Event ID: 1073
Date: 7/19/05
Time: 7:41:20 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: *******
The attempt to reboot ******* failed.

This problem started after I downloaded the latest windows updates. I tried
removing them, and rebooting. But the problem is still there.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

There should have been a System Restore point created when you installed the
updates..........give that a shot........you can always revert back.
Heirloom, old and oughta work

"Sink" <Sink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using winxp home SP2 .When I click the restart button, the computer shuts
> down completely. I have to start it manually.
>
> There is a warning message in the event viewer as follows.
>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: USER32
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1073
> Date: 7/19/05
> Time: 7:41:20 AM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: *******
> The attempt to reboot ******* failed.
>
> This problem started after I downloaded the latest windows updates. I
> tried
> removing them, and rebooting. But the problem is still there.
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks

sink

I am pretty sure the problem has been solved. I tried your suggestion and
went to system restore but problem still exited. I checked the services and
changed the Background Intelligent Transfer Service setting , from manual to
automatic. Now when I click on [Restart], the computer logs off and restarts
properly, instead of shutting down completly.
Thank you, and I appreciate your interest and suggestion.