Anti-virus, etc. help

July 19, 2005 10:59:01 PM

I have a HP Pavilion a705w. It came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton
Personal Firewall already loaded. I have been reading a lot of posts about
different programs to use besides Norton. If I download the Microsoft anti
spyware tool, what else do I need to go with it? How do I know if I already
have Windows firewall?
In what order do I download and delete programs?
I need to delete Norton.
I need to download new security.
How many different ones do I need to install?
I keep seeing CW Shredder, Grisoft, Ad-Adware, Pandasoft, Spybot S&D,
Sygate's, Norton 2005, CA's eTrust, Kasperskyt, McAfee, AntiVir, Avast, Trend
Micro, RAV...and many others.
I see that I am supposed to disable Windows firewall...don't disable
anything until I am protected...go to 3 or 4 different places on my computer
to completely uninstall a program...uninstall some of them from the
web...uninstall some of them from what is already on the compute... download
programs to uninstall...it goes on and on and on...
I am really confused at this point. I don't know who's advice to follow. It
seems as though every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.
What is a beginner to do?
Thanks in advance for any help. And please, no smart-aleck or rude
remarks...only helpful information...I just want to protect my computer from
the beginning.
(I will be reading and learning as much as I can as fast as I can from this
website and the referred websites which I really appreciate.)

More about : anti virus

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:52:36 AM

If you are using the version of Norton AV and firewall that came with your
computer, you are completely unprotected and have been for some time. The
version that shipped with your computer was a 60 day trial version, and
unless you paid for an annual subscription, you have not had any protection
since the day it expired.

Bobby

"freetobeme0307" <freetobeme0307@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a705w. It came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton
> Personal Firewall already loaded. I have been reading a lot of posts about
> different programs to use besides Norton. If I download the Microsoft anti
> spyware tool, what else do I need to go with it? How do I know if I
> already
> have Windows firewall?
> In what order do I download and delete programs?
> I need to delete Norton.
> I need to download new security.
> How many different ones do I need to install?
> I keep seeing CW Shredder, Grisoft, Ad-Adware, Pandasoft, Spybot S&D,
> Sygate's, Norton 2005, CA's eTrust, Kasperskyt, McAfee, AntiVir, Avast,
> Trend
> Micro, RAV...and many others.
> I see that I am supposed to disable Windows firewall...don't disable
> anything until I am protected...go to 3 or 4 different places on my
> computer
> to completely uninstall a program...uninstall some of them from the
> web...uninstall some of them from what is already on the compute...
> download
> programs to uninstall...it goes on and on and on...
> I am really confused at this point. I don't know who's advice to follow.
> It
> seems as though every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.
> What is a beginner to do?
> Thanks in advance for any help. And please, no smart-aleck or rude
> remarks...only helpful information...I just want to protect my computer
> from
> the beginning.
> (I will be reading and learning as much as I can as fast as I can from
> this
> website and the referred websites which I really appreciate.)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:41:32 AM

Start here:

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

Protect Your PC

> ...every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.

Yep, that's true.

Have you subscribed to NAV 2004? The subscription that comes with the
pre-installed version is only a 3-month trial usually.

If you decide to use another anti-virus application (even NAV 2005), please
uninstall NAV 2004 via Add/Remove Programs before installing the new one.

If you have a third-party firewall enabled, you don't need the Windows
Firewall enabled, too.

Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall (WinXP and WinXP
SP1 only)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320855

Understanding Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/inter...

In all versions of WinXP, the Windows Firewall is a one-way firewall
(incoming only).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

freetobeme0307 wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion a705w. It came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton
> Personal Firewall already loaded. I have been reading a lot of posts about
> different programs to use besides Norton. If I download the Microsoft anti
> spyware tool, what else do I need to go with it? How do I know if I
> already
> have Windows firewall?
> In what order do I download and delete programs?
> I need to delete Norton.
> I need to download new security.
> How many different ones do I need to install?
> I keep seeing CW Shredder, Grisoft, Ad-Adware, Pandasoft, Spybot S&D,
> Sygate's, Norton 2005, CA's eTrust, Kasperskyt, McAfee, AntiVir, Avast,
> Trend Micro, RAV...and many others.
> I see that I am supposed to disable Windows firewall...don't disable
> anything until I am protected...go to 3 or 4 different places on my
> computer
> to completely uninstall a program...uninstall some of them from the
> web...uninstall some of them from what is already on the compute...
> download
> programs to uninstall...it goes on and on and on...
> I am really confused at this point. I don't know who's advice to follow.
> It
> seems as though every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.
> What is a beginner to do?
> Thanks in advance for any help. And please, no smart-aleck or rude
> remarks...only helpful information...I just want to protect my computer
> from
> the beginning.
> (I will be reading and learning as much as I can as fast as I can from
> this
> website and the referred websites which I really appreciate.)
July 20, 2005 3:55:02 AM

