crooper

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
I'm thinking about upgrading the motherboard in my old Micron computer (440BX PII 450) to an Athlon XP. Since I don't have a whole lot of cash on hand, I plan to buy an inexpensive CPU (2200-2500+), 333 mhz RAM, and a good motherboard that will allow upgrade to a better CPU later. I've been leaning toward the nForce2 400 Ultra for its 400 mhz FSB. SATA, RAID, gigabit ethernet, and good audio isn't important (I already have a Santa Cruz). I DO want Firewire, USB 2.0, 4+ USB ports, and maximum CPU compatibility. It needs to be an ATX. Something in the range of $70-90 would be great.

Also, is there a good online resource that describes the relationship between FSB speed, RAM speed, and CPU speed?

Thanks!

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Can you do me a big favor?

Open your case and look between your agp and first pci slot...

Do you see the writing... "6ABX2V"

If so i would be interested in taking that mobo off your hands :smile:

i would recomend in that price range the 8rda seems to have everything you need and nothing you don't...it is a great board and great overclocker and right in your price range...

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

crooper

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
I'll have to check that later when I'm at home. What's the significance of that code?

Is the only limitation of having a 333 mhz FSB that I couldn't run the 3200+ cpu?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it is the motherboard model number...

I had one of those mobos in the past...and it was a good overclocker...i heard that micron used that mobo in PII systems they made...the mobo is worth nearly nothing though but i cannot find it anywhere...it basically has no significance to you...although if you are gonna trash it...i would rather you send it to me (willing to pay shipping)

if you must know the value of the mobo...google...

Lucky star 6abx3v

crooper

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
Actually I believe it's an Intel SE440BX2 -- the original was just a BX but it fried, and they replaced it with the BX2 for free.

Would I notice much difference between using a 2000+ 266 fsb CPU and a 2500+ 333 Barton? I'm thinking about getting a slower cpu to cut costs.

Also, how big of a power supply should I have? I have 2 hard drives (UDMA 33), IDE CD-ROM, SCSI CDRW, and floppy, and plan to keep my Geforce2 GTS card for a while. I'm hoping to use my existing case and power supply (it's either a 300 or 350 watt).

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
the 2000+ should overclock fairly easily to 333mhz fsb...

However the performance diffrence will not be great...but i would still recomend the barton over the tbred...

i would recomend a 350 watt fortron powersupply...they are great psu's with amazing quality (and price)!

crooper

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
Hey PIII_Man I looked at my bx motherboard and its serial is:
BLS201100045 A01269-303. Doesn't sound like the one you're looking for, unfortunately.

My power supply is only a 250W so yeah I guess I need to upgrade. How quiet is the 350W Fortron? Any recommendations for a new case fan? Mine's pretty old (and noisy). Pretty lights are not my thing, so no led recomendations please.

I think I've pretty much decided on an Epox 8RDA+, 1700+, 256 PC3200 RAM (for now, will add another later), and Fortron 350W PS -- only about $215 on New Egg. Not bad, methinks.

RCPilot

Champion
Good move looking for a new case if you need a new PSU. I recommend the case I'm running as a top value. The <A HREF="http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=91082" target="_new">Antec 1080 AMG </A> is awful hard to beat with the True Power 430 & included case fans. Quietest case I've ran.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

crooper

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2003
Why is a new case important when getting a new PSU?

The case you reccomend is kind of big for what I need. I just need space for 2 hard drives and 2 CDROMs, and possibly a front panel for firewire/usb. I can get those aftermarket, right? To fit in a 3 1/2" bay?

RCPilot

Champion
Well I just feel for the price of a good PSU The case is almost free. At newegg the 430 w True Power is $80. The case is $117. The case ends up being $37. Pretty cheap for that quality case if you asked me. So I feel its a good deal to buy a case like that instead of a PSU & then a case.

Yea it's a good sized case. But the cooling you get with it & the quietness of the Smart Fans on the True Power PSU, you can't beat in my opinion. I run a 2500 at 2800 speeds with my temps never over 42c under load with this case on air & stock cooling.

I've went the other route as well. Getting a PSU, then deciding I needed a better case & it's cost $$$ then.

That's why I offered the case I did. There sure are others available out there. For me I've got a case & PSU that will last through several systems. I've already had 3 different systems in my case as it is. That's what I think about it also.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
the new case is not necissary...if you like your current case it should be fine...a fortron PSU around 350 or more watts should run around than 50 bux...

RCPilot

Champion
I wouldn't disagree. I gave my opinion. That's all I can do. You gave yours.

He can decide for himself, I'd imagine.