Reinstall of Operating System ????

Hi,

I had a problem which could only be fixed by reinstalling XP Pro over itself.
When i finished the install my old C: Drive is appearing as the D: drive and
my D: Drive is appearing as the C: Drive

XP is still using the D: Drive as my boot drive and all my files are intact
but all my installed programs are not registered because they are now on the
D:Drive
Also id like to fix up the folders so that i dont have all the extra folders
created by the new OS install

Thanks in advance

The solution is another clean install. This time disconnect all hard drives
(also Zip drives, etc) but the one you want the system on so that C: will be
assigned as the drive letter. Do it now before you go any further
installing software.

"Dancing_Noodles" <DancingNoodles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E8B8D2C7-FC25-4C7D-B1B1-089F8C28F33D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I had a problem which could only be fixed by reinstalling XP Pro over
> itself.
> When i finished the install my old C: Drive is appearing as the D: drive
> and
> my D: Drive is appearing as the C: Drive
>
> XP is still using the D: Drive as my boot drive and all my files are
> intact
> but all my installed programs are not registered because they are now on
> the
> D:Drive
> Also id like to fix up the folders so that i dont have all the extra
> folders
> created by the new OS install
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi,

1) Programs need to be reinstalled regardless of location if you did a clean
reinstallation.

2) You can't rename D as C and vice versa, you are stuck with them.
Actually, you are only stuck with D, C can be renamed anything you please.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dancing_Noodles" <DancingNoodles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E8B8D2C7-FC25-4C7D-B1B1-089F8C28F33D@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I had a problem which could only be fixed by reinstalling XP Pro over
> itself.
> When i finished the install my old C: Drive is appearing as the D: drive
> and
> my D: Drive is appearing as the C: Drive
>
> XP is still using the D: Drive as my boot drive and all my files are
> intact
> but all my installed programs are not registered because they are now on
> the
> D:Drive
> Also id like to fix up the folders so that i dont have all the extra
> folders
> created by the new OS install
>
> Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS