Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MechWarrior 4 Now Available for Free Download

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
May 3, 2010 4:14:03 PM

F.F.F.F.FREEEEEe ... doooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!
Score
May 3, 2010 4:15:42 PM

woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now!
Score
Related resources
May 3, 2010 4:18:23 PM

Yep, i'll be downloading it tonight when I sleep.
Score
May 3, 2010 4:23:28 PM

Ive never played one of these games...Im downloading it now, hope its good.
Score
May 3, 2010 4:25:58 PM

i think ALL older games (that have newer versions anyway) should be distributed online for free by their creators....

it would bring more individuals to the gaming community which would in turn increase sales of newer games
Score
May 3, 2010 4:27:35 PM

free games? count me in!
Score
May 3, 2010 4:42:25 PM

kostya001woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now!

And in a few years you'll be saying the same thing about a 1.7 Tera-byte Game in higher definition.

Score
May 3, 2010 4:43:44 PM

I still don't have a joystick, did they ever get rid of torso twisting or am I still screwed?
Score
May 3, 2010 4:44:30 PM

I feel so elitist when I play Mechwarrior knowing it would not be a halo fanboys cup of tea.
Score
May 3, 2010 4:58:03 PM

I know microsoft is in on this, but is there any chance there is/will be a port to linux?
Score
May 3, 2010 5:00:43 PM

I remember when a 64M HDD was overkill. Free? What's the catch?
Score
May 3, 2010 5:11:15 PM

page down ;(
Score
May 3, 2010 5:13:19 PM

Server overload again in 3...2...1....
Score
May 3, 2010 5:13:31 PM

Saturday their site was down due to the enormous amount of traffic; Mektek's sight that is. I tried to download it yesterday, but to no avail.
Score
May 3, 2010 5:14:36 PM

Too bad their servers can't handle the requests. Might be a while before you can download this release.
Score
May 3, 2010 5:21:11 PM

may of found a workaround hold up let me make sure it works....
Score
May 3, 2010 5:22:53 PM

They just released this the end of last week and over the weekend and had over 100,000 downloads before there server blew up...they are fixing the problem now, so you may want to give it a few days to get sorted out. You have to download it through MTX, which is their own bittorrent type client. This is important, because all updates are also handled through MTX and MekPak 4 is due shortly also.

@hellwig...of course there is still torso twist, but many do play keyboard/mouse...for me, joysticks are just ,more fun

@crazy hitchhiker....actually, MS didn't have much to do with this, as Smith & Tinker owns the current rights, MS's approval was just crossing the T's and dotting the I's...The MekTek team has there hands full right now, and I highly doubt a Linux port.

This was released for free to generate interest in the upcoming ( someday ) Mechwarrior 5, also by Smith & Tinker
Score
May 3, 2010 5:26:44 PM

dont click the small text link click on the yellow/orange X on the side bar and it will download ...SLOWWWWWWW LLLLLYYYYYY
Score
May 3, 2010 5:28:19 PM

This was mentioned over the weekend on shacknews.com.
I have been trying to get to their website (mektek) but it has been down because of the mass people hitting the site.
Score
May 3, 2010 5:28:40 PM

MECHWARRIOR IS BACK! MEKTEK CRASHES HARD DURING RELEASE!

The web server is back online and we have a new version of MTX available.

The new version brings with it an offline mode, allowing you to install games and updates when the web servers are down. A critical flaw in our design pattern has been addressed where MTX would fail when our servers went down. There are risks involved with installing and updating in offline mode as the client can't verify the files to make sure they haven't become corrupted, but it does give you the option if you wish to install when the web server is unavailable. If the files are corrupted, you will have to re-download and reinstall in order to connect to servers running the correct version. If you already obtained the MTX patches else where then you should be able to download and install those patches with MTX by using the Browse > Open *.mtx function.

The router has been replaced, if you have the MTX client it will start the downloading process.

If you need the client : hhttp://mtxgear.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.3.5.exe

Forums are also up : http://www.mektek.net/forums/
Score
May 3, 2010 5:31:15 PM

great only 4182.3 minutes tell i can play it.......well they browght back the D/L times from back in the day too.....
Score
May 3, 2010 5:35:40 PM

I want a re-release of chex-quest!
Score
May 3, 2010 5:50:05 PM

awh i get a 404 error when i click the link. Too much demand maybe.
Score
May 3, 2010 5:53:44 PM

stm1185awh i get a 404 error when i click the link. Too much demand maybe.

