Distinguished
Aug 12, 2003
Well, I've given up on upgrading my pc.....for now

I bought a 2.40c p4 proc
a Intel D865PErl mobo
2 x 256MB 333mhz ddr sticks
have a true380watt antec ps
visiontek gefore 3

I can not get winxp pro, home OR w2k to install. The install process starts, but I get this blue screen w/ a bunch of errors on it...0x0000001 or something like that...I flashed the BIOS w/ the newest version, but I can not get an OS to install...I have tried everything and can not get it to work...I think I am just going to return the hardware...If anyone knows how I can fix this, much appreciated...

Praesul

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
Sounds like a memory problem...

Try installing the OS with minimal hardware connected to your system. Just go with one stick of RAM, if it doesn´t work, go with the other stick. Set your BIOS to default (fail-safe) setting, and don´t use dual-channel, PAT or other performance increasing stuff. Make sure you´re not running with Fast Read Latency or Fast Dram T-R, that could also give errors (disable in BIOS).

---
The difference between theory and practise in practise is greater than the difference between theory and practise in theory.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
damn beat me to it... hehe only a day late!! yes its almost certainly memory. as the 2 gentlemen before me suggested run at relaxd timings with just 1 stick. installing he os is very stressful on memory ive found and will show up dodgy sticks even if they appear to work under normal applications

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Just a little something I noticed. Your CPU supports 200MHz FSB, while your memory sticks are built for 166MHz FSB. So you may check your BIOS and see whether it has overclocked your memory to 200MHz for you. If this is the case, maybe the memory can't handle the higher FSB and that's causing you all the problems. What can you do about this? Either underclock your CPU (instead of 12x200 use 12x166, getting this way 2GHz instead of 2.4GHz) or buy new memory!