Misssing CD And DVD

I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
I am using Windows XP home edition.
I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
I used the CD that came with camera.
I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
ones on the CD.
Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't know
which ones.
Please help
Thanks
Lloyd

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do a System Restore to a date/time before you installed the pen camera.

"Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
> I am using Windows XP home edition.
> I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
> I used the CD that came with camera.
> I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
> ones on the CD.
> Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
> I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
> I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't know
> which ones.
> Please help
> Thanks
> Lloyd

Doing a system restore would be the easiest option. Assuming you have a
restore point prior to installing the pen camera

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
> I am using Windows XP home edition.
> I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
> I used the CD that came with camera.
> I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
> ones on the CD.
> Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
> I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
> I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't know
> which ones.
> Please help
> Thanks
> Lloyd

Yes I tried a restore to a date before this problem started but said could
not restore.

"Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
> I am using Windows XP home edition.
> I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
> I used the CD that came with camera.
> I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
> ones on the CD.
> Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
> I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
> I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't know
> which ones.
> Please help
> Thanks
> Lloyd

Lloyd have you tried to use system restore from Safe Mode?
You say you don't have access to CD or DVD. Is it a case that you don't have
a cd or dvd icon in my computer or is it the case that when you insert a cd
or dvd nothing happens? If the latter does the cd-dvd light come one in
trying to access the cd-dvd?
If the cd-dvd will accept cd's and a cd will run from the cd (you don't have
to be able to see the files/folders in windows explorer) you could try
clicking the Start button followed by All Programs>Accessories>Command
prompt. At the Command prompt type: sfc /scannow
I ask if the cd-rom will run a cd because to use this facility you need to
have your windows xp cd inserted into the cd-rom. What sfc does is scans you
system files and, if it finds any errors, it will replace the system file
from the original xp cd.

--

> Yes I tried a restore to a date before this problem started but said could
> not restore.
>
> "Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
>> I am using Windows XP home edition.
>> I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
>> I used the CD that came with camera.
>> I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
>> ones on the CD.
>> Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
>> I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
>> I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't know
>> which ones.
>> Please help
>> Thanks
>> Lloyd

After computer boots if I go to My Computer I only have a C drive.
When I open control panel and look at device manager it shows the CD and DVD
but have a yellow mark in front
I have tried to repair by inserting XP home disk but will only run until
gets to screen where need to read agreement and enter F8 key.
Can push F8 key but nothing happens.
I know if I completely reformat will work but hate to have to do.
I was installing a pen camera and CD that came with said it was over writing
some of the kernel files.
I think that was the start of the problem.
Thanks
Lloyd

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Lloyd have you tried to use system restore from Safe Mode?
> You say you don't have access to CD or DVD. Is it a case that you don't
> have a cd or dvd icon in my computer or is it the case that when you
> insert a cd or dvd nothing happens? If the latter does the cd-dvd light
> come one in trying to access the cd-dvd?
> If the cd-dvd will accept cd's and a cd will run from the cd (you don't
> have to be able to see the files/folders in windows explorer) you could
> try clicking the Start button followed by All Programs>Accessories>Command
> prompt. At the Command prompt type: sfc /scannow
> I ask if the cd-rom will run a cd because to use this facility you need to
> have your windows xp cd inserted into the cd-rom. What sfc does is scans
> you system files and, if it finds any errors, it will replace the system
> file from the original xp cd.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>

> "Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Yes I tried a restore to a date before this problem started but said
>> could not restore.
>>
>> "Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I purchased a Pen Camera and tried to install.
>>> I am using Windows XP home edition.
>>> I looked at software that came with camera and is dated 2002
>>> I used the CD that came with camera.
>>> I know it wrote over some of the existing files that were newer than the
>>> ones on the CD.
>>> Now I don't have access to CD or DVD drives.
>>> I have tried going to Registry and changing but still didn't work.
>>> I think I need to replace the files that were over written but don't
>>> know which ones.
>>> Please help
>>> Thanks
>>> Lloyd

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:42:32 -0700, Lloyd Smith wrote:

> After computer boots if I go to My Computer I only have a C drive.
> When I open control panel and look at device manager it shows the CD and DVD
> but have a yellow mark in front
> I have tried to repair by inserting XP home disk but will only run until
> gets to screen where need to read agreement and enter F8 key.
> Can push F8 key but nothing happens.
> I know if I completely reformat will work but hate to have to do.
> I was installing a pen camera and CD that came with said it was over writing
> some of the kernel files.
> I think that was the start of the problem.
> Thanks
> Lloyd

Reformatting is like taking a sledge hammer to fix something you only
need a screwdriver for. Have you downloaded new drivers any other
way? Have you gone to the appropriate web site for them?

I was going to suggest a Reapir install, but as you can't get past the
licence agreement that is not going to be possible.
But you say you have the XP home CD. Did you try the sfc /scannow option?
Go to the command prompt and type sfc /scannow. The system will usually ask
for your XP CD so have it ready and let the system scan the files. Any
damaged system files will be repaired.

--

> After computer boots if I go to My Computer I only have a C drive.
> When I open control panel and look at device manager it shows the CD and
> DVD
> but have a yellow mark in front
> I have tried to repair by inserting XP home disk but will only run until
> gets to screen where need to read agreement and enter F8 key.
> Can push F8 key but nothing happens.
> I know if I completely reformat will work but hate to have to do.
> I was installing a pen camera and CD that came with said it was over
> writing
> some of the kernel files.
> I think that was the start of the problem.
> Thanks
> Lloyd
>

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Lloyd have you tried to use system restore from Safe Mode?
>> You say you don't have access to CD or DVD. Is it a case that you don't
>> have a cd or dvd icon in my computer or is it the case that when you
>> insert a cd or dvd nothing happens? If the latter does the cd-dvd light
>> come one in trying to access the cd-dvd?
>> If the cd-dvd will accept cd's and a cd will run from the cd (you don't
>> have to be able to see the files/folders in windows explorer) you could
>> try clicking the Start button followed by All
>> Programs>Accessories>Command prompt. At the Command prompt type: sfc
>> /scannow
>> I ask if the cd-rom will run a cd because to use this facility you need
>> to have your windows xp cd inserted into the cd-rom. What sfc does is
>> scans you system files and, if it finds any errors, it will replace the
>> system file from the original xp cd.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>>

>> "Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Yes I tried a restore to a date before this problem started but said
>>> could not restore.
>>>
>>> "Lloyd Smith" <W7gbx@cox.net> wrote in message

Latest posts