Installing xp on new hard drive.

I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.

I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
do the trick.

my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...

Please help...

Ran278 wrote:
> I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this
> does not do the trick.
>
> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
> do...
>
> Please help...

The answer is simple. You've left the CD in the drive! Of course it's going
to start over - the CD is still set as the first boot device and it has a
bootable disc in it. Take the CD out! ;o;)

map

ROTFLOL

--
Mike Pawlak

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Ran278 wrote:
>> I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>>
>> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this
>> does not do the trick.
>>
>> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
>> do...
>>
>> Please help...
>
> The answer is simple. You've left the CD in the drive! Of course it's
> going to start over - the CD is still set as the first boot device
> and it has a bootable disc in it. Take the CD out! ;o;)

When the installer reboots the system make certain you do not press a key
when the message to do so is displayed. Wait about 5 secs and installation
should continue. If the problem persists try a different keyboard. You might
have a sticky key.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> do the trick.
>
> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
>
> Please help...

Hi, Ran278.

Sounds like the classic problem of failing to install drivers for your
non-vanilla HD/controller during installation of WinXP.

What kind of HD/controller are you using as the boot device? SATA? SCSI?
RAID?

Very early in Setup, as it is detecting the hardware configuration, a
message will flash briefly at the bottom of the screen saying something like
"Press F6 to install drivers for RAID or other mass storage devices". Press
F6 and wait while it seems not to notice and continues to copy all those
many files. When it finally stops, there will be instructions onscreen for
how to install drivers from a floppy diskette.

Before you boot from the WinXP CD-ROM, though, be sure you have a floppy
with the proper drivers on it. Your new 160 GB HD may have come with such a
floppy, or you may need to copy the drivers from a CD to a floppy before
running Setup.

The WinXP Setup CD-ROM knows how to partition and format your HD and copy
files to it, but when you reboot from the HD for the first time, to continue
Setup, drivers for the new boot device must have already been integrated
into YOUR copy of WinXP.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Ran278 wrote:
>> I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>>
>> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this
>> does not do the trick.
>>
>> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
>> do...
>>
>> Please help...
>
> The answer is simple. You've left the CD in the drive! Of course it's
> going to start over - the CD is still set as the first boot device and it
> has a bootable disc in it. Take the CD out! ;o;)

It can be that simple yes, but normally not as you have to "press any key to
boot from the CD", otherwise it will just bypass that and continue to boot
into Windows and the logon screen, if you have several users. Normally it
does that, but what is normal these day! :))

Come back Ran278 if you still have problem and tell us more precisely what
you do, or not do, when the PC is booting up.

Regards,

Gunilla.

Hahahahah lol.

-Matt

Miss Perspicacia Tick Wrote:
> Ran278 wrote:-
> I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
> I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this
> does not do the trick.
>
> my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
> do...
>
> Please help...-
>
> The answer is simple. You've left the CD in the drive! Of course it's
> going
> to start over - the CD is still set as the first boot device and it has
> bootable disc in it. Take the CD out! ;o;)

--
matt_fleming

MAP wrote:
> ROTFLOL

Sorry, Michael, I fail to see the humour in what I wrote - or are you
laughing at the OP - in which case, why did you reply to my post...?

kev

Is it because your an idiot? It's ok to call you an idiot because you call
Andrew E an idiot all the time right? So it's appropriate to call you an
idiot?

> MAP wrote:
>> ROTFLOL
>
> Sorry, Michael, I fail to see the humour in what I wrote - or are you
> laughing at the OP - in which case, why did you reply to my post...?

Your the first person to send a helpful post thxs i'll give it a try.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Ran278.
>
> Sounds like the classic problem of failing to install drivers for your
> non-vanilla HD/controller during installation of WinXP.
>
> What kind of HD/controller are you using as the boot device? SATA? SCSI?
> RAID?
>
> Very early in Setup, as it is detecting the hardware configuration, a
> message will flash briefly at the bottom of the screen saying something like
> "Press F6 to install drivers for RAID or other mass storage devices". Press
> F6 and wait while it seems not to notice and continues to copy all those
> many files. When it finally stops, there will be instructions onscreen for
> how to install drivers from a floppy diskette.
>
> Before you boot from the WinXP CD-ROM, though, be sure you have a floppy
> with the proper drivers on it. Your new 160 GB HD may have come with such a
> floppy, or you may need to copy the drivers from a CD to a floppy before
> running Setup.
>
> The WinXP Setup CD-ROM knows how to partition and format your HD and copy
> files to it, but when you reboot from the HD for the first time, to continue
> Setup, drivers for the new boot device must have already been integrated
> into YOUR copy of WinXP.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
> >
> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> > do the trick.
> >
> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
> >
> > Please help...

