Is my diagnosis correct?

July 17, 2005 1:42:01 PM

I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from the
C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer started -
form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
anything to the autoruns at all.

Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything done.

I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the detail.
When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was defraggged
just afew weeks ago.

I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any second
opinions.

Roger

More about : diagnosis correct

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:42:02 PM

Backup your data now! I lost a hard drive, with 3 years worth of data, to
just such a disk failure.

"Roger Neilson" wrote:

> I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from the
> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer started -
> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
> anything to the autoruns at all.
>
> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything done.
>
> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the detail.
> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was defraggged
> just afew weeks ago.
>
> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any second
> opinions.
>
> Roger

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:51:24 PM

Hi Roger

Try defragging the C drive again - I normally do it once a week. Also try
Disk Cleanup.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Roger Neilson" <didactylos@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from
>the C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last
>few days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer
>started - form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not
>added anything to the autoruns at all.
>
> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything
> done.
>
> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the
> detail. When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure,
> when i reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was
> defraggged just afew weeks ago.
>
> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any
> second opinions.
>
> Roger
July 17, 2005 11:31:08 PM

I think you are probably right. A marginal sector, that can be read after several retries, in a system area (so it keeps needing to be read to read anything else).

Your event log should be telling you the drive is about to fail.

"Roger Neilson" <didactylos@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:42da19d3$0$27227$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
>I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from the
> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer started -
> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
> anything to the autoruns at all.
>
> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything done.
>
> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the detail.
> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was defraggged
> just afew weeks ago.
>
> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any second
> opinions.
>
> Roger

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:31:09 PM

Where do I find the event log?

Thanks

Roger
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I think you are probably right. A marginal sector, that can be read after
several retries, in a system area (so it keeps needing to be read to read
anything else).

Your event log should be telling you the drive is about to fail.

"Roger Neilson" <didactylos@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from
>the
> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer
> started -
> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
> anything to the autoruns at all.
>
> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything
> done.
>
> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the
> detail.
> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was defraggged
> just afew weeks ago.
>
> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any
> second
> opinions.
>
> Roger

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:31:10 PM

Start/run eventvwr.msc

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Where do I find the event log?
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> I think you are probably right. A marginal sector, that can be read after
> several retries, in a system area (so it keeps needing to be read to read
> anything else).
>
> Your event log should be telling you the drive is about to fail.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Roger Neilson" <didactylos@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from
>>the
>> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
>> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer
>> started -
>> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
>> anything to the autoruns at all.
>>
>> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but
>> if
>> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
>> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything
>> done.
>>
>> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
>> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the
>> detail.
>> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
>> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was
>> defraggged
>> just afew weeks ago.
>>
>> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any
>> second
>> opinions.
>>
>> Roger

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:31:10 PM

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Clcik OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42da4784$0$2892$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net,
rogerneilson <didactylos@bigfoot.com> hunted and pecked:
> Where do I find the event log?
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> I think you are probably right. A marginal sector, that can be read after
> several retries, in a system area (so it keeps needing to be read to read
> anything else).
>
> Your event log should be telling you the drive is about to fail.

------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Roger Neilson" <didactylos@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from
>> the
>> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
>> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer
>> started -
>> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
>> anything to the autoruns at all.
>>
>> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but
>> if they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is
>> fragmented and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get
>> anything done.
>>
>> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
>> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the
>> detail.
>> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
>> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was
>> defraggged just afew weeks ago.
>>
>> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any
>> second
>> opinions.
>>
>> Roger
July 18, 2005 12:29:53 AM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:37:14 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Start/run eventvwr.msc

How do we interpret this information? I seem to have errors since the
day I got this computer, but it's working fine IMO.
July 18, 2005 2:16:05 PM

Roger Neilson wrote:

> I have a 2 hard disc system, Windows XP pro and most programmes run from the
> C Drive. A few, plus all my data run from the F drive. Over the last few
> days I have encountered a massive slowdown in getting the computer started -
> form certainly less than 5 minutes to over 20 minutes. I have not added
> anything to the autoruns at all.
>
> Programmes and data (eg music) run fine if they are on the F drive, but if
> they are on the C drive they run incredibly slowly so music is fragmented
> and at times its like trying to wade through treacle to get anything done.
>
> I have been getting crashes of the PC with a message about a kernel
> problem... but haven't yet copied all the data from that to get the detail.
> When it crashes the next boot reports a disc boot system failure, when i
> reboot ahgain it loads up but painfully slowly. The C drive was defraggged
> just afew weeks ago.
>
> I'm thinking the drive is about to pack up.... but would welcome any second
> opinions.
>
> Roger

How much free space do you have on c: ?

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:33:00 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

Event Viewer overview

Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:tf8md1tal6b1fm3itpv3ep1jqn15kt824d@4ax.com,
sf <sf@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:37:14 -0400, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Start/run eventvwr.msc
>
> How do we interpret this information? I seem to have errors since the
> day I got this computer, but it's working fine IMO.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:37:48 PM

An error isn't an error. Try to connect to a web page without an internet connection that is an error but not really.

!