Problem with CPU Speed and ASUS PP-DLW

QuantumPhysics

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
Hey,

I recently setup a server with a Dual 2.8 Xeon and an ASUS PP-DLW. The BIOS is the latest version, and everything seems to operate normally (installing OS's, etc). However, in the BIOS and in the operating system the CPU Frequency shows up at 1066. Obviously, this is incorrect since they are dual 2.8's. I turned off HyperThreading, and it still reported the same thing. The jumpers are set to 533 FSB. Does anyone know what the problem could be? The system has 2GB of Crucial ECC DDR pc 2100 memory.

Best wishes,
Shawn Mueller

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya Shawn;

I spent some time looking up the details on your motherboard, very nice mobo btw.

As i was researching the details, i noticed that this board is capable of running in Dual Channel DDR mode, do you have it enabled by chance.

As far as the Bios reporting the Core Frequency as 1066, i'm afraid i dont really have a experiance based asnwer as i have never worked with the E7505 chipset, however i am running the E7205 Chipset in one of my system rigs, and i can tell you that i have not experianced a misreporting of the CPU frequency.

I would suggest you call Asus and talk with one of their techs about this, they would be able to tell you wether this is normal or not.
Even though it appears to not be normal you never know, since you are running it in a SMP Dual Processor configuration the BIOS may report the core frequency differently then it would in a Single processor configuration.

If the BIOS has a field that allows you to set your Core frequency and CPU external Frequency Manually, this would be helpfull in troubleshooting the problem, if it is not showing as 2800Mhz and 133Mhz by defualt then there could possibly be a problem with the BIOS correctly identitifying the CPU.

If you have the field options try setting the CPU to manual and setting the frequency at 2800Mhz, along with manually setting the CPU external frequency to 133Mhz.

Hopefully this will clear up the problem.

<font color=blue> <b> <Capt Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a warp 5 engine.
<Trip> Yeah, on paper! </b> </font color=blue>