Opinions: Mobo Manufacturer Quality

skubik

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
I'm curious as to what peoples opinions or experiences are in terms of quality of motherboards, primarily in terms of stability from one manufacturer to another. I've been running an old Asus P5A (Socket 7) for almost 4 years now and have NEVER had any problems with it, it's been rock-solid since Day 1, and wonder whether other boards by other manufacturers to meet this expectation. I'm specifically curious about Gigabyte Vs. MSI.

- skubik.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya skubik;

As you probably realize there is going to be a difference between brands as far as quality goes.

Asus has always been a high quality board manufacturer, wether it be motherboards or graphics cards.

Individule people have their prefrences, as it comes down to personal experiance between, what brands you have and havent tried, and the success with that specific product.

Both Gigabyte and MSI are good offerings, as well as some others like Abit, and A-Open.

My best advice is, If Asus has worked well for you in the past then stick with it.

<font color=blue> <b> <Capt Archer> Can't this thing go any faster i thought this was a Warp 5 Engine!
<Trip> Yeah, on paper! </b> </font color=blue>

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Gigabyte has had a few problems in the past, mostly due to the VIA chipset, if I remember correctly. Still, the always seemes to run hotter than other boards I've used. I've always been partial to MSI and Abit.
-Brett

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus did make some garbage, such as the P4S8X, which had a poorly designed memory bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I've owned Gigabyte, MSI and ABIT mobos.

My Gigabyte GA-5AA was stable, at least for Ali Aladin V chipset standard. Died after 2 years

My MSI K7N420 Pro was rock stable, but it died after 1¼ years.

Now I'm using an ABIT NF7 since last 1 month. It's rock stable like my MSI K7N420 Pro and overclocking friendly.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
I have only ever used asus and have never had a problem. I have a P2L-97, Cusl2-c, and a P4pe-bp..... all still currently running flawlessly. Others may have had different experiences, but for me they are #1

phil_scnu

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
i have the experiences of using Abit VA6(Via693A), Epox BX II, MSI 6199BX, and some 845D platforms. The Abit Va6 & Epox BX2 has been to the heaven....Va6 for 2 years, BX2 for 3 years. Both of them make me disappointed~

My MSI 6199BX's still running pretty well

I am planning to purchase an Asus or Gigabyte mobo~

A78VX-Lan(KT400) & 845GE800 are not bad candidates in my opinion~

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phil_scnu on 08/21/03 03:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>