Yes
Score
May 3, 2010 5:55:29 PM

Cool, I lost, can't remember what happened to my old ones. Time to break out my Logitech Joystick.
Score
May 3, 2010 6:00:24 PM

Well I can't get it to work... Installed MTX and when I start it, it loads but nothing happens. No idea where to look or what to do.
Score
May 3, 2010 6:11:04 PM

triculiousfree games? count me in!

me too!!!
Score
May 3, 2010 6:12:23 PM

Mektek is getting hammered very hard they had no idea that the news would have such an huge demand. They had over 100K simultaneous requests over the weekend which basically cooked the hardware. They are backup and running but just barely. There are torrents out with the 3 downloads neededed. You can use those and install them via the MTX client.
For all technical issues please visit the forums:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/

Score
May 3, 2010 6:12:36 PM

Heh...I almost feel guilty downloading this, almost like I'm pirating. What a nice gesture though, of Microsoft and others, to let this one go free. Aren't many good companies around out there that would do such a thing.

Thanks to Toms Hardware, too, for the heads up. Finally, news I can sink my proverbial gaming teeth into. :D 
Score
May 3, 2010 6:18:24 PM

Does anyone know where I can download the free Mac version? Anyone? Anyone? Hello...?
Score
May 3, 2010 6:20:58 PM

kostya001woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now!

I remember when the coolest games came on a single 3.5" floppy disk. :) 
Score
Anonymous
May 3, 2010 6:23:10 PM

The mechtek site is still getting slammed, but it is up and dowloading.Incidently there are three updates not one. The first is the basic game requiring the cd to run. The second is an update to add mechs requires a cd to run. The third is the update to remove copy protection, requires no cd to run after update is done. MTX is primarily an updater o insure correct installation
Score
May 3, 2010 6:45:51 PM

Mech warriors? Sweet!!! I want to pillage unobtanium from the natives now!
Score
May 3, 2010 6:47:42 PM

Mektek can't handle the request for it though.
Score
May 3, 2010 6:51:49 PM

HalJordanDoes anyone know where I can download the free Mac version? Anyone? Anyone? Hello...?

Microsoft never made a Mac version and MekTek has no plans in porting it nor is that an option in the release agreement ...so.. nope
Score
May 3, 2010 7:07:05 PM

HalJordanDoes anyone know where I can download the free Mac version? Anyone? Anyone? Hello...?

LoooooL
Score
May 3, 2010 7:18:55 PM

jheregkntMicrosoft never made a Mac version and MekTek has no plans in porting it nor is that an option in the release agreement ...so.. nope

Sorry, forgot /sarcasm on my last post. Though, the idea of the words "Mac" and "free" in regards to a game were kind of a dead give away that I was making fun of Apple. Alas, any joke you must explain is not a very good joke. So, I admit it, JOKE FAIL.
Score
Anonymous
May 3, 2010 8:04:38 PM

Okay, forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually download & play the game...when I click on the link, I DL & install MekTekX, but it doesn't seem to actually DL the game...
Score
May 3, 2010 8:11:52 PM

I can't get it working... I've downloaded MTX... but when it loads up it doesn't show any available games...
Score
May 3, 2010 8:15:55 PM

clasamOkay, forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually download & play the game...when I click on the link, I DL & install MekTekX, but it doesn't seem to actually DL the game...

MTX is basically a torrent client, make sure your firewall will allow the traffic. Please also consult the MekTek site:
http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/support.html

Score
May 3, 2010 8:54:43 PM

I know there was a catch. Torrents open the door for viruses and the like. No thanks.

Score
May 3, 2010 9:35:51 PM

Nice,My dad got me into the whole mech PC gaming scene.Im going to have to let him know about this for sure.
Score
May 3, 2010 9:37:36 PM

Nice,My dad got me into the whole mech PC gaming scene.Im going to have to let him know about this for sure.
Score
May 3, 2010 10:29:13 PM

Why would you want a Mac version of MechWarrior4 when a Mac can run Windows OS? Oh this is Tom's I forgot, ignorance is bliss.

Be warned, nothing is ever Free. You always pay the price -- I mean who's willing to work for nothing?? Are you?
Score
May 3, 2010 10:33:21 PM

I have had my multi-axis USB rumble joystick just sitting around for almost 5 years waiting for a CAD/SpaceSim use for it... Sitting. Waiting. Sitting. Waiting. Collecting layers upon layers of dust... Just getting in the way...

Will I finally have use for my beloved joystick?!? God, I hope so. I'm downloading this NAUGH!
Score
May 3, 2010 11:10:29 PM

What an awful piece of software that MTX is. It was hanging all the time, slow and just causing grief all over the place. So MTX has been uninstalled and I guess I won't be playing this classic any time soon.
Score
May 4, 2010 12:23:39 AM

jerreeceI remember when the coolest games came on a single 3.5" floppy disk.

I remember quiet clearly the swap from 5.25" to 3.5". Anybody else here gamed with an 8" with the original Star Trek, maybe?
Score
!