Windows Xp Home running very slow - high CPU usage

Windows runs very slow. In task manager CPU usage is 100%. I have 3 entries
for "KillWindow2" each using about 33%. What does Kill Window process do and
can I safely end the processes to free up CPU? Please advise.
--
Ian W
5 answers Last reply

    You may want to go here and and download and run Hijackthis
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/respagecx-Z-A-date-22-5.html
    Then go here for the How To Use Tutorial
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Tutorial_How_to_use_HijackThis_to_remove_Browser_Hijackers__and__Spyware-tut42.html
    then post your saved scan here
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-f22.html
    There may be other issues at large on your system
    --
    Don Kendrick

    "Ian" wrote:

    > Windows runs very slow. In task manager CPU usage is 100%. I have 3 entries
    > for "KillWindow2" each using about 33%. What does Kill Window process do and
    > can I safely end the processes to free up CPU? Please advise.
    > --
    > Ian W

    Many thanks for the advice - I shall try your recommendations.
    --
    Ian W

    "Unrepper" wrote:

    > You may want to go here and and download and run Hijackthis
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/respagecx-Z-A-date-22-5.html
    > Then go here for the How To Use Tutorial
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Tutorial_How_to_use_HijackThis_to_remove_Browser_Hijackers__and__Spyware-tut42.html
    > then post your saved scan here
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/HijackThis_Logs_and_Analysis-f22.html
    > There may be other issues at large on your system
    > --
    > Don Kendrick
    >

    > "Ian" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows runs very slow. In task manager CPU usage is 100%. I have 3 entries
    > > for "KillWindow2" each using about 33%. What does Kill Window process do and
    > > can I safely end the processes to free up CPU? Please advise.
    > > --
    > > Ian W

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ian" wrote:

    | Windows runs very slow. In task manager CPU usage is 100%. I have 3 entries
    | for "KillWindow2" each using about 33%. What does Kill Window process do and
    | can I safely end the processes to free up CPU? Please advise.
    | --
    | Ian W

    Thank you very much for the advice - I shall try your recommendations
    --
    Ian W

    Ian <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Windows runs very slow. In task manager CPU usage is 100%. I have 3 entries
    >for "KillWindow2" each using about 33%. What does Kill Window process do and
    >can I safely end the processes to free up CPU? Please advise.

    Start with MVP Jim Eshelman's general Spyware page at
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm and follow the various suggestions
    for detecting and cleaning up spyware from your computer, and for
    preventing further infestations.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --