Corrupt System32...please help

WTFpwned

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
Last night I was playing Dark Age of Camelot on my PC and everything was running fine. Then, my computer froze I was dropped from the game and the comp shut off. I tried to boot it back up but it wouldn't work. Finally after multiple attempts to boot up it finally did, however, it continued to restart itself just before the windows login screen appeared. So I turned the power off, waited about 20 seconds, turned it on again and this time got all the way into windows before it reset. Now during the boot up screens it came to a screen and stopped it read something like: Windows has found a corrupted or damaged windows/system32/windows/something file, insert your windows CD and type "r" to repair it. Now lucky me I loaned out my windows xp CD. My question is what caused this to happen? And is it likely that I'm going to have to format my harddrive?

You understand the silverwear...cuckoo cuckoo

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Oops! Double Post! :smile:

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 08/19/03 09:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Here u go...
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545" target="_new">How to Recover from a currupted Registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.</A>

U might want to take a print out of that page before u try repairing.

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>

WTFpwned

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
Thanks, actually once I got my windows xp cd in it recovered itself. First thing windows has ever done for me ;)! Well, any idea what caused this? Thanks for the help.

You understand the silverwear...cuckoo cuckoo

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I dont know what caused such an error in my system a while back. My computer was starting and in the middle of loading Windows i pressed the Reset button to go into BIOS and that caused the error.

<font color=blue>Just be </font color=blue><font color=red><b>ABU</b></font color=red> - <b><font color=red>A</b></font color=red><font color=blue>lways</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>B</b></font color=red><font color=blue>e</font color=blue> <b><font color=red>U</b></font color=red><font color=blue>seful<b>!</b></font color=blue>