A local computer club has classes.
The local library has classes
Practice
Practice by opening each program | F1 for help
Read the intro.
Close and go to the next program until you have read the intro in all of
them.
=======================================
Best regards with your searching, Gary 'Doc' Adams
New Orleans, Louisiana - USA
Lsu @ msn.com
http://searchingforfamily.org
~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
=======================================

"freetobeme0307" <freetobeme0307@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a705w. It came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton
> Personal Firewall already loaded. I have been reading a lot of posts about
> different programs to use besides Norton. If I download the Microsoft anti
> spyware tool, what else do I need to go with it? How do I know if I
> already
> have Windows firewall?
> In what order do I download and delete programs?
> I need to delete Norton.
> I need to download new security.
> How many different ones do I need to install?
> I keep seeing CW Shredder, Grisoft, Ad-Adware, Pandasoft, Spybot S&D,
> Sygate's, Norton 2005, CA's eTrust, Kasperskyt, McAfee, AntiVir, Avast,
> Trend
> Micro, RAV...and many others.
> I see that I am supposed to disable Windows firewall...don't disable
> anything until I am protected...go to 3 or 4 different places on my
> computer
> to completely uninstall a program...uninstall some of them from the
> web...uninstall some of them from what is already on the compute...
> download
> programs to uninstall...it goes on and on and on...
> I am really confused at this point. I don't know who's advice to follow.
> It
> seems as though every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.
> What is a beginner to do?
> Thanks in advance for any help. And please, no smart-aleck or rude
> remarks...only helpful information...I just want to protect my computer
> from
> the beginning.
> (I will be reading and learning as much as I can as fast as I can from
> this
> website and the referred websites which I really appreciate.)
July 20, 2005 1:53:47 PM

If the subscription for Norton has expired you have no protection.
If you open Norton it will state whether it has expired or is upto date.
To uninstall use Control Panel Add/Remove dialogue
An anti virus app is completely different to an Anti Spyware app - they
serve different purposes
Every one has their own favorite AV app
If you have winxp, and the security fixes have been updated, then the win
firewall will have been activated.
See Win Help to check.
Either subscribe to Norton, or uninstall and install another App

"freetobeme0307" <freetobeme0307@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a HP Pavilion a705w. It came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton
> Personal Firewall already loaded. I have been reading a lot of posts about
> different programs to use besides Norton. If I download the Microsoft anti
> spyware tool, what else do I need to go with it? How do I know if I
already
> have Windows firewall?
> In what order do I download and delete programs?
> I need to delete Norton.
> I need to download new security.
> How many different ones do I need to install?
> I keep seeing CW Shredder, Grisoft, Ad-Adware, Pandasoft, Spybot S&D,
> Sygate's, Norton 2005, CA's eTrust, Kasperskyt, McAfee, AntiVir, Avast,
Trend
> Micro, RAV...and many others.
> I see that I am supposed to disable Windows firewall...don't disable
> anything until I am protected...go to 3 or 4 different places on my
computer
> to completely uninstall a program...uninstall some of them from the
> web...uninstall some of them from what is already on the compute...
download
> programs to uninstall...it goes on and on and on...
> I am really confused at this point. I don't know who's advice to follow.
It
> seems as though every "expert" on every forum has a different opinion.
> What is a beginner to do?
> Thanks in advance for any help. And please, no smart-aleck or rude
> remarks...only helpful information...I just want to protect my computer
from
> the beginning.
> (I will be reading and learning as much as I can as fast as I can from
this
> website and the referred websites which I really appreciate.)
July 21, 2005 1:21:03 PM

AVG (Anti-virus) free for home PC - Excellent - better than Norton.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/ln...
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.