Can't get past Password protected User Account Screen

I recently bought a computer from my brother and sister-in-law for my 5 yr
old daughter. When they originally bought the machine, they had a guy come
out and set up their computer with user names and obscure passwords. Well,
the passwords have all been lost in the latest move and nobody remembers what
their old password was. I have tried to bypass the screen in safe mode but
it still requires an administrator password. Is there anything I can do so
we can use the computer?

Something here should help:

But if the computer is new to you, a better option is to start over with a
Clean installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm
This will help ensure a clean computer free of malware and other unwanted
junk.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"M Clark" <MClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a computer from my brother and sister-in-law for my 5 yr
> old daughter. When they originally bought the machine, they had a guy
> come
> out and set up their computer with user names and obscure passwords.
> Well,
> the passwords have all been lost in the latest move and nobody remembers
> what
> their old password was. I have tried to bypass the screen in safe mode
> but
> it still requires an administrator password. Is there anything I can do
> so
> we can use the computer?

Are you talking about a hardware password or a Windows software password?
(I'm not sure that this may be useful but here goes anyway.)

If it is a hardware password you could -
take out the CMOS battery for a few minutes in the hope that this will
re-set the CMOS settings.
have a look at the motherboard manual (although I suspect this has also
been lost) to see if there is a dip switch setting to set / unset password
protection.

Is, as I suspect, it is a Windows software password -
There not be much you can do save for re-installing Windows and all
software but others may have a better idea on this.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions