ASUS P4C800-E MB Slowless And Internet Crawling?

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I have the ASUS P4C800-E Motherboard Deluxe with a WDC 250 GB SATA Disk Drive, and two sticks of 512 MB of Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 DDR-400 approved RAM.

Each Memory Stick is in the Blue DIMM Memory Slot.

I was running Windows XP Pro SP1 with the ASUS Motherboard's original BIOS Revision 7.

The Computer is connected to a "APC Smart-UPS 1400" Unit.

The other day which was after the Northeast Electrical Power Blackout, I used the Windows based ASUS Flash Software utility to download from the ASUS Website and then Flash the BIOS to the P4800-E Deluxe Final Version 1010.004 Date 07/21/2003.

I also downloaded and installed from the ASUS Website the lastest Software Device Drivers.

My Computer is now running somewhat slower, but the Internet is now running extremely slow.

Most of the same Web Pages which use to take 1 - 3 seconds to load, now sometimes takes 10 to 30 seconds.

I have the Verizon DSL 1.5 MB Communication Plan Package with a LinkSys 4 Port Router.

I tried over and over again with and without the LinkSys Router and the Internet is still extrememly slow.

Without the LinkSys Router I use the Verizon DSL Dial-Up Network Settings.

My Intel PRO/1000 CT Network Connection Properties are the following:

Driver Provider - Intel.
Driver Date - 5/21/2003
Driver Version - 7.0.37.0

The Intel Proset Link Speed and Duplex Settings are set to:
Auto-Negotiate Best Speed.

In the IDE Configuration BIOS Setup Screen I have the following settings.

Onboard IDE Operate Mode - [Enhanced Mode]
Enhanced Mode SUpport on - [S-ATA]
Configure S-ATA as Raid - [No]
Serial ATA Bootrom - Disabled (This Field Only Appears When The Item Configure SATA as RAID is set to Yes)
IDE Detect Time Out (Sec) - [35]

Is there any performance or reliability advantage in setting the one WDC SATA Disk Drive that I have in a RAID 0 Configuration using the RAID Feature of the Intel ICH5R Chipset, then leave it in the non-Raid Configuration that it is now?

In the past in a older ASUS P4PE Motherboard I had used the same WDC 250 SATA Drive off of the Promise Disk Drive Controller set up as a single Disk RAID 0 Configuraiton.

I also disabled the the Promise Disk Controller in the Motherboard BIOS.

What could have slowed down my Computer?

The New BIOS?
The Latest NIC Device Driver?
Anything Else?

I would appreciate any reponses to my questions.

Thank You.

Jonathan

Jonathan

sturm

Splendid
Why did you update the bios? If everything was running fine before I dont see a need to update.
You may try using the old drivers to see if it changes.
Its also possible that something with the blackout damage a component.

qbert

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Hey,

You can't have one hard drive in raid- you need two or more. But that is not affecting your internet speed.

I almost have the same set up. Asus p4c800-E, 1010 bios, same network stuff, linksys 4 port router and a cyberpower 1500avr ups.

I don't have any problems right now but I did recently:
I noticed that whenever I started up explorer it would have trouble loading the page. I discovered it was spyware. I reinstalled windows and it is fine now. They have spyware programs that can detect and remove it from your hardrive. I've never used them though. Either check that out or reinstall windows.

Goodluck,
Jason

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Everyone should have Adaware from Lavasoft. I'ts free. If you have never used it you could have hundreds of spyware programs running in the background and slowing down your computer without you even knowing it. Adaware will clean it all out. I can't believe this stuff is legal. These things are almost like viruses that atatch themsleves to you computer and watch everything you do and send it back to these companies without your consent. Programs like GATOR create popup ads. Try this before you do anything drastic.

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I use to use adaware, now I just use <A HREF="http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10122137.html?part=104443&subj=dlpage&tag=button" target="_new">Spybot</A> also should be using <A HREF="http://www.meaya.com/" target="_new">PopUpFilter</A> And can check speed threw <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com/stest" target="_new">DSLreports</A>