How did it hook up to the internet?

July 17, 2005 9:11:27 PM

I recently reinstalled win xp. It is an upgrade from a win 98se installation
(custom, just enough components to boot, so the xp upgrade would install as
the xp disk wouldn't work from a dos start up disk.) All this was installed
on a rerpartitioned, formated hard disk.
When xp finished installing, I opened a browser window and to my suprise was
already hooked up to the internet.
HOw does this happen? Did xp somehow figure out how to hook up to my dsl
account with sbc without knowing my username and password? I am hooked up
with a Speedstream 5100 ethernet adsl modem.

More about : hook internet

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:11:28 PM

Windows XP can identify your network very well and you do not normally need
a password for DSL.
You will however need your password to access your Email.
It is usually best to avoid the CD from your ISP since there are often
unnecessary programs/spyware included.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Primal Oooze" <primeooze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently reinstalled win xp. It is an upgrade from a win 98se
>installation
> (custom, just enough components to boot, so the xp upgrade would install
> as
> the xp disk wouldn't work from a dos start up disk.) All this was
> installed
> on a rerpartitioned, formated hard disk.
> When xp finished installing, I opened a browser window and to my suprise
> was
> already hooked up to the internet.
> HOw does this happen? Did xp somehow figure out how to hook up to my dsl
> account with sbc without knowing my username and password? I am hooked up
> with a Speedstream 5100 ethernet adsl modem.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:00:23 PM

"Primal Oooze" <primeooze@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently reinstalled win xp. It is an upgrade from a win 98se
>installation
> (custom, just enough components to boot, so the xp upgrade would install
> as
> the xp disk wouldn't work from a dos start up disk.) All this was
> installed
> on a rerpartitioned, formated hard disk.
> When xp finished installing, I opened a browser window and to my suprise
> was
> already hooked up to the internet.
> HOw does this happen? Did xp somehow figure out how to hook up to my dsl
> account with sbc without knowing my username and password? I am hooked up
> with a Speedstream 5100 ethernet adsl modem.

Your account info may be stored on the modem itself, rather than on the
computer. You may still need to log in to your mail or any special websites,
though.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:07:51 PM

> Windows XP can identify your network very well and you do not normally
need
> a password for DSL.
> You will however need your password to access your Email.
> It is usually best to avoid the CD from your ISP since there are often
> unnecessary programs/spyware included.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

Thanks. I didn't want to use the installation disk because it's full of
adware that I had to manually remove the last time I used it. I was also
worried that I might be auto hooked up to some pay by the minute plan that
would cost me thousands of dollars at the end of the month.
!