Trouble Installing OS

spd1014

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hey guys,

So I just finished building my first computer. I am trying to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit as the first OS and it keeps saying the cd key is invalid. I am a student currently and on the CD it says 64-bit x64 upgrade: PRE EXISTING OS LICENSE REQUIRED. I am wondering if this is the reason it will not work. Since this is planned to be my first OS, does it make a difference or do I need to go and buy and old OS just to install that first? Please help!!! thanks!

Solution
sminlal is right that an upgrade version of Win7 can't be installed to a blank hard drive. (Legally, that is...) I wanted to note that, if you are a college student, you can most likely get a copy of Windows cheaply through your college bookstore. Remember, it has to be Retail or OEM, not Upgrade.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
sminlal is right that an upgrade version of Win7 can't be installed to a blank hard drive. (Legally, that is...) I wanted to note that, if you are a college student, you can most likely get a copy of Windows cheaply through your college bookstore. Remember, it has to be Retail or OEM, not Upgrade.

Solution
Actually yes, it does. The install kit scans for the previous OS before it formats the drive and if it can't find a previous version it will only accept a full license key. If there is a previous version, it will accept an upgrade license key.

It does scan for the previous version, and it does determine what license key it will accept based on whether it finds one. That code is part of the install kit, period.

Can you hack your way around it? Yes. But if you want to be legal, you need to purchase and install the full version of Windows if you're not using it to retire a previous version.

The only ethical way to hack your way around it (no matter which way you do it) is if for one reason or another the previous OS that you're replacing isn't on the drive that you're installing to.

4745454b

Titan
Again, never claimed it was legal. But you can install an upgrade media to a blank drive. Thats the only reason I joined this thread. I was answering a different question and saw that this was the most recent best answer. The problem is the answer is wrong. Never said it was legal, never said it was a good idea, only trying to point out that its NOT the problem. I've provided links, up to "you" to decide.

Peace.

Yes, the install twice method works even when you use the double install trick, but doing so does go against the license agreement. As such, please avoid suggesting to people that they should use that method.

And no, the answer currently marked as best is not wrong.