I purchased one on ebay to have as a backup phone in case one of ours is
lost broken etc. The guy I bought it from who has a perfect record on ebay,
swears that he used it on VZ in Idaho. However here in TX, it will not
leave analog roam. I talked to VZ tech support and they walked me thru a
manual programming and said I needed to take it into a store to get a proper
PRL loaded. AT that point I could make outgong analog calls but not receive
calls. When I went to the store, the tech said he didn't have the software
for the phone. They called their tech support and were told that the phone
is no longer compatible with the VZ network since the "upgrades". The
phone only cost $8.00 so it's not a great loss but I'm curious why it worked
in Idaho and will not work in Texas.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

rod

That phone won't work here in Texas. It is an 800 analog/digital phone. We
in Texas are running on the old 1900 digital Primeco system. It might work
in Houston on the old 800 GTE system though.

"Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote in message
> I purchased one on ebay to have as a backup phone in case one of ours is
> lost broken etc. The guy I bought it from who has a perfect record on
ebay,
> swears that he used it on VZ in Idaho. However here in TX, it will not
> leave analog roam. I talked to VZ tech support and they walked me thru a
> manual programming and said I needed to take it into a store to get a
proper
> PRL loaded. AT that point I could make outgong analog calls but not
receive
> calls. When I went to the store, the tech said he didn't have the
software
> for the phone. They called their tech support and were told that the
phone
> is no longer compatible with the VZ network since the "upgrades". The
> phone only cost $8.00 so it's not a great loss but I'm curious why it
worked
> in Idaho and will not work in Texas.
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

He fed it potatoes, you're probably giving it beef-- the phone is probably a
vegetarian;-)

Dan'l.

Hi, Ron,

I'm not sure if this is the case, but it may be that the digital service in
your area is covered by a different frequency than in Idaho.

I know that Verizon will not let you activate a dual-mode phone on a
National plan, even if you accept the fact that you won't be able to access
Verizon in all areas.

For example, in Los Angeles, digital is 800MHz. I know that there are
other markets that are 1900MHz.

_Perhaps_ this is why.

Carlin