Serial key XP_pro

How do I unregister my key( the OS) so I can install it on a different system?
It may sound crazy but that's question I need answered.
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about serial xp_pro

    In news:73F85E84-ED04-4331-BEEA-02A6A32434F0@microsoft.com,
    BrianMultiLanguage <BrianMultiLanguage@discussions.microsoft.com>
    typed:

    > How do I unregister my key( the OS) so I can install it on a
    > different system? It may sound crazy but that's question I need
    > answered.

    No unregistering (or unactivating, which is what you really mean)
    is necessary or even possible;.

    If yours is a retail version, just remove it from the old system,
    install it on the new one, and activate (not register;
    registration is always completely optional) it there. If it's
    been over 120 days, activation should proceed normally over the
    internet, just as it did the first time. If fewer than 120 days,
    you'll be given an 800 number to call and activate over the
    phone, but that's almost as quick and easy.

    But if yours is an OEM version, be aware that the license for an
    OEM version restricts it to the first computer it's installed on.
    It can never legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given
    away.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    How do I "deactivate", move to another computer or sell a previously activated XP?
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#06

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    BrianMultiLanguage wrote:
    > How do I unregister my key( the OS) so I can install it on a different system?
    > It may sound crazy but that's question I need answered.
    > Thanks

    There is no "de-activation" process, as such.

    Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not legitimately
    transferable), simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on
    and then install it on the new computer. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, the you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    --