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sorrt Ran but if Miss Perspicacia Tick gets hold of a post it's usually like
this, she's the biggest troll around.
IFC
> Your the first person to send a helpful post thxs i'll give it a try.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Ran278.
>>
>> Sounds like the classic problem of failing to install drivers for your
>> non-vanilla HD/controller during installation of WinXP.
>>
>> What kind of HD/controller are you using as the boot device? SATA?
>> SCSI?
>> RAID?
>>
>> Very early in Setup, as it is detecting the hardware configuration, a
>> message will flash briefly at the bottom of the screen saying something
>> like
>> "Press F6 to install drivers for RAID or other mass storage devices".
>> Press
>> F6 and wait while it seems not to notice and continues to copy all those
>> many files. When it finally stops, there will be instructions onscreen
>> for
>> how to install drivers from a floppy diskette.
>>
>> Before you boot from the WinXP CD-ROM, though, be sure you have a floppy
>> with the proper drivers on it. Your new 160 GB HD may have come with
>> such a
>> floppy, or you may need to copy the drivers from a CD to a floppy before
>> running Setup.
>>
>> The WinXP Setup CD-ROM knows how to partition and format your HD and copy
>> files to it, but when you reboot from the HD for the first time, to
>> continue
>> Setup, drivers for the new boot device must have already been integrated
>> into YOUR copy of WinXP.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@corridor.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>
>> "Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>> >
>> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does
>> > not
>> > do the trick.
>> >
>> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
>> > do...
>> >
>> > Please help...

Tried it, and did not work. I made sure all my drivers for new hard drive
are installed also.

The message "Please insert boot disk into drive A: " "and hit any key to
continue." This appears after I have installed from the the blue screen.

This message comes up when I have removed the disk while computer is
rebooting.

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> When the installer reboots the system make certain you do not press a key
> when the message to do so is displayed. Wait about 5 secs and installation
> should continue. If the problem persists try a different keyboard. You might
> have a sticky key.
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
> >
> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> > do the trick.
> >
> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
> >
> > Please help...

Tried it, and did not work. I made sure all my drivers for new hard drive
are installed also.

The message "Please insert boot disk into drive A: " "and hit any key to
continue." This appears after I have installed from the the blue screen.

This message comes up when I have removed the disk while computer is
rebooting.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> Ran278 wrote:
> > I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
> >
> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this
> > does not do the trick.
> >
> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
> > do...
> >
> > Please help...
>
> The answer is simple. You've left the CD in the drive! Of course it's going
> to start over - the CD is still set as the first boot device and it has a
> bootable disc in it. Take the CD out! ;o;)

Hi Ran278.

Maybe you removed the disk all too soon? You have let the installation go
through completely until the desktop comes up and the annoying balloon
message about Windows XP tutorial, or something like that.

Or if it isn't like that....maybe you should start all over again by
following the information in this link very exactly.

Kind regards,

Gunilla.

"Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Tried it, and did not work. I made sure all my drivers for new hard drive
> are installed also.
>
> The message "Please insert boot disk into drive A: " "and hit any key to
> continue." This appears after I have installed from the the blue screen.
>
> This message comes up when I have removed the disk while computer is
> rebooting.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> Ran278 wrote:

<Snipped>

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:48:04 -0700, Ran278
<Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>
>I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
>do the trick.
>
>my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
>
>Please help...
Does your PC's BIOS support a 160Gig Hard drive?
MH

That is a great question, it does not.

When I installed the drivers for the hard drive the end result was set at
137G not 160.

I install windows 137G comes up again, but when in BIOS setup in the CMOS
setup the drive registers at 160G.

Is this all kosher?

I'm about ready to give up... Thx for your input anyhow.

