > assuming you hadn't written them down as they were said.
    >
    > From now on every time this machine gets the urge, it's back to the same
    > endless garbage on EVERY activation until I do switch to a BETTER OS..
    > Where
    > are you Amiga ??????????
    >
    > --
    > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html