Sign in with
Your question

Is the RAID on the P4C800-E Deluxe any good?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2003 1:10:37 AM

Hi there,

I am currently running a GigaByte 8IHXP V2.1 and I am having a lot of performance issues with the RAID on this board.

I am looking at replacing it the P4C800-E Deluxe from Asus.

I have two 160Gb WD 8Mb cache hard drives that will be used on the raid. the primary use will be video capture from a Digital CamCorder and firewire card.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
August 19, 2003 7:44:08 AM

I have the P4P800dx. The VIA raid performs very well. Better than my old Promice set up. The P4C looks like it has a different solution though. Unless you really want the gigabit lan on the north bridge. Save some money and get the P4P

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2
August 19, 2003 8:36:26 PM

I am more concerned about the PCI bridge on these boards. The Intel 850 chip on the GigaByte can't handle the RAID and Firewire at the same time... and too many frames are dropped...

So, I am really interested in know which of the Intel chipsets has the best performing PCI north\south bridge ( can never remember which one is in play ).. and who makes the best board with that chipset.
August 19, 2003 8:36:27 PM

I am more concerned about the PCI bridge on these boards. The Intel 850 chip on the GigaByte can't handle the RAID and Firewire at the same time... and too many frames are dropped...

So, I am really interested in know which of the Intel chipsets has the best performing PCI north\south bridge ( can never remember which one is in play ).. and who makes the best board with that chipset.
!