radeon 9800 pro & 4x AGP

klinger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Hi all,
I need a new VGA card to play an online multiplayer (EVE-online) as my current Radeon 7500 32mb just can't do it anymore. Every 20min or so the vga overheats and crashes my system. Plus in game i have stripes and very low details. So i thought of buying top of the line Radeon 9800 pro. But i have a Asus P4T-E motherboard that supports 4x AGP. I've read that some 8x AGP cards will function on 4x AGP and some don't. Is there anyone who maybe can tell me from experience or sheer knowledge if i can get the Radeon 9800 pro to work on my mobo or not? If not, maybe a suggestion of a good card that's still available in shops and would do the job right?
cheers!

Klinger

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Klinger;

I have not heard of any 8x AGP cards that will not function on a 4x AGP bus, the only thing that would prevent you from using an AGP 3.0 standard card on a 4x bus is if the AGP 3.0 card was pure at 0.89v and would not run on 1.5v signalling, but that is rare.
You shouldnt have any trouble with the standard refrence design ATI Radeon 9800 Pro as it will run on AGP 2.0, and AGP 3.0 standard.

Here is a Chart to help you refrence the different generation AGP Standards.

AGP 1.0 - 3.3v
AGP 2.0 - 1.5v & *3.3v
AGP 3.0 - 0.89v & *1.5v

(*) The asteric represents graphics card compatability with previous AGP Standards.

*NOTE*
Some graphics cards are backwards compatable to the first generation AGP standard.

<font color=blue> <b> <Capt Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 Engine. <Trip> Yeah on paper! </b> </font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800 will work fine in your board, and it will perform just as well as if it had 8x, but at 4x.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>