Glitchy 'CD Skipping' sound, think its Mobo

undertakr

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
When i have a media file open with sound playing, and the computer loads (CPU operations), the media file does a nice little HIGH PITCHED skipping sound effect that makes me want to rip my headphones off.

It's not my headphones, it happened to multiple devices.
It's not my sound card, i removed my soundcard and used on-board audio (with newest drivers) to no avail. (Problem existed w/ and w/o sound card).
I downloaded newest directx, no help (using winxp pro).
It MIGHT be my motherboard... but i know next to nothing about how to fix that. I'm using a gigabyte k7 triton series ... uh, GA-7N400.
It's not the program: skipping happens in WMP, winamp, various divx players with movies playing (the sound skips in movies).
It also happens with the startup sound on my computer: as the computer starts up, and it's loading, the startup sound skips and glitches.

For some reason, Half life, BF 1942, UT2003 and the rest of the games i play seem to be devoid of this problem. I havent heard it come from any audio i hear out of any game, only media files/media programs.
It's not the files, because after a skip I will backtrack to the same place and it WONT skip. It only happens every so often, almost always when something is loading, when i'm surfing a graphics intensive website, or when something of some random sort is loading in the background.

(if this means anything, i have a 200 gig WD hard drive hooked up to a ATA card to handle my big partition, my Mobo wouldn't recognize it otherwise...?)

anyone know what this is?
I'm pissed cause it hurts my ears randomly, and i'm probably going to reformat everything and start over to solve the problem... but that probably wont solve it because this is a brand new computer that i built, and it had this problem pretty much immidiately after winxp installation.

---
I'm going to post this in one other section i think, but this was the closest forum i could find for the problem.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Try reinstalling your audio codecs.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

undertakr

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
how would i go about doing that?
i'm trying to install the audio codecs device but it won't let me. I already have it installed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by undertakr on 08/18/03 03:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Try reinstalling your audio codecs.

oh THATS helpful. sheesh

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new"> I highly recommend you DONT click my signature. Dont say I didnt warn you!1!! </A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I don't know, but perhaps it does have something to do with your ATA controller... your poor old PCI bus is having to cope with all the traffic to/from your HDD as well as your Sound card, and perhaps it just can't cope too well.

Have you got DMA enabled for your HDD? That would help loads.

That's a nice shiny new Nforce2 mobo, so I can't see why you'd have any problems at all connecting your HDD straight to the IDE controller on the mobo. What problem do you get?

You could try the ol' re-format/re-install thing - it might help, especially if you've previously upgraded your mobo/sound card and just installed new drivers on top of the old ones.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

endyen

Splendid
I suspect that xp discovered you have the nforce apu, and decided to load the glitchy old drivers. You can get new drivers and try to install them. I will guarantee that xp will try to hinder you. Check with M$ to see if they have an update for you, then try to convince your copy of xp that the updates are signed. By the way, what kind of add on sound card do you have that you would forgo the onboard sound.