Is this a normal sequence to get onto XP

I have a new computer WINXP Home
My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a black
screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count down or choose
Windows XP
Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
Is this a normal sequence of events?
My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
Then to the User icons.
Thanks in advance
11 answers Last reply
More about normal sequence

    Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
    Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
    to delete incorrect boot paths.

    If the above does not work for you, then:

    Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:

    Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit

    CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file.
    Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I have a new computer WINXP Home
    > My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a
    > black screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count
    > down or choose Windows XP
    > Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    > Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    > Is this a normal sequence of events?
    > My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    > Then to the User icons.
    > Thanks in advance

    You don't have to wait for the countdown. Just press <Enter>.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Yes, I know I can hit enter, but I would like to know why it starts up like
    this and my son's doesn't.
    Thanks
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> I have a new computer WINXP Home
    >> My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a
    >> black screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count
    >> down or choose Windows XP
    >> Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    >> Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    >> Is this a normal sequence of events?
    >> My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    >> Then to the User icons.
    >> Thanks in advance
    >
    > You don't have to wait for the countdown. Just press <Enter>.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Try this. Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and
    Recovery section->click Settings button.
    Uncheck the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems."

    Click the Ok button out of there. Reboot and see if that fixed the problem.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca\windowsxp

    Sharon wrote:
    > Yes, I know I can hit enter, but I would like to know why it starts up like
    > this and my son's doesn't.
    > Thanks
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a new computer WINXP Home
    >>>My question is when I turn it on (power button) it starts up with a
    >>>black screen and some words. I have to either wait for it to count
    >>>down or choose Windows XP
    >>>Then it goes to the Windows splash screen (loading windows)
    >>>Then it goes to the desktop where I would choose my User icon.
    >>>Is this a normal sequence of events?
    >>>My sons WinXp Home goes straight to the splash screen.
    >>>Then to the User icons.
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>You don't have to wait for the countdown. Just press <Enter>.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >>http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >>Protect your PC
    >>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
    way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old programs.
    When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not get it to boot
    up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to take it back to the
    store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to factory settings. When
    I got it back home and turned it on it did not go thru the same Windows
    setup that it did the first time I had it. do you think that the tech guy
    changed something? And what should I do?
    Thanks for all your help.

    > Try this. Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and Recovery
    > section->click Settings button.
    > Uncheck the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems."
    >
    > Click the Ok button out of there. Reboot and see if that fixed the
    > problem.
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca\windowsxp
    >

    > Sharon wrote:
    >> Yes, I know I can hit enter, but I would like to know why it starts up
    >> like this and my son's doesn't.
    >> Thanks
    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    >>>You don't have to wait for the countdown. Just press <Enter>.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >>>Protect your PC
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>>http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    Sharon have you tried any of the fixes suggested yet? Post back after you
    do. If you continue to have trouble contact the "tech guy" and his
    supervisor and ask them to fix the problem that he created.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    >I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
    >way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old
    >programs. When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not get
    >it to boot up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to take it
    >back to the store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to factory
    >settings. When I got it back home and turned it on it did not go thru the
    >same Windows setup that it did the first time I had it. do you think that
    >the tech guy changed something? And what should I do?
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> Try this. Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and Recovery
    >> section->click Settings button.
    >> Uncheck the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems."
    >>
    >> Click the Ok button out of there. Reboot and see if that fixed the
    >> problem.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca\windowsxp
    >>

    >> Sharon wrote:
    >>> Yes, I know I can hit enter, but I would like to know why it starts up
    >>> like this and my son's doesn't.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

    If you would have listed the make and model, someone could have told you how
    to obtain the setup discs which may be in a hidden directory or folder on
    your PC or in a 2nd partition on your hard drive.

    Some vendors allow you to hit F10 to create software / install CDs or DVDs.

    You may want to test by looking through your programs for something similar
    to;
    PC Help & Tools
    Recovery CD Creator

    You will find much more info at:
    http://support.microsoft.com
    =======================================
    "Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."

    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in New Orleans

    http://military.accaw.org/adams/

    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================
    "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
    >way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old
    >programs. When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not get
    >it to boot up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to take it
    >back to the store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to factory
    >settings. When I got it back home and turned it on it did not go thru the
    >same Windows setup that it did the first time I had it. do you think that
    >the tech guy changed something? And what should I do?
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> Try this. Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and Recovery
    >> section->click Settings button.
    >> Uncheck the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems."
    >>
    >> Click the Ok button out of there. Reboot and see if that fixed the
    >> problem.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca\windowsxp
    >>

    >> Sharon wrote:
    >>> Yes, I know I can hit enter, but I would like to know why it starts up
    >>> like this and my son's doesn't.
    >>> Thanks
    >>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

    HP Pavillion A1030N

    My choices on the screen are
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

    <CTLouisiana@msn.com> wrote in message
    > If you would have listed the make and model, someone could have told you
    > how to obtain the setup discs which may be in a hidden directory or folder
    > on your PC or in a 2nd partition on your hard drive.
    >
    > Some vendors allow you to hit F10 to create software / install CDs or
    > DVDs.
    >
    > You may want to test by looking through your programs for something
    > similar to;
    > PC Help & Tools
    > Recovery CD Creator
    >
    > You will find much more info at:
    > http://support.microsoft.com
    > =======================================
    > "Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."
    >
    > Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in New Orleans
    >
    > http://military.accaw.org/adams/
    >
    > ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    > =======================================
    > "Sharon" <gwen6039@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>I forgot to mention when I bought the computer, it did not start up this
    >>way. I was transferring all my documents and installing all my old
    >>programs. When I went to install EZ CD Creator it crashed. I could not
    >>get it to boot up anymore. It did not come with any cd's. so I had to
    >>take it back to the store. The tech guy said he had to reformat back to
    >>factory settings. When I got it back home and turned it on it did not go
    >>thru the same Windows setup that it did the first time I had it. do you
    >>think that the tech guy changed something? And what should I do?
    >> Thanks for all your help.
    >>
    >> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Try this. Go to Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and
    >>> Recovery section->click Settings button.
    >>> Uncheck the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems."
    >>>
    >>> Click the Ok button out of there. Reboot and see if that fixed the
    >>> problem.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell/User]
    >>> www.webtree.ca\windowsxp

    How to remove Windows Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555032

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sharon" wrote:

    | HP Pavillion A1030N
    |
    | My choices on the screen are
    | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and
    | Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

    Sharon I don't get it. Why don't you just follow either my or Carey's
    earlier suggestions?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:42:05 -0500, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > Go to Start > Run and type: MSCONFIG , and hit enter.
    > Click on the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "Check All Boot Paths"
    > to delete incorrect boot paths.
    >
    > If the above does not work for you, then:
    >
    > Right-click MY COMPUTER and select:
    >
    > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit
    >
    > CAREFULLY edit your boot.ini file.
    > Your boot.ini file should then look similar to this:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

    this is what I have:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    Should I edit this? I have no idea what an rdisk is and I don't know
    what noexecute=optin means.

    TIA

Splash Screen Windows XP