copying cds and playing them on ordinary cd player

I think I have just copied a full cd on to 'my music' and then I have tried
to copy it to another cd for a friend which it said it had done, but when I
went downstairs and put it on my ordinary hi fi, it wouldn't play. I've used
a CD-R cd. What am I doing wrong?
--
jayjay

jayjay wrote:
> I think I have just copied a full cd on to 'my music' and then I have
> tried to copy it to another cd for a friend which it said it had
> done, but when I went downstairs and put it on my ordinary hi fi, it
> wouldn't play. I've used a CD-R cd. What am I doing wrong?

How did you copy it? If you merely copied what you thought were the tracks
to My Music and then burnt them to another CD that isn't going to work, you
need to rip them properly. There are many applications that will do this -
many of them free - you have Media Player as part of the OS, but I prefer
iTunes. If using Media Player, you stick the CD in you wish to rip, click
the 'rip now' button and let it rip the tracks to the My Music folder. Then
stick your blank CD in, click the burn tab and then 'select playlist'.
Select the tracks you wish to burn, and then hit the 'burn now' button.

One key distinction is the difference between a data and a music cd. A
music cd can be played in any cd player, while a data cd (probably a
MP3 cd in this case) can only be played on a properly enabled player.
Hence the need to 'rip' a cd.

-Matt

Miss Perspicacia Tick Wrote:
> jayjay wrote:-
> I think I have just copied a full cd on to 'my music' and then I have
> tried to copy it to another cd for a friend which it said it had
> done, but when I went downstairs and put it on my ordinary hi fi, it
> wouldn't play. I've used a CD-R cd. What am I doing wrong?-
>
> How did you copy it? If you merely copied what you thought were the
> tracks
> to My Music and then burnt them to another CD that isn't going to work,
> you
> need to rip them properly. There are many applications that will do
> this -
> many of them free - you have Media Player as part of the OS, but I
> prefer
> iTunes. If using Media Player, you stick the CD in you wish to rip,
> click
> the 'rip now' button and let it rip the tracks to the My Music folder.
> Then
> stick your blank CD in, click the burn tab and then 'select playlist'.
> Select the tracks you wish to burn, and then hit the 'burn now' button.

--
matt_fleming

Did you reslove this problem? I am having a similar problem in that after I
copied an entire music CD I notice that it will only play on some CD players.
I used a Phillips CD R disc which has a music symbol on it.
Any solutions?
Richard

"jayjay" wrote:

> I think I have just copied a full cd on to 'my music' and then I have tried
> to copy it to another cd for a friend which it said it had done, but when I
> went downstairs and put it on my ordinary hi fi, it wouldn't play. I've used
> a CD-R cd. What am I doing wrong?
> --
> jayjay

You must have a CD player that specifically states that it will play CD-R
disks. They use a different color laser. In addition, to play mp3's the
player must also state that it can play them.

BTW: There is no difference between music and data disks except that you pay
a royalty for music disks. Stereo system recorders require music disks, a PC
does not. There is a flag prerecorded on the CD.