"Mike Hyndman" wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:48:04 -0700, Ran278
> <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
> >I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
> >starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
> >
> >I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does not
> >do the trick.
> >
> >my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to do...
> >
> >Please help...
> Does your PC's BIOS support a 160Gig Hard drive?
> MH

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:40:03 -0700, Ran278
<Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>That is a great question, it does not.
Ah ahhh, I had the same problem on one of mine a while back and whilst
it did format and install OK at 137gig or what ever, its performance was
a bit "flaky". Even BIOS upgrades failed to resolve the problem, the
only solution was a new motherboard that supported 48 bit logical
addressing.
Microsoft has a KB article for a workaround for this problem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303013
but it didn't work for me.;-(
Regards
Mike H

Hi, Ran278.

I see that further down in this thread you said:
"When I installed the drivers for the hard drive the end result was set at
137G not 160.

"I install windows 137G comes up again, but when in BIOS setup in the CMOS
setup the drive registers at 160G."

That's what I was getting at in my first post when I asked about the
interface of your new 160 GB HD. You still haven't told us anything about
your hardware or BIOS. We don't know the make and model of your computer or
your motherboard or your HD controller or your new hard drive You have kept
us very much in the dark! You've posted 6 messages now (well, 3 of them
were triplicates) in the past 4 days and still have not told us ANY of this
information. :>(

"Big drives" have been on the market for several years now, but many of us
are still running computers with a mobo/BIOS without support for those
drives. Here's an old (2002) article that explains what you need and why:
Live Large with Big Drives
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdpcm/is_200210/ai_ziff30753

And here's a KB article that explains that you need at least SP1 for WinXP:
How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

Step 1 is to be sure that your computer hardware can handle >137 GB HDs.
Step 2 is to be sure your BIOS is updated to handle 48-bit LBA addressing.
Step 3, be sure your WinXP is at least SP1; you really should visit Windows
Update to be sure that you have SP2 and all the later critical updates. If
you are still working with the original 10/25/01 version of the WinXP
CD-ROM, you may need to get SP2 and use your CD burner to create a
"slipstreamed" version of WinXP with SP2 integrated into it; if you need
instructions for this, please post back.

THEN, boot from the WinXP Pro w/SP2 CD-ROM and install WinXP on your new 160
GB HD. It should be a snap!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Tried it, and did not work. I made sure all my drivers for new hard drive
> are installed also.
>
> The message "Please insert boot disk into drive A: " "and hit any key to
> continue." This appears after I have installed from the the blue screen.
>
> This message comes up when I have removed the disk while computer is
> rebooting.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Ran278.
>>
>> Sounds like the classic problem of failing to install drivers for your
>> non-vanilla HD/controller during installation of WinXP.
>>
>> What kind of HD/controller are you using as the boot device? SATA?
>> SCSI?
>> RAID?
>>
>> Very early in Setup, as it is detecting the hardware configuration, a
>> message will flash briefly at the bottom of the screen saying something
>> like
>> "Press F6 to install drivers for RAID or other mass storage devices".
>> Press
>> F6 and wait while it seems not to notice and continues to copy all those
>> many files. When it finally stops, there will be instructions onscreen
>> for
>> how to install drivers from a floppy diskette.
>>
>> Before you boot from the WinXP CD-ROM, though, be sure you have a floppy
>> with the proper drivers on it. Your new 160 GB HD may have come with
>> such a
>> floppy, or you may need to copy the drivers from a CD to a floppy before
>> running Setup.
>>
>> The WinXP Setup CD-ROM knows how to partition and format your HD and copy
>> files to it, but when you reboot from the HD for the first time, to
>> continue
>> Setup, drivers for the new boot device must have already been integrated
>> into YOUR copy of WinXP.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Ran278" <Ran278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I been haveing trouble installing xp pro on my hard drive.
>> > I am able to get through the windows install, computer reboots then
>> > starts the process all over again starting from the blue screen.
>> >
>> > I've tried setting the cdrom as the first bootable drive but this does
>> > not
>> > do the trick.
>> >
>> > my pins are correct on my 160 gig drive. I don't know what else to
>> > do...
>> >
>> > Please help...

If you are unable to install BELARC or
Everst at http://www.lavalys.com/

To explain the make and model of all of your PC parts
Then you may want to consider giving up.

Sir Gary in New Orleans
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~