MCS7004VWBR Drops LAN

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 17, 2004 12:21:15 AM

I know this isn't the most reliable WiFi unit but I've gotten along OK for
the past 18 months or so using a metal stand as a heat sink.

Once in a while [today!] however I drop my wired LAN connection even though
the WiFi connection is working OK.

Rebooting the PC on the LAN doesn't help. The only way to restore service is
to turn off the router and reboot.

So I'm assuming this is a router as opposed to WindowsXP or ISP problem.

This is inconvenient, to say the least.

Any idea how to fix or a better way to work around?

Thank you.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

More about : mcs7004vwbr drops lan

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 12:30:12 AM

Excuse my dyslexia. Router is SMC!

Thanks for any advice.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

John Keiser <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote:
> I know this isn't the most reliable WiFi unit but I've gotten along OK for
> the past 18 months or so using a metal stand as a heat sink.

It's been so long since anyone posted about the SMC7004 series...
The last thread that I remember was that they were very heat sensitive.
Mine is positioned up high for better RF coverage, and it is pretty well
exposed to clear air flow. I reset it on Monday, 'cause it was kind of
slow, but other than that it's been a long time.

Some folks talked about bonding the base to a cookie sheet for better heat
dissipation.

--
---
September 17, 2004 1:44:33 AM

Yep! I'm using a metal plate and the WiFi part works OK. That doesn't seem
to be the issue. WiFi works but the wired connection drops off!
If I reset, it works for a few minutes they drops again. But WiFi keeps
going.

Odd.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

LAN connection remains OK if I disconnect the DSL modem. Fails in a few
minutes with modem connected. WiFi connection remaons good at al times.

I took the case off the router. The PCMIA card runs HOT but nothing else
looks wrong.

I've reset the router.

Any other thoughts short of get a new router?

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

John Keiser wrote:
> LAN connection remains OK if I disconnect the DSL modem. Fails in a
> few minutes with modem connected. WiFi connection remaons good at al
> times.
> I took the case off the router. The PCMIA card runs HOT but nothing
> else looks wrong.
>
> I've reset the router.
>
> Any other thoughts short of get a new router?
>
> Thank you.

Sounds to me like the unit hasn't enough power to drive all the required
signals - perhaps the heat has finally won.

September 17, 2004 11:33:58 AM

If anyone is interested: the resolution was to change my PC's TCP/IP LAN
setting from automatic to static.

Don't know why, after 18 months, that was needed.
But it seems to have worked.

Thanks to SMC tech support in Madras!

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

John Keiser <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote:
> If anyone is interested: the resolution was to change my PC's TCP/IP LAN
> setting from automatic to static.

That's not a cure of course. It's a workaround.
It indicates that the problem is only in that one PC, not the router.

> Thanks to SMC tech support in Madras!

Were they really in Madras India? Customer Service is based in Southern
California, but the phone support guy that I talked to was in Singapore.

The other point is that they have some goofy lifetime warranty. Yours
might still be under warranty, or it might not. Hard to say ;-)

--
---
September 17, 2004 9:23:43 PM

Madras [Chennai] for sure as I had ample time to chat with the nice tech. I
called at 8:00 pm.m. Hawaii time and got through in 2 minutes.

I am curious why the workaround was needed. I installed WindowsXP SP2 weeks
ago, so that should not be the cause.

For my general knowledge, why would static vs. automatic IP be needed to fix
this?

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

dold@XReXXMCS70.usenet.us.com wrote:
> It's been so long since anyone posted about the SMC7004 series...
> The last thread that I remember was that they were very heat sensitive.

I gave up a year ago on the three SMC7004WFW units that we
were trying to use. Aside from the below problems, most notably the one
about clients losing IP connectivity after awhile,
-- no way to set time or specify time server (important if you
are not in US)
-- no way to specify static routes (important if you have several
internal subnets)
-- could never get site-to-site vpn to work (not clear how to configure,
online help and docs were of no help)

We will never ever buy SMC routers again. The design and software
appears to have been hastily thrown together with little
quality control, and suggests systemic problems in SMC
management and development organization.

> From: c hore (carhore@yahoo.com)
> Subject: Any SMC7004WFW with reliable WiFi on this planet?
> Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless
> Date: 2003-05-31 22:10:05 PST
>
> Let me ask an opposite question:
> Does anyone on this planet have an SMC7004WFW that
> works reliably as an access point?
>
> To qualify, the unit must meet ALL of the following:
>
> 1. Has the latest firmware, 2.11 (2.11X-P2.0 on Status page).
>
> 2. Has multiple clients associated at the same time,
> running various OSes, at least Win XP and one other
> non-Win client, e.g., Linux/*BSD.
>
> 3. Clients exercise their wireless connection
> simultaneously and heavily, they are not just idle.
>
> 4. At least one Win XP client downloads a multi-hundred
> megabyte file.
>
> 5. The SMC7004WFW is not located in a refrigerator nor
> does it have a means of cooling besides what is built-in.
>
> 6. While doing 2-5, the unit works for at least 24 hours
> without requiring a reboot.
> (Or maybe even just 10 minutes?)
>
> By any chance, does anyone happen to have a unit that
> meets all of the above?
>
> If so, please respond so we know that there is still hope.
>
> I have several units, but ALL fail. The symptom is that
> at some point, the clients lose connectivity (e.g., cannot
> ping router wirelessly), even though XP or the client
> manager app says that client is associated and signal is strong.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:29:44 AM

John Keiser <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote:
> Madras [Chennai] for sure as I had ample time to chat with the nice tech. I
> called at 8:00 pm.m. Hawaii time and got through in 2 minutes.

I chatted with someone the other day with perfect ennunciation, but no
command of the language. Getting closer all the time.

> I am curious why the workaround was needed. I installed WindowsXP SP2 weeks
> ago, so that should not be the cause.

The WindowsXP SP2 firewall might have prevented you from obtaining a new
lease. The old lease IP address would have continued to work for a while.
Maybe another machine got your old IP address.

> For my general knowledge, why would static vs. automatic IP be needed to fix
> this?

Now you are not communicating with a DHCP server for the assignment. The
needed ports might be blocked. You can establish you own static IP (did
you stay out of the range of DHCP-assigned addresses for your router?).
The DNS server might also need to be static, or it might disappear.

--
---
September 18, 2004 1:25:13 AM

SP2 firewall is off. I continue to use ZA.

Yes, I asigned an address outside normal range.

All works OK so I'm content [surprised and delighted that tech support gave
me a real solution so fast!].

Oh well, someday I learn more about TCP/IP.

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Anonymous

John Keiser <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote:
> SP2 firewall is off. I continue to use ZA.

By default, the Windows firewall keeps no log. When you do turn it on, it
is not a good format for review.

ZoneAlarm, on the other hand, does give nice logs.
I don't see that I have any machines blessed to allow DHCP to occur.
Maybe it shows up as one of the programs (services) that I have allowed.

If you clear the ZoneAlarm Log, and then set the IP to dynamic, see if
anything gets logged. On the Alerts page, set it so that you get popup
messages for all three options.